Native Punch-through Effect on Cannons

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I see that cannon modules have a "native" punch through effect, per the wiki:
    https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Cannon_Computer

From looking through player ships, I also see that people are still linking punch-through computers to cannons. Do the punch-through systems add additional effect?

How much effect does the native punch-through add?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You might be looking at some older blueprints from when they didn't have a native punch effect

Reaction score
    punch through effect has a different effect now, it increases weapon damage by a percentage

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes adding effects is still beneficial.

Each cannon is 1000 modules, 500/500 for ones with effects.

While you do get a natural punch through effect the different effects change how this is applied.
    • Peirce does double block damage but deals no shield damage at 100% so you can see it digs much farther in.
    • Explosive spreads is damage out to surrounding blocks so it doesn't penetrate as deep.
    • Punch I believe reduces the effectiveness of armor so it too does more damage than the normal cannon.
    • Overdrive doubles all damage at the cost of three times more power so it has the exact same effect on armor but at pierce but at a higher cost.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    thanks sven for the testing! it is this kind of testing i would hope to get along with each and every update.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Overdrive doubles all damage at the cost of three times more power so it has the exact same effect on armor but at pierce but at a higher cost.
    Hmm... The wiki says that overdrive multiplies damage to both shields and blocks by a factor of six and the energy cost by a factor of twelve. What are the chances the wiki is wrong? ;-)

Reaction score
    Hmm... The wiki says that overdrive multiplies damage to both shields and blocks by a factor of six and the energy cost by a factor of twelve. What are the chances the wiki is wrong? ;-)
    Wikis are never wrong they are the one and only true source of universal knowledge.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Or perhaps you could just check the block behavior config and see it all in there :|. Most up to date source too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Or perhaps you could just check the block behavior config and see it all in there :|. Most up to date source too.
    From what I can tell reading that file, overdrive does two times the damage for 'six' times the energy cost, meaning neither the Wiki nor Sven are correct.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    From what I can tell reading that file, overdrive does two times the damage for 'six' times the energy cost, meaning neither the Wiki nor Sven are correct.
    Be aware that the numbers you see there are additive to the base effectiveness of the weapon, not multiplicative with it. The '2' that you see in the blockbehaviorconfig translates to 200% bonus damage instead of x2 damage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Be aware that the numbers you see there are additive to the base effectiveness of the weapon, not multiplicative with it. The '2' that you see in the blockbehaviorconfig translates to 200% bonus damage instead of x2 damage.
    Argh!

So overdrive does three times the damage for six times the energy? Or am I misreading the energy as well?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I didn't know about all those statistics, thanks for the info Sven_The_Slayer ! Didn't know that there was a native effect on cannons either... Dangit, I could have used this knowledge just the other day.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Argh!

So overdrive does three times the damage for six times the energy? Or am I misreading the energy as well?
    You are right, the damage is 2x and the power consumption is 6x... I don't think that's the way it is supposed to be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    You are right, the damage is 2x and the power consumption is 6x... I don't think that's the way it is supposed to be.
    Confusion persists... The blockBehaviorConfig.xml file lists a two for the damage multiplier (and a five for energy), but MrFurb says that that gets added to the one times multiplier of the regular damage (and the five of the energy cost to the one of the energy regular cost), that the two times damage therefor becomes actually a three times damage.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Confusion persists... The blockBehaviorConfig.xml file lists a two for the damage multiplier (and a five for energy), but MrFurb says that that gets added to the one times multiplier of the regular damage (and the five of the energy cost to the one of the energy regular cost), that the two times damage therefor becomes actually a three times damage.
    Practical tests confirm 2 times damage and 6 times power though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I think you may be confusing penetration depth with damage output. As I understand punch through, there are diminishing returns for the depth the damage will penetrate. A 10,000 block cannon will not penetrate ten times deeper than a 1000 block cannon. It will however do ten times the shield damage.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Odd, I'm shooting a 4/4 C/OD weapon right now and am hitting for 240 damage per hit. Are you sure you're testing against non-recharging shields to get correct numbers?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Odd, I'm shooting a 4/4 C/OD weapon right now and am hitting for 240 damage per hit. Are you sure you're testing against non-recharging shields to get correct numbers?
    Oh yeah, sorry, I was just going off the penetration test I did, only had a few minutes to grab the power consumption. Overdrive is 3x damage and 6x power consumption for similar sized guns.

Now that raises a new question, if the damage of the overdrive should technically be more than pierce than why do they deal identical damage? More tests are required.

Reactions: Ithirahad