Newbie question on shielding

Reaction score
    Hi, everyone.
    I am currently building what is probably a small "world" ship that spans around 1000 meters long and 300 meters tall and wide. I was wondering just how much shielding is usually on a ship of this size, since, at the moment, it has over six or seven million and that is just from the skeleton alone. My capital, the Feral Shard, currently has a little over three million and is about half the size. Is this, for the most part a good amount of shielding, or am I just fooling myself?

Reaction score
    That totally depends on its purpose. Ships with a detailed interior naturally have less systems.
    Is it a military, diplomatic, trading, mining, personal, or whatever vessel?

I have no direct answer to your question.

(I don't know what to make of world ship.)

Reaction score
    Well, at the moment, it is going to be a base to build off of more varients, such as a civilian world ship, a flag ship and an orbital drop ship. What if it is a military based ship? The shielding at the moment is part of the exoskeleton, with dedicated blocks of shielding planned for inside. As far as detail, there will probably be only a few rooms within the military variant, such as cryo chambers, meeting area, engine rooms, bridge, etc.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Well, at the moment, it is going to be a base to build off of more varients, such as a civilian world ship, a flag ship and an orbital drop ship. What if it is a military based ship? The shielding at the moment is part of the exoskeleton, with dedicated blocks of shielding planned for inside. As far as detail, there will probably be only a few rooms within the military variant, such as cryo chambers, meeting area, engine rooms, bridge, etc.
    In general, one fills all remaining space(after filling in other systems and an interior) with shield capacitors and generators.

Reaction score
    In general, one fills all remaining space(after filling in other systems and an interior) with shield capacitors and generators.
    Alright, so just fill in the blanks instead of actual dedicated blocks. I know shield generator don't need to be any specific order in order to work, but is it the same thing with shield generators?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Alright, so just fill in the blanks instead of actual dedicated blocks. I know shield generator don't need to be any specific order in order to work, but is it the same thing with shield generators?
    Yes

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    My input is this. Many people like to throw massive amounts of systems into a ship. Many people care less about interior space than the stats or the exterior design. If you want to completely wreck ships then pack as much stuff in. If you want to improve building skills then layout larger interiors then fill it with systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hi, everyone.
    I am currently building what is probably a small "world" ship that spans around 1000 meters long and 300 meters tall and wide. I was wondering just how much shielding is usually on a ship of this size, since, at the moment, it has over six or seven million and that is just from the skeleton alone. My capital, the Feral Shard, currently has a little over three million and is about half the size. Is this, for the most part a good amount of shielding, or am I just fooling myself?
    post a pic of it, what is its mass?

Reaction score
    Here is a pic of it, the Darkened Mirror. It's mass is over 18000 at the moment. starmade-screenshot-0051.png
    Sorry if the image isn't very good. I have a fleet nearby and haven't moved from the spot for days.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    i personaly try to get 20million or more sheild capacity with about 1/4 - 1/2 sheild regen
    (due to the fact its not hard to make a small 100 radius ball of death that can easily take down 14 mil sheilds in 1 hit )

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    i personaly try to get 20million or more sheild capacity with about 1/4 - 1/2 sheild regen
    (due to the fact its not hard to make a small 100 radius ball of death that can easily take down 14 mil sheilds in 1 hit )
    20 million shields with 10 million shield regen per second? You'd benefit a lot more from more shield capacity then that much regen, especially considering that sustaining it power wise is just.... eh....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes the power issues are a major problem...
    once it starts taking high powered hits im drifting.... least i can still fire off the swarm missles lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As ship size increases the usefulness of capacity over regen also increases. Power is the main variable holding back having a huge amount of regen and still being able to fight.