Now that we don't have disks for planets any more...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1. The planets don't need to render immersion-breaking, ugly discs from afar.
    2. Atmosphere spheres should no longer be transparent from far away since you don't have to see exactly what your approach angle is just to land on a planet (which was stupid; thank goodness we have these planets now, though instanced planets would've been better)
    3. Perhaps the textures from the discs could be repurposed and remapped as a second layer of the outer sphere.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The atmospheres still serve the purpose of being able to see a planet from a very far distance, but yes, I'd like to see them prettied up and made nice, but I'm sure that's coming anyways. ^^

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The atmospheres still serve the purpose of being able to see a planet from a very far distance, but yes, I'd like to see them prettied up and made nice, but I'm sure that's coming anyways. ^^
    I didn't say to remove atmospheres, I said to remove the coins that are rendered inside of them, which were originally "markers" for the planet discs so you didn't accidentally try to land and slam into the bottom part of the disc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Wait they got rid of disk worlds? I JUST reset my universe.. crap lol

Reaction score
    Wait they got rid of disk worlds? I JUST reset my universe.. crap lol
    Ahhh, the pains of alpha...

Don't worry - I think they plan to allow you to keep your developed disc planets in the newer updates that generate dodecahedral planets. Don't quote me on it, though. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ahhh, the pains of alpha...

Don't worry - I think they plan to allow you to keep your developed disc planets in the newer updates that generate dodecahedral planets. Don't quote me on it, though. :)
    Oh no I didn't mean I didn't like it, I meant I had just started work on a new planet in a new universe. I'll just transfer my ships over and cut my losses on my planet. lol

Reaction score
    Oh no I didn't mean I didn't like it, I meant I had just started work on a new planet in a new universe. I'll just transfer my ships over and cut my losses on my planet. lol
    Don't worry, I was just giving you a hard time!

Positive statement: At least you get to make some of your builds even better the second time around. :)

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yay, planets now render little dodecahedrons in the middle of them when viewed from far away... Still not GREAT but better. Personally, I don't see why they can't just do away with the floating shapes altogether and make the model spherical.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    1. The planets don't need to render immersion-breaking, ugly discs from afar.
    2. Atmosphere spheres should no longer be transparent from far away since you don't have to see exactly what your approach angle is just to land on a planet (which was stupid; thank goodness we have these planets now, though instanced planets would've been better)
    3. Perhaps the textures from the discs could be repurposed and remapped as a second layer of the outer sphere.

First. Instanced Planets Suck.

This guy Died for Round Planets. Pay your Respects.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

De la Causa, Principio et Uno (On Cause, Principle and Unity, 1584),
    De l'Infinito Universo et Mondi (On the Infinite Universe and Worlds, 1584)

On Topic. The Planets are looking really nice in the latest Dev Build and I am sure they will not disappoint.