New TOS

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    "We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation."
    That seems unappropriated for a public discussion forum.

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."
    By definition of copyright, this is 100% impossible.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Moved to Site Support.

"We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation."

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."
    The first part is fairly necessary, it allows us to judge content and remove it or modify it if we do not wish, or others do not wish to display it on this forum. Most forums require this in one way or another, if you have read their TOS. Otherwise we wouldn't have any real control over the content that is on here.

The second part is not impossible, when you accept the TOS you are giving us the right to do it. The TOS is fairly standard and has been created by lawyers for the most part, and has been thoroughly checked.

"If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    "the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't think it's a problem. They are creators of site of the game They are making. They are the gods here.

English is not my native language and i'm not a lawyer but i think it is possible to keep copyright (exclusive right for content) while sharing a license for use. We remain creators of content and game Devs don't want to take a title of creators from us, They just want to be able to use content shared by us, in any way They wish.

Reactions: DukeofRealms

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    rece ktore leczo summed it up really.

For context, the work i have contributed to the game via textures is still solely mine regarding copyright. However i have given consent for their use in the game.

Accepting the TOS is essentially doing the same.

You are not relinquishing your copyright of content. You are allowing others a non exclusive use. I'm pretty sure it's just a clause to help allow staff to moderate the content of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    This is probably simply to make it so that they can use awesome ships people upload to help advertise the game

Reaction score
    Would these TOS have any effect on the usage of CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC or CC-BY-ND licenses of stuff posted in Community Content? I would not be willing to grant a separate "TOS license", if you understand what I'm getting at.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Would these TOS have any effect on the usage of CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC or CC-BY-ND licenses of stuff posted in Community Content? I would not be willing to grant a separate "TOS license", if you understand what I'm getting at.
    That is the same thing I have been wondering; have I given my software I have written and published here to the starmadedock owners?

therimmer96

Reaction score
    That is the same thing I have been wondering; have I given my software I have written and published here to the starmadedock owners?
    You didn't publish it here though. it is on your site, so you are just advertising it here. so as far as I am aware, it is all yours and they have no rights. I believe this only covers things uploaded directly to the site

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You didn't publish it here though. it is on your site, so you are just advertising it here. so as far as I am aware, it is all yours and they have no rights. I believe this only covers things uploaded directly to the site
    Then the TOS should have that condition added to clear things up.

Reaction score
    Then the TOS should have that condition added to clear things up.
    Nah, that's pretty straightforward. Think of it the other way around. If you'd grant every site owner exploitation rights of your stuff just by linking to it, then this would mean that everyone could create massive confusion by posting links somewhere and claiming to be the creator.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    In short even if you do upload it here, no. You are still the owner, you have just given us rights to the software. The part of the TOS you are concerned about, is the default for every XenForo forum out there.

The TOS is subject to change and it will be adapting to the forums needs over time.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    In short even if you do upload it here, no. You are still the owner, you have just given us rights to the software. The part of the TOS you are concerned about, is the default for every XenForo forum out there.

The TOS is subject to change and it will be adapting to the forums needs over time.
    Could you clarify? so he owns it, and you just are allowed to use it how ever you like without having to ask him. despite the fact that this is on his site and not yours?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Could you clarify? so he owns it, and you just are allowed to use it how ever you like without having to ask him. despite the fact that this is on his site and not yours?
    We would only have rights to remove, move, alter the content he has posted on the forums, so the text he has put on here. It is only for moderational purposes, and if we are able to change the TOS to suit moderation needs and easily clarify that we are not going to use your content for whatever we like, we will.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    There we go, thanks.

Simply gravy, they have no right over any of the program itself :)