Implemented New Logic Block "Randomizer"

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So there is no way to do any kind of true random output in Starmade logic. The best we can do as far as I know is simulate a random output based on the timing of clocks but this only works with a manual input as any timed circuit will always have the timing match at some point.

The Randomizer block when it receives a High signal will output a High signal randomly to one of it's connected blocks while the others stay Low. When the signal goes Low again all the outputs will return Low.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Technically speaking computers are incapable of creating true random numbers. The best random number generators use radio waves and atmospheric noise rather than logic systems. It's just how logic gates work - they can't generate illogical things.

Sven_The_Slayer , I'm curious for what you would use a randomizer block?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Technically speaking computers are incapable of creating true random numbers. The best random number generators use radio waves and atmospheric noise rather than logic systems. It's just how logic gates work - they can't generate illogical things.

Sven_The_Slayer , I'm curious for what you would use a randomizer block?
    I know there is no true random in computers but a programmed pseudorandom output would be much better than anything we can do in game. Redstoner engineers create random variables in Minecraft by exploiting the random nature of dispensers, we don't have anything to bend to our will like that.

Let's see, one person already built a slot machine, I'm sure he would appreciate actually having a random output instead of relying on manual input based on the cycle of clocks. Other uses off the top of my head, randomized running lights, cover for Astronaut PVP arenas, fire work displays, dynamic engine glow...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, a (pseudo)random output generator would be nice. I'd probably use it for decorative indicators and things like that.

wat

Reaction score
    Let's see, one person already built a slot machine, I'm sure he would appreciate actually having a random output instead of relying on manual input based on the cycle of clocks.
    I built a slot machine a while ago as well, and a random block would basically have made the entire thing like 3% of the original size. I ended up building an 8bit Linear Feedback Shift Register for my Pseudo Random Numbers and that worked pretty well. Also building the RNG is the fun part :P. But for more applications, having a block that could generate random numbers with way more entropy would certainly save a lot of time, and allow for a lot more uses.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So there is no way to do any kind of true random output in Starmade logic. The best we can do as far as I know is simulate a random output based on the timing of clocks but this only works with a manual input as any timed circuit will always have the timing match at some point.

The Randomizer block when it receives a High signal will output a High signal randomly to one of it's connected blocks while the others stay Low. When the signal goes Low again all the outputs will return Low.
    I think this would be useful, especially if more features are implemented in the game, such as display modules that can have their text changed based on another display module. (Think quests or dynamic dialogue)

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    That's a good idea, really. But how do you imagine this RNG? Like an activation block which could not turn on when activated? Like: you activate it 100 times but it turns roughly 50 times on and you cannot predict whether or not the next time it will be on. In MC dispenser-based RNGs produced output with level from 0 to 15. Here we have 1 and 0 only.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That's a good idea, really. But how do you imagine this RNG? Like an activation block which could not turn on when activated? Like: you activate it 100 times but it turns roughly 50 times on and you cannot predict whether or not the next time it will be on. In MC dispenser-based RNGs produced output with level from 0 to 15. Here we have 1 and 0 only.
    Connect 1 randomizer to 10 blocks. You now have a 0 to 9 output. If you use each output as a single digit number.. and build additional groups.. let's say.. 10 more groups, then you can create a random number between 0 and 99,999,999,999.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm sure this idea would find a lot of use, but I wouldn't worry too much about the implementation. If I had to imagine, I'd say the client generates a random number with Math.random()*$NUMBER_OF_CONNECTED_OUTPUTS, looks it up in the table of connections, then sends the ouptut to the server just as if you had signaled that output manually.

Reaction score
    Yah. Would help if I had read the whole thread. I tried to go back and delete the post but it wouldn't let me.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I thought they implemented a random block
    Randomizer Block, not Random block.
    [doublepost=1479633896,1479633823][/doublepost]Now I only revived this thread so I could let that fantastic guy know to change tags to what it is needed to be respectively. Please end the replies and let this thread age with the rest.
    [doublepost=1479633968][/doublepost]
    They did, its not been updated yet. If Criss has some time this would be a good one to list as implemented :D
    Already said that before you did Nightrune bud.

Reactions: nightrune