New Elevator Design (Rails + Wirless Logic)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm waiting for the actual update before playing with the rails, so I'll ask you. Would it be possible to mount a rail system on a rail system, both moving in the same direction? If it could be set up, you would double the speed of your elevator, as one slides along the length of the other that is also sliding. I used to do this with sliders in an old (favorite) game called RoboForge, stacking them multiple times to get crazy speeds.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Really impressive, awesome.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm waiting for the actual update before playing with the rails, so I'll ask you. Would it be possible to mount a rail system on a rail system, both moving in the same direction? If it could be set up, you would double the speed of your elevator, as one slides along the length of the other that is also sliding. I used to do this with sliders in an old (favorite) game called RoboForge, stacking them multiple times to get crazy speeds.
    If the following post link is showing the animation straight out of the game, like I suspect, it is possible to mount multiple rails together for better speed and length.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/variable-speed-rails.6861/#post-98074

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    By the same logic, you might then speed up turret rotation by using multiple rotating blocks?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If the following post link is showing the animation straight out of the game, like I suspect, it is possible to mount multiple rails together for better speed and length.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/variable-speed-rails.6861/#post-98074
    Yes I was able to convert my simple elevator into a version using duel rails. It's not perfectly faster as my floors were odd numbers, so it moves at regular speed 1 out of every 5 meters. It is faster but the complexity really grows. I guess if I was building a rather large space station it might be worth it.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Just to point this out, it's possible that having multiple rails on each other will not allow simultaneous movement on all of them. You could potentially do 10 rails on each other and make it go so fast that, if the ship on it has a high enough mass, it could cause serious problem in case of collisions.

The same concern about rotaters rotating at a fixed speed independent of dimension/mass of its docked ship, this will probably be changed too.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I did a little live streaming today and built an elevator in anticipation for when wireless logic was working. When I got home from work I checked back and much to my enjoyment I found a new dev release with working wireless logic!

Can you release the Ultimate Elevator as a download I would like to implement it to use on my ship.