Mix & Match support computers

Reaction score
    Let us choose between an effect (as current) or another weapon CPU as the tertiary slot support, in lieu of an effect.
    You could thus have Cannon/Cannon/Cannon, or Beam/Missile/Cannon etc.

Some might have additional downsides to balance them out - for example tertiary Cannon could add a small amount of inaccuracy to balance out it's heavy fire rate.

This allows for many more combinations of weapons and more interesting combat.

Last edited:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you took it one step further how about as many links as you want all adding up to 100 percent... so Cannon 40% / Beam 30% / Pulse 10% / Explosive 10% / Pull 10%.... But even I think that's too crazy :)

I like OP idea though :)

Reaction score
    can you suggest what each new combo will do?
    There'd now be 64 new possible weapons for 84 total combos so...

Most of these would be obvious - i.e dual pulse supports would mean heavy reload time, heavy power usage and heavy damage.
    Some might need different effects to keep them from being overpowered or just for variety. Not all of them would be spectacular or even useful, and some will do similar or identical things (those could be perhaps