Mushroom Fleet: Shogunate Season 2 (ending December 2015)

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    MUSHROOM FLEET: SHOGUNATE SEASON 2
    A StarMade Universe, running from: November 2015 - February 2016

OVERVIEW & APPROACH TO CUSTOMIZATION
    Greetings, lifeform. I'm plusnine. You may or may not be familiar with some of the things I've shared here on SMD:
    Over my years of playing the game, one thing I've long appreciated is how many great options Schine has gracefully included for server operators to alter, tweaking to what's right for the people who play on it. I have been admin-ning on Mushroom Fleet, mostly in the background on the server for a few years now, but recently wanted to try my hand at re-game-ify-ing our server's "Shogunate" concept to make gameplay smoother, more enjoyable and more rewarding for our daily players.

If you're interested in joining the server, there's information and a quick-start-quite for that in the first few replies to this post. If you want to read about how we do things on Mushroom Fleet and why, keep on reading. There's a lot of useful information if you decide to join us in the Shroomiverse.

The primary language spoken on the server and Teamspeak is english, but our players come from all over the world.

CURRENCY, TIME & THE PLAYER-DRIVEN ECONOMY
    In Shogunate Season 1, we tried to look at the ways in which players spend their time, and how that could be best translated into a currency that works for them in ways we felt the credit was falling short on a server that wanted to move toward giving players more creative freedom within their claimed systems, without putting the server at risk for griefing or lagging.

Thankfully, many of the variables surrounding cost in the configuration can be set to negligible costs, so things like starting a station, repairing a damaged ship, etc. could all be made to be free, liberating players from needing to ever check in on how many credits they have.

This Season we've tried to make as many ways player can spend time in the game: mining, crafting, fighting pirates, engaging in trade with one another and developing warp infrastructure, even exploration: fun and profitable! (after all, isn't that what your time is worth?)

TOKEN-BASED CURRENCIES & CUSTOM TEXTURES
    After some experimentation, we settled on creating our first custom block, which would be used as a "token": the "Delta", which is a "compressed" in a Basic Factory, using common ore- and crystal-derived refinery byproducts: Alloyed Metal Mesh and Crystal Composite, and culturally equivalent to one million credits in the base game. When we realized we needed a token currency, we wanted to swag it up by making it it's own block. I decided to mess around with StarMade's sorely underutilized custom texture pack feature, and before I knew it, I had filled almost an entire sheet with custom colored hulls, animated displays, faction emblems, and more. The custom texture pack includes blocks like:
    • New hull crafting chains including colors like PINK, TEAL, SLATE, EMERALD, OLIVE, NAVY, CREAM and more!
    • New lights, logic indicators and animated displays
    • Letters, numbers and symbols!

The presence of "tokens" like Deltas means that players can be making Deltas directly in their own factories, by mining any asteroid (or planet if your brain is made of swiss cheese). You can also compress your Deltas into higher orders of magnitude, going from Delta 1 (Bronze), to Delta 10 (Silver), to Delta 100 (Gold), to the "Epic" Delta 1000 (a purple, animated block roughly equivalent to a billion credits!)

Faction Tokens are issued by hand, and can have value as an in-faction currency or a PVP trophy.

Deltas can be redeemed by players multiple ways:

• Spent at token-based "vending machines", created by server staff, prominent factions, and ship-shops created by the players themselves - a great way for players who enjoy mining and crafting to make Deltas securely when offline!
    • Redeemed from server Admins and the Shogun's "Barons" in person at an exchange rate of 1 million credits per Delta, as determined by the prices in the Ship Catalog Manager. Purchases are delivered in the form of a filled blueprint.
    POWER STRUCTURES

BARONS
    Barons are players with long, positive track records on the server. They know the game, they know the community, and most of them have run successful factions, some of them for multiple years running. Barony factions also recruit players. Barons are also trusted by the server staff to resolve Delta transactions in an equitable way by filling blueprints for players.

All barony factions have a large warp gate leading to their home systems from the spawn shop, making it a "Hyperspace Bypass" of sorts. Having a friendly Baron near your territory is a great way to get plugged into server culture, meet other players, and have access to their Hyperspace Bypass gate that can accommodate your most impressive ships! Wealthy players can even buy Hyperspace Bypass gates from Shogunate Joe at the spawn point.

ADMINS
    Admins are a varied group of people on Mushroom Fleet, and not all of them will handle your Delta transactions. Some have limited time and must spend their time on the server focused on things they are building or developing for the server. Some of us have factions players can join, which helps fast-track those Delta Exchanges.

