Need Competent Hosting Company

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this belongs in help rather than servers as it's a request for advice vs promoting a server.

I'm in need of a fairly inexpensive hosting company (around $10/10 players there's about 5-6 of us only). Does anyone know of any that they've had a good experience with? Preferably one that actually lets you manage your own updates.

I was originally running a dedicated server on the desktop that I was playing the game on with a couple of friends and I decided to migrate to smprohosting thinking if it's good enough for the Thunderdome it's good enough for me. It'd been acceptable for a couple days, though the retooled multicraft pannel was missing some functionality. But no control over when/if it updates (to the point where it attempts to update while players are logged on) and now it's caught in a loop whenever it tries to start up it crashes, stops, then tries to start again. I figured I'd make a backup, copy that over to my desktop and run it there until the issue was resolved when I realized that clicking "Backup" just creates an empty world.zip folder.

The more I look into them the more negative feedback I seem to find about smprohosting, so if anyone knows of a better starmade hosting company it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
    I\'m, myself, in the process of starting up a public server. And my plan was to try out SMProHosting for the first month - since they are recommended.

But your post has made me hesitate on that decision.

Wasn\'t it possible to connect with FileZilla and edit/download backups/put in new files through that way? That was how i handled poor \"toolboxed\" hosts when i ran a minecraft server, and it worked pefectly fine thanks to that.

I would really appreciate an answer from you, or anyone else who knows.

Have a nice day. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The FTP did work, I used winscp myself, but just the three of us had created a large server-database folder which (as far as I know) contains the world data. So trying to copy that over took several hours and it kept disconnecting me during the transfer.

Plus when the server did come back online it appeared that the server-database got corrupted somehow. Our station base and ships and else was simply gone.

Personally if someone is going to reuse a tool and can\'t change how it makes a backup from world.zip to server-database.zip, it screams incompetence.

I\'ve been trying out multiplay since my original post and so far so good. the clanforge interface seems to be fucntional and actually configured to work with starmade as well as having FTP access.

In addition to that I\'ve been able to get 2gb of ram (though still a 10 player slot server) for $2 more than I was paying smpro. I can post here if I do run into any problems with them though.