NCC-1701-A

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Working on a 1:1 (almost) scale, functional, Enterprise.

Download the empty hull here: http://star-made.org/node/5492

Just finished the outer hull, shuttle bay, and bridge. Working on cargobay next and enginerring.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here are some previous pics of the framework being built.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really think yours is nicer than mine. I was working off of a 3D model (that I converted to a voxel format, then viewed in a 3d based voxel model viewer that allows you to look at the model in layers). Obviously the model I used was nowhere near as accurate or detailed as what you were working off of.
    I was pretty proud of myself until I saw this.

Anyway I\'d love to get the body file if you\'d send it my way: [email protected]

Here is my piece of shit car:

Ship stats are in the photo above. They can be increased quite a bit, but the ship as you see it already costs over $56 Million.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That voxel program sounds cool. What is it called and how could I get it?

The pylons that hold up the nacelles look a lot straighter than mine in your model. I don\'t like how it looks clumpy in mine-- wish it were more smooth and straight.

I\'ll send you what I have, but the inside is barely started. I guess that\'s a good thing because you can either fill it with functional blocks (like shields and weapons) or create empty rooms to be a replica. The inside won\'t be accurate too, it\'s an adaptation-- there\'s not enough deck space inside.

The current shuttle bay can dock a small shuttle craft. But without turbolifts, it\'s hard to move inside the ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Very nice work there. Regardless of you issue with the pylons, its a nery impressive build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That voxel program sounds cool. What is it called and how could I get it?

The pylons that hold up the nacelles look a lot straighter than mine in your model. I don\'t like how it looks clumpy in mine-- wish it were more smooth and straight.

I\'ll send you what I have, but the inside is barely started. I guess that\'s a good thing because you can either fill it with functional blocks (like shields and weapons) or create empty rooms to be a replica. The inside won\'t be accurate too, it\'s an adaptation-- there\'s not enough deck space inside.

The current shuttle bay can dock a small shuttle craft. But without turbolifts, it\'s hard to move inside the ship.

The apps for doing the work with the models are called \"Binvox\" and \"Viewvox\". They are both command line utilities run via the command promps, and are compatible with Linux, OSX, and Windows. They were originally developed for use with minecraft, but I find them to be very helpful in StarMade as well.
    Binvox is used to convert the model file from it\'s regular format to a voxelized model, then Viewvox is used to view the voxel based model and aid in construction.

Here is the site of the developer of both utilities: http://www.patrickmin.com/minecraft/
    He gives you an overview of exactly what the utilites can do, links to guides and walkthroughs to help you, and there are even wiki entries giving you all the various command line paramiters that each utility uses.
    It may seem complicated but it\'s not. Here is an example of the command line I used to convert my 3d model in binvox:
    binvox -d 310 constitution.obj
    That command tells binvox to convert the constitution.obj model so it is 310m in length (grid size of 310). By default it would output the model as a voxelized \".binvox\" file, in this case \"constitution.binvox\". Then to open it in viewvox I\'d use:
    viewvox constitution.binvox
    Then the GUI for viewvox would launch. That\'s where the real fun begins.
    This page will be your friend: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors/Binvox it has all the controls for viewvox listed, and the command line paramiters for viewvox.

Now on to the fun stuff. The pylons I pretty much just went by the model I was working off of. I think I only had to move one or two blocks. There were a few spots where I took a bit of an artistic license in order to smooth things out just a tat, but we\'re only talking a couple blocks here or there. 99% of it was from following the model I used.
    Just save a copy of the ship, and fly around it alot smothing out the pylons until you\'re happy. If you screw it up you can always /destroy_entity and spawn another from the blueprint.

I\'m not sorried about the inside at all. I\'d rather fill that up myself hehe. I\'ll also send you a copy of mine so can do whatever you want with it. What I\'m most likely to do is use yours as a study guide. I really want to take a close look at how you\'re using those angled blocks (I\'m not very good with those yet). I\'m also curious what the internal space is like, because I think you have more room in the saucer than me.
    And yeah, mine is the same way with regard to deck space. One block = 3m, and there are obviously things like floors and ceilings and walls that are much thinner. I think I was able to get 6 or 7 decks in the engineering section (plus extra armor).
    I have a shuttle bay as well, hehe, but never made the shuttle. I did try to put those station lifts in, but it said stations only, so I decided not to put in gravity... so there is a turbo lift (or shaft at least) from the engineering section to the saucer (with tons of doors for reinforcement). I made the thing to be shot at (but not to be invincible). It can defeat itself (I\'ve tested it).

But please, send! [email protected]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OH, before I forget. I\'ve been talking to the creator of the utilities, and he said that on Windows the max conversion size (the maximum size you can scale any model) in binvox is 1024. HOWEVER on Linux you can go all the way up to 4000 something (4096 I believe).
    So if you are working in windows and have something that\'s over 1024m in size, either use linux or go into blender or something and break apart the model, out put it in smaller sections, and work on it that way.

Eventually someone will create an editor that can save in StarMades BP format. When they do I think that\'ll bridge the gap between this and building in game. Imagine taking a model file and pretty much converting/importing it directly in game as a BP, then just finishing it off. To hell with Building then. I\'ll just model everything in Blender!

Reaction score
    Really cool !

How many time you have needed to make it ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ship looks great but adding those wedges was a bad idea; the ship\'s detail looks bad with them and its a bit of an eyesore