PLAYER FACTIONS
    There are lots of smaller player-driven factions on the server, too, which I think is fantastic! The Barony system is great, but sometimes a player's schedule just can't seem to line up with the Barons or Admins they might want or need. Other times, they just want to feel like your own lifeform. We've made a whole host of changes to the rest of the game so that players (or groups of players) who want to go independent and just experience the universe on their own terms can have an enjoyable go of it, while still getting to participate in, and even benefit from a Delta-based economy.

Here are just a few of the factions that will be operating this Season:

CHANGES FROM THE DEFAULT STARMADE EXPERIENCE
    MINING AND CRAFTING

Most of our long-time players are experienced StarMade players, who have seen the early game many times before, so wanted a way to avoid the need for them to build the same ugly brick-salvager just to get themselves started again. To complement the Delta economy, rather than institute a flat mining bonus, we've generously altered the capsule and mesh yields for every ore and crystal in the game, essentially "buffing the capsule refinery", allowing players who wish to craft, or specialize what they produce in their factories will have a far more direct path to being able to build their projects in game and on the server. Barons have already started selling mining ships for Deltas the form of pre-filled blueprints at the spawn shop, so if you don't have a mining ship of your own saved, but don't feel like building one:

COMBAT
    I am by no means a Starmade combat expert, so I contacted Zero_sen to work with me on designing a fleet of pirates for the new universe that could be used to reward players with Delta currency. I removed all the default pirate stations from the game that we could and replaced them with two difficulties of Zero_sen's deadly Symtech Pirate stations and platforms, and a whole host of pirate ships for players to go head-to-head with on a regular basis:

The stations are designed to be fought by players in groups of 2-4 in ships with about 500k - 1m shields. Most ships 75-200m can find a way to contribute to fighting pirate stations.

To test your knowledge of StarMade combat mechanics and turret AI, each pirate station is fitted with a number of loot Tanks, some of which include high-value Deltas. The loot tanks have no shields of their own, are fitted with Warheads, and Deltas are fragile - if you go in guns blazing, you will blow up your loot! Figuring out how to loot a pirate station can be difficult, but players who pull off a successful raid will find themselves well rewarded.

Bounty hunters rejoice: Pirate ships summoned in as reinforcements also reward players: Each is fitted with a number of Symtech Pirate Emblem blocks, which can be redeemed from a token vendor at the spawn point for Deltas.

There is more PVE action players can look forward to appearing this Season:

• Just like the mining ships, players will be be adding pre-filled combat ships, turrets and specialized station-fighting ships in vending machines at spawn for repeat bounty hunters. If you have a good one, find a baron to fill the blueprints and work on sales commission!
    • Keep building your larger combat vessels, because more combat with the Symtech Pirates, larger, meaner stations is on the way!
    • New threats and alien races to face off in specially prepared systems in in the far reaches of galaxy!
    EXPLORATION
    I wanted to also address the exploration side of the game, and provide players with answers to some of their longstanding wishlists. To that end, All the game's default "decayed" stations have been removed, and replaced with a selection of 22 "Massteroids" - large scale, hollow asteroid stations that Zero_sen and I created in smEdit, all in different colors, sizes, orientations and arrangements. Players can purchase these stations for 10 Delta from an available admin (or Baron, who will relay the request to me) and build a base inside it!

• The first player who can spot all 22 types of asteroids will be given a huge reward! Leave a signature Explorer's League Beacon at the ones you discover, and record the coordinates. When you've got all 22, you win!
    • There are strange alien monuments out there, but they're pretty rare! No one knows what they're for, but I hear Shogunate Joe is interested in collecting them if they are pristine and unspoiled!

In lieu of the Trading Guild stations we've placed Shogunate Repair Beacons (which will repair a damaged vessel for free), Delta Presses (for making cash on the go), Burger Joints (free parking) and other types of stations generated into the fabric of the universe.

Other adventures to look forward to this season:

• Astronaut-mode events like King of the Hill, Spathi Basin!
    • PVE story/quest/dungeon-hack stations!
    TRAVEL SETTINGS
    • Sector size is 4km
    • Jump distance is 12 sectors
    • Warp Gates travel 16 systems.

JOINING THE SERVER
    INSTALLING THE CUSTOM TEXTURE PACK

IMPORTANT: Installation of the texture files require a little bit of file juggling, but many players find they cannot connect to the server at all unless they have installed the pack correctly. Follow the instructions carefully, and be sure to back up your StarMade installation!

Install MF: Shogunate Season 2 Resource Pack
    Be sure you're merging in the new files into your installation, do not replace the entirety of your data folder.
    Test the texture pack in single player. When you open a shop menu or creative mode, you should see the new colors of hull.

