New engine types

Reaction score
    Right now we only have one engine (boring), but I was thinking, what if there were other types of engines that maxed out at a speed of 100 or warp drive engines getting you across the galaxy in under a minute!

1: Warp drive engines- maxing out at a speed of 1500 it can take you anywhere really fast, be warned, after a warp you will lose power for 10 seconds, if a pirate is there, you are a goner.

2: Ion engines- good for giant slow moving ships, or if you just want to slightly adjust your orbit speed of 15

3:Super sonic engines- maxing out at 200 they make a great interesting race to get out of the way of pirates I warned you about warp drive :P

4:Nuclear engines- the most efficient engine in the galaxy going at a whopping 65 max speed warning if they hit your nuclear source... BOOM!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes and no
    Warp drives, part of me says yes, the other no.
    I love the idea, and it would be really fun, but it should have a huge cooldown, and use up a ton of power if it were to be used. your shields would go down, you\'d essentially lose control of the ship for the entirety of its use, and maybe, like you said, for a few seconds after. Idk it would be really hard to balance correctly, but its a neat idea that id love to use.

ion engines are a must, i want to be able to adjust my positioning and movement in my big ships without propelling where i dont want to go..

Super sonic, maybe, but on smaller ships, i dont want to see battle cruisers speed past a ship thats half its size

And i like the idea of a nuclear engine where you have to literally build a reactor bay for containing it, the engine would have to be very very powerful, and only for giant ships, (i guess that could counterbalance the super sonic)
    and i like the idea that if your reactor gets hit, your ship\'s engine explodes into many tiny hull pieces

Reaction score
    and yeah the supersonic engines would have only a certain amount of blocks can be placed kind of thing

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Great ideas! Though the warp drive, maybe to balance, should only beable for 5 secs at a time with a 30 sec cooldown. Costs all power, and depending on power recharge rate.... you could die?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thoughts on DoggyDog08 engines:

1. I like the idea of Warp, but perhaps it can be in the form of warp gates that can\'t transport themselves, but rather other ships. They could require a warp computer, warp cores, and adaquate power modules. Perhaps something like 10 warp cores on the warp gate per block on the ship you\'re trying to transport. The Warp Computer could be configured to go to whichever sector your navigation is set to.

2. Ion Engines sounds like a good idea, at least as I understand them to be. Quick acceleration/mass ratio, with a very slow top speed.

3. I also like the super sonic engines idea. The first super sonic engine could give a lot of thrust, and subsequent engines add significantly less thrust. That would limit the engines to only be useful on ships with low mass, since engine stacking wouldn\'t work well.

4. The nuclear engines could have some fun properties. In addition to needing to be protected, you would also want to keep them in an external engine compartment so that if they do blow up, they don\'t take out the rest of the ship. They could also require engine cooling blocks so that they don\'t overheat. This could limit their use to larger ships that can hold enough cooling. Also, they could be independent of power blocks, since they are mostly self sustaining.