Movable Ship Core (OH God Yes, another one of those!)

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Several posts about moving ship cores. Problems are that it's complex and screwy with the game engine. Well, after talking with someone for a bit, I thought of one possible way to do it and would like to know your thoughts.

A new block be created, called "Replacement Core", this will place like any normal block. It'll be textured exactly like the core, but red. It'll have an activation button like other blocks R, and open a screen or something that says "You sure you wish to replace the ship core? All systems will go offline for 120 seconds (configurable) while the new core is booted up, and the old core will be shut down. Your ship will be completely vulnerable during this operation. Proceed? -yes- -no-". No one can use this to cheat their core to safety in the middle of battle. Maybe the old core should also be required to be removed before the ship can be moved? Unsure. It's just another block, should have the same strength as grey hull to prevent someone from making a hull out of offline cores.

I created the new post, because I feel that the idea of mine would get ignored if in one that's already been looked at and the devs have decided to mark as a complete no. On top of that, it's rather different than anyone else's version of just "move the core". it adds a new block to the game and a balancing effect of slowly transfering to the new core while leaving the ship vulnerable to prevent abuse.

http://star-made.org/content/request-be-able-get-cockpit-instead-core-also-being-able-move-core-without-breaking-all
    I also like something from this post, cockpits being able to control the ship as if you had gotten into a core. Then you could fully protect the core all around more easily rather htna leaving at least one side vulnerable. But that idea is not really all that big, since you can always protect the core by protecting the entire corador.

Reaction score
    I like this a lot, simple and effective, solving a frustrating problem some people may run into :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, the game engine doesn\'t really work like that, and indeed it\'s not the first time it\'s said (the 2 blocks idea and swap is also not new, but you couldn\'t know that), so, cool idea.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The game engine may not currently work like that, but it\'s easier than the alternative methods of moving a core around and helps those who have a poor ability to plan while providing the required balance in order to prevent abuse. I believe 2 minutes gives the new core time to calculate every block in a ship and redo all the entity related stuff, almost as if it\'s re-building the ship from a shop schematic with the core at a new location. So it\'s like importing a schematic, the ship core just re-calculates everything as if someone had rapidly built the ship around it or something. 2 minutes is probably enough time for it to re-calc every block in even a masive ship. Could have it take longer for larger ships.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well-written idea, I defenitely agree. The concept in itself might be somewhat bulky code-wise, but I say this is probably the most engine-friendly way to do it. For furher simplifictionm, though, there should be no replacement core, but attempting to place a regular core on a ship should place a rep. core instead.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like your idea and to add to it. If a replacement core or say an inactive ship core (could even use a build block) are on a ship a person could activate as you suggested and make a different core \"primary\" this would change the \"new\" core block into a ship core block and the \"original\" core block could become a replacement core or an inactive ship core (or build block). This feature i think would mainly be used for those who during building would like change the cores location or even to allow ships to have backup cores so that if a ship is left damaged after a battle one could activate a \"backup core\" in a safer area untill the ship can be repaired.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Isn\'t that technically what I said? An inactive core when activated replaces the current core? If the ship is damaged and the pilot is dead, chances are the ship will be salvaged and destroyed before the pilot gets back, if he gets back, the enemy likely left so he can just get in the already damaged core and fix everything or salvage everything.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Also, about forty seconds should be a suitable delay, 120 is a little much.