Orbiting "Drone" turret

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    So I had an idea to create a turret that would orbit my ship. The set up was simple:

MAIN SHIP > SHIP 2 docked to a rotor. Off of SHIP 2 I built out into space roughly 200m and placed a turret mount. Off of that I docked a "drone" which is actually just a turret docked to SHIP 2. Turned on the rotor and now SHIP 2 is spinning the "drone" (turret) around the main ship.

So I take it to a pirate base, the "drone" fires away as it is spinning around the main ship, BUT it does not turn at all. It is fixed forward and will not rotate the way a turret should to face a target.

Manually checked the "drone" and it is able to turn 360 in every direction. It has plenty of mass enhancers, just will not move on its own....

Now my question is; is the s bug or intentional? Are turrets on Docked (ship 2) entities not suppose to move?
    I really could have sworn I have seen them move before =/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It worked in this video... though, the ship WAS docked to a station and not another ship....

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've never had my turrets that do that have any issue. Do you have the AI on?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I have essentially the same set up as in the video. Course my turret is moving much slower and on a ship rather then a station. hmm bug then? I will play around with it some more.

The AI is indeed on...

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Do you have mass enhancers for it, if it's big enough?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Course I have enough enhancers XD

It randomly started working, then randomly stopped working.... I will call that one a bug

Thanks for the advice anyways :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Course I have enough enhancers XD

It randomly started working, then randomly stopped working.... I will call that one a bug

Thanks for the advice anyways :)
    you do have power for the enhancers right? they need power, at least that's what I know

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    hmm I don't think power was the problem. As I said, seems to work on and off. Here is the WIP blue print. There are 4 total drone spinner with 5 drone mounts. There is one drone attached. The turret/drone mounts are marked with red lights, and the rotors are in the belly of the ship. feel free to play around with it :)

it also has a extendable mining arm. the idea is this is a mobile mining platfourm and hauler. I can park it in an asteroid field, suck up asteroids and then move to the next field. I also plan to add a automated rail miner that I can dock to planets and mine them that way instead of sucking them up from space.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hmm I don't think power was the problem. As I said, seems to work on and off. Here is the WIP blue print. There are 4 total drone spinner with 5 drone mounts. There is one drone attached. The turret/drone mounts are marked with red lights, and the rotors are in the belly of the ship. feel free to play around with it :)

it also has a extendable mining arm. the idea is this is a mobile mining platfourm and hauler. I can park it in an asteroid field, suck up asteroids and then move to the next field. I also plan to add a automated rail miner that I can dock to planets and mine them that way instead of sucking them up from space.
    what about changing the rotor into a turret axis? it shouldn't be a big problem, even makes the turret better. though if your goal is to make it look cool then it won't work.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Sounds like either a lack of enhancers or a lack or power for the enhancers. You have enhancers on the turret's base, the thing the turret is docked to, AND the ship, right? Also keep in mind that enhancers "enhance" for 5 mass each, and take 25 e/sec (per enhancer block).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    As I have already said twice, it works on and off :) more specifically if it stops working I need turn the AI on and off to get it moving again. And sometime it just wakes back up on it's own heh.

But overall the concept does work and looks pretty cool :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    It works ok for me i just had to slow it down a bit and the blueprint you had there seemed to have a few phantom links to the speed controller. With my setup the targets remained on the horizontal plane with relation to my turret in your mining rig setup though your turret is rolling with relation to the target, if the rig is pointing at it.

Also in my video the target is inside the orbit area so the turrets didn't have to swing as far.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I've been researching this too.

My goal was to make an "orbit fighter" style turret. For some reason, the turrets stop engaging enemy targets while orbiting the main craft. If I turn the orbit off, they lock on to the enemy and open fire like normal but they will not orbit and engage at the same time. If this is a bug, I hope they fix it soon. I've had to settle for fixed "formation" fighter/turrets. They work well as they are but it would be cool to have them orbit.
    Falcon Force.jpg
    Close air support.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm not sure if your having the same issue I originally did, but I managed to get mine to work. I had to dock the turrets to a "pylon" ship (essentially a core, rail docker and turret axis) then dock that assembly to the main ship. Now the turret orbits the main ship and locks on to enemies.