GETTING WHITELISTED
    Mushroom Fleet is a whitelist-only server, and you will need an authenticated StarMade Citizen Registry account uplink to play. Whitelist requests are taken at:
    CONNECTING TO THE SERVER AND GETTING STARTED
    Server connection address is:
    play.mushroomfleet.co.uk:4242

We're in the StarMade launcher's server lists, too.

When you first connect to Mushroom Fleet, be sure you REJECT the server's offer of custom textures (you've already installed them, and the StarMade's texture pack download feature is currently broken!)

RULES
    Be sure to read the rules, there's a lot of good information for new players and details not covered in this overview thread.

SPAWN SHOP
    You'll start with 5 Deltas and a filled blueprint for a Trufflehunter mining ship. Browse the shop and decide if you want to pick anything up before you leave. The Trufflehunter has a rear expansion bay if you want to expand the salvage array or some extra shielding. On one side are the official, verified shops, the other side is unverified. Buyer beware!

MAKING YOUR FIRST DELTAS
    There's also a Shogunate Delta Press at spawn. If you decide to mine in the nearby asteroid fields, you can bring your haul back here to turn it into capsules and Deltas. Once you've saved up 10 Deltas, consider ditching your Trufflehunter buying an upgraded mining ship from one of the shops at spawn.

JOINING YOUR FELLOW LIFEFORMS ON TEAMSPEAK
    Use of Teamspeak is encouraged, but not required. The address and password will be provided to you in the StarMade welcome window when you log into the server.

CREDITS AND THANKS
    • Designing a custom universe is a labor of love, and there are a lot of people to thank for assisting me in putting it together.
    • The Mushroom Fleet Administrators, Barons and players who were there for Shogunate Season 1, for their feedback on just about everything everything about the continuing experiment of a no-credit economy.
    • Zero_sen for the pirate stations, fleet designs and gameplay development.
    • Everyone who contributed builds to the fabric of the universe and spawn location to ensure it had a distinct look and feel from the moment we generated the universe: OmegaCybranX (Hyperspace Bypass Gate), Caumen (Inhibitor Pellet), Zero_sen (two Massteroids), Ender (Welcome Gate) and GalactusX31 (Ashvin Medical)
    • Caumen, Cpt_psy, EmperorVonDoom and spacie for extensive testing, number crunching, arguing over mechanics, rewards and player progression paths and building structures and ships for inclusion in the launch day game. Your feedback and willingness to experience things as new players will was invaluable.
    • Tomino_sama, whose generosity in hosting the server for our players, and entertaining some of the most extreme changes I've pitched about the configuration makes Season 2 possible.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Pretty interesting tbh, the "deltas" sort of remind me of the L1-5 ores of old. You clearly put some time and effort into this. +1

Also, I love that spinning alien statue thingy :p

Last edited:
    Reactions: plusnine

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This...
    This looks really really damn good.
    I like this.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    Pretty interesting tbh, the "deltas" sort of remind me of the L1-5 ores of old. You clearly put some time and effort into this. +1

Also, I love that spinning alien statue thingy :p
    that is a really interesting observation! everything old is new again, i suppose. :)

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Too many words for me to read this early, but I like the look of the pirates. Also, you got a slight typo in the thread title.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This sounds pretty amazing; I'll have to check it out sometime.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    that is a really interesting observation! everything old is new again, i suppose. :)
    Yea, it just reminded me of the "sell L5 ore to shops for credits to buy ships" era (and with the ores being refined by level). Ofc you've got it balanced out WAAAAAY better, especially since there's no mass production loop exploit.

Looks promising, I can't wait to see how well it works out!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    Yea, it just reminded me of the "sell L5 ore to shops for credits to buy ships" era (and with the ores being refined by level). Ofc you've got it balanced out WAAAAAY better, especially since there's no mass production loop exploit.
    Yes - my hope is to make the inevitable hyperinflation (really there are billions of deltas in every system waiting in those pirate stations) into a working feature of sorts:
    • As players go from mining to stepping up to fighting the "Level 1" pirate sets, they'll become wealthy enough to start buying pre-made ships and turrets to throw away on their pirate raids, or friendly PVP matches.
    • Buying premades (or sweet repaints of popular ships) becomes a money sink, kind of like repairing your gear or buying vanity mounts in an MMO. The trashed ships just go into your building stash, which allows you to put together new designs on the server, even without crafting a lick.
    • As players become wealthier, they will be able to afford more than one pre-filled blueprint of their favorite ships to throw away on a friendly battle or pirate hunting raid, all without putting their main fleet (or unfinished constructions) at risk prematurely.
    • Lowering the threshold of potential combat-orbiting butt-hurt-ery is a worthy goal; I believe it will encourage people to want to fight more.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FrankRa and MrFURB

