More station and pirate base variety

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is really more me being confused at what appears to be a missed opportunity that a suggestion. It's a simple idea. After looking at both the pirate base and the trading station polls I am left with a question.

Why are we voting on this at all? Why not just use all the stations/bases in those threads (since they have already been filtered down to the best) and just have the game randomly pick one from the list every time it generates a new station or base. This would in my opinion add tons of variety to stations and pirate bases.

P.S. They may be intending on doing something like this but only with 5 stations, but it is hard to tell because of the way that thread is worded.

P.P.S. If this come across as a rant I apologize. I'm just confused as to if they just didn't think of it, or they are intentionally trying to limit the variety for some reason. If anyone has an idea for why they might want to avoid lots of possible stations I would love to hear it.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Having a voting system ensures that only the best get ingame, the ones the community actually wants too see. Imagine it if they said "alright, we're going to add all stations people submit". there would a few really good ones, surrounded in a cesspit of crappy stations made in a few minutes just to get the glory of it going ingame :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I had assumed that this adding of stations to the game is going to be part of the universe redesign, but since we know absolutely nothing about that it would be hard for anyone to say what's going on I think. I'm sure they have a good reason for doing it like they are though. In a perfect world I would imagine that they could just have a directory with blueprints in it and the game would just use whatever stations are in the folder when it generates the universe. That way you could change what stations the game uses. Stuff like this is hard to talk about though if you don't know the structure of the game code (which I don't).

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Actually the voting coincides perfectly with schema's planned release for the redesign
    therimmer96: Is there any form of ETA for the universe? servers kinda need this info so we can plan for backing up sectors so people dont lose stuff across the required reset :)
    Schema: 2-4 weeks i hope

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Uh, I have no idea if any stations were already removed from the submissions. There really wouldn't be a reason to if we were going to vote anyway.That being said, there are indeed stations that I really don't care about or want to see in my game. There is a level of quality to maintain, and we wouldn't be getting anywhere if we allowed anyone to get their station in the game just because they submitted them. There are trading guild stations that work really well together and others that don't fit in. This is why the contest was made. The community has great builders and we are giving them a chance to actually contribute to the game. That value diminishes if we let others "win" even if they put in less effort.

Also this is not the last contest, we will be seeing more I suspect once this is all cleared up and the universe design is implemented.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what do you think of my pirate base Vanhelzing it is the first station I completed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The default stations should all go into folders for the station type. If you want different default stations, you could just remove and add some yourself.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    what do you think of my pirate base Vanhelzing it is the first station I completed
    Well I will be doing reviews of all the stations. I have only recorded three so far. I havent gotten to yours yet. It will get its own video so if you're subscribed to me you will end up seeing it.

The default stations should all go into folders for the station type. If you want different default stations, you could just remove and add some yourself.
    You can already do that actually. I do not know if there is a specific path that needs to be typed in to load them in manually but there is a folder setup you can do yourself to allow custom stations to be added to the 3 factions. Do a search and you will get some results.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yeah I am fairly certain if the ones you don't like win the polls you can go ahead and switch out / add to the spawn list