moveable ship core and computers?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello my fellow astronauts!

I think it would be really useful to be able to move your ship core in your ship. And that the same can be done with the weapons computers.

As for things like a ship that has the core deleted being impossible to overheat and such, I'm not speaking of deletion.

As it is, you cannot delete the core unless it's the last block and you cannot place more than one core in a ship, which is good! But what if you were able to select the ships core with a button like 'M' and then select a new spot to place it? That way the core would not get deleted, we can keep the 1 core rule and just have the usefulness of placing the core in a better place if necessary.

As for it being able to be used to better protect the core in battle by changing its location to an undamaged part of the ship. Perhaps make it so that it can only be done while docked or not under fire.

And lastly, I think it would be very useful to be able to do this with the weapons computers too. It would mean the ability to move the computer without having to delete, replace and relink all the modules.

And for those that sometimes make the mistake of having the computer be facing the wrong direction, perhaps make it so that in advanced build mode you can not only move the computer but also change the direction it's facing?

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Sorry if it's been suggested before or if it's already planned!

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    Yeah I agree it'd be pretty useful. When I figured out I could have a cockpit I had to remove and move a lot of things just so I'd still spawn in my ship when I left it. Something like being able to move the core is a great idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Has been brought up before. Just design your ship better. Or use smedit.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The developer has stated that this will be a possibility with an out-of-game mechanic. That being said, you can currently copy and paste the hull onto a new ship and even save the hull just in case as a template. It is technically a solution, even if it take a bit to figure out.

Reaction score
    Just design your ship better. Or use smedit.
    Really bad idea to rely on a 3rd party program (that, from what I've heard, doesn't work the best anyways) for a very important feature like moving an object that is essentially the only thing that needs protecting on your ship.

The idea behind a good game isn't making people do a lot of extra work or LEAVING your game so they can make their ship the way they want.

@OP Has been suggested though, and I recommend you voice your opinion on one of the other threads. Making more threads just spreads out the information for the devs and makes it harder for everyone to see the whole picture.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Really bad idea to rely on a 3rd party program (that, from what I've heard, doesn't work the best anyways) for a very important feature like moving an object that is essentially the only thing that needs protecting on your ship.
    "The developer has stated that this will be a possibility with an out-of-game mechanic."

On top of that, a new health system will be implemented eventually, which will place less of a priority on core-killing. Hopefully it will only act as the starting block of the ship and as an entry point by then.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The Core is the essential Block in every Ship. When you remove it, you will delete the Entety.
    So how do you want to move the Core without deleting the Ship as an Entity??
    I guess its not possible.

NEXT! ^^

Reaction score
    This has been asked for hundreds of times by now

Just plan ahead when building your ship....

Reaction score
    This has been asked for hundreds of times by now

Just plan ahead when building your ship....
    Not everyone builds with a set-in-stone design, some things simply don't translate from mind/paper into game as well as you thought and might need alteration, and some people simply like to build as they go with no plan in mind. When it comes to a game almost exclusively about creativity and openness you shouldn't be punishing people for not sticking to rigid design and planing, it legitimately goes against what the game is about.

@Helzing
    Again, telling someone to shut down your game so you can open up another program to simply move a block on your ship is bad game design. That's like saying in order to pay for something at the store you should leave my store to another store to use their cash register down the block then come back to retrieve your items; you're adding a lot of extra work to a person that wants to use your service with no real reason behind it (unless they intend to do away with the core as stated below, then it would indeed simply be wasted time coding).

As for the HP system, we don't actually know how that's going to affect combat yet (If it was posted exactly how this will implemented then please link me and ignore this part of the post) and if the core will or will not have much to do with ship combat. If the core serves as nothing more than an entry point and starting block I don't see a real need for it in a ship at all as legitimately any other block can serve that purpose, specifically the more useful camera blocks.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Not everyone builds with a set-in-stone design, some things simply don't translate from mind/paper into game as well as you thought and might need alteration, and some people simply like to build as they go with no plan in mind. When it comes to a game almost exclusively about creativity and openness you shouldn't be punishing people for not sticking to rigid design and planing, it legitimately goes against what the game is about.

@Helzing
    Again, telling someone to shut down your game so you can open up another program to simply move a block on your ship is bad game design. That's like saying in order to pay for something at the store you should leave my store to another store to use their cash register down the block then come back to retrieve your items; you're adding a lot of extra work to a person that wants to use your service with no real reason behind it (unless they intend to do away with the core as stated below, then it would indeed simply be wasted time coding).

As for the HP system, we don't actually know how that's going to affect combat yet (If it was posted exactly how this will implemented then please link me and ignore this part of the post) and if the core will or will not have much to do with ship combat. If the core serves as nothing more than an entry point and starting block I don't see a real need for it in a ship at all as legitimately any other block can serve that purpose, specifically the more useful camera blocks.
    The current launcher and pre game setup include tools for extracting and importing sment files into the game among other things. I have never heard anyone complaining about those tools or the fact that they can only be accessed from that pre game menu. This core movement would be an additional feature to that pre game menu, not another separate program such as Smedit. This is because the game currently has trouble moving cores while the ship is rendered in the game. That coding has been there since the beginning and changing it now might mean breaking other things. Schema has told me this directly, although an additional explanation may come down the line or another solution.

I myself am currently in the process of creating dozens of replica ships. The models imported do not have the core in the proper location and once I get the frame of the ship done I have to copy/paste the hull into its new spot. And yet with hundreds of ships to make I am not complaining. Once I figured out the workarounds it was not longer a problem.

There is no additional information as to what the new HP system entails. But it is primarily being implemented so that core killing will no longer be viable at all, otherwise the system would be useless anyways.

Reaction score
    I am in favor of replacing the ship core mechanic with chairs and cockpits. Then the center of mass would be where the great targeting dot lies. Missiles and turrets would shoot at random parts of the ship (unless you have scanners which can scan for life signs and system computers).