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yes - my hope is to make the inevitable hyperinflation (really there are billions of deltas in every system waiting in those pirate stations) into a working feature of sorts:
    • As players go from mining to stepping up to fighting the "Level 1" pirate sets, they'll become wealthy enough to start buying pre-made ships and turrets to throw away on their pirate raids, or friendly PVP matches.
    • Buying premades (or sweet repaints of popular ships) becomes a money sink, kind of like repairing your gear or buying vanity mounts in an MMO. The trashed ships just go into your building stash, which allows you to put together new designs on the server, even without crafting a lick.
    • As players become wealthier, they will be able to afford more than one pre-filled blueprint of their favorite ships to throw away on a friendly battle or pirate hunting raid, all without putting their main fleet (or unfinished constructions) at risk prematurely.
    • Lowering the threshold of potential combat-orbiting butt-hurt-ery is a worthy goal; I believe it will encourage people to want to fight more.
    Exactly! Combat as a ressource sink. The problem with the vanilla game is that it's too much of a ressource sink, or rather ressources are too tedious to obtain for any serious combat (which is why renewable resources should be a thing). You countered the problem really nicely with the delta economy. With ships being easier to obtain people should be willing to fight more (and lose more), so the economy should balance itself out. It also takes care of the inherent butthurt that comes with losing ships. If it doesn't you can always just tweak the capsule refinery configs and value of deltas.

If it works well make sure to post the results here and tag me so that I can tell the devs about it! I've been pushing for renewables and alteranative ressource sources for a while now, hard data would definitely help :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    This...
    This looks really really damn good.
    I like this.
    hey, thanks man! i love NFD's work, there are some awesome builds on your server. i love and respect the breakdown on your thread of your ruleset, i would love to come see some stuff in person sometime, but i haven't got around to making a proper whitelist application just yet.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    hey, thanks man! i love NFD's work, there are some awesome builds on your server. i love the breakdown on your thread of your ruleset, i would love to come see some stuff in person sometime, but i haven't got around to making a proper whitelist application just yet.
    Not exactly my server nor my faction but thanks :P
    I'm simply one of the head admins, Creeper__God and FlyingDebris are the owners.
    You are always welcome on the server Plusnine, just make a simple app and I'll whitelist you

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    ATTENTION ALL EXPLORERS

The very first Mushroom Fleet EXPLORERS LEAGUE challenge has opened! Details and necessary blueprints are available at the spawn station at the EXPLORERS LEAGUE kiosk:

THE GOAL:

• Be the first explorer to find all 22 types of MFU_Massteroids! They are coded "A" - "T".

HOW TO VERIFY YOUR DISCOVERIES:

• Buy a Lloyd's Beacon from the Explorer's League vendor. ( Delta 10 ). Leave it at your discovery. Be sure your faction & name are on it!
    • Note your discovery's coordinates in a logbook (also available from MF Outfitters or other vendors at spawn)
      Return to spawn with your logs & they'll be verified!
    • See your name on the Explorers League Leaderboard once your discoveries have been verified!
    PRIZES:
    • The first player to complete the challenge wins the grand prize of 25,000 Deltas!
    • The second player to complete the challenge wins 10,000 Deltas
    • Any subsequent players who complete the challenge will earn 5,000 Deltas.

Reactions: MrFURB

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Really, really good looking stuff. I was truly wowed by the post, and as much as I don't like to admit it, especially coming from your group. If this is your modus operandi now, I applaud it.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    Really, really good looking stuff. I was truly wowed by the post, and as much as I don't like to admit it, especially coming from your group. If this is your modus operandi now, I applaud it.

:p

i am doing everything i can.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I'll be 100% serious, I'm honestly considering checking the server out. Words I never expected to say.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    I'll be 100% serious, I'm honestly considering checking the server out. Words I never expected to say.
    i would encourage you to. i hope you will be shocked at the number of people who play here who care nothing for feuds, and who only want to play, build, and have a good time.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    If I asked for a whitelist, would I get it? Serious question.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Then tomino comes in and ruins everybody's ships with that brick on a stick thing :D

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    If I asked for a whitelist, would I get it? Serious question.
    absolutely. if you're really worried about how people may react, i can always whitelist your account under an alias; you do not have to use your starmade citizen registry for anything other than authentication. it would be very easy to fly under the radar.

if in the past you have had your account permabanned, i doubt i can undo that myself, but i can ask if you'd like. we are also enjoying an influx of players who know nothing about anything (as i have done my damnedest to remain), and i would certainly do my best to tamp down on any unnecessary negativity. i would hope we all have better things to do, like solve the spawn shop's curious lack of Hot Pink Standard Armor.

Last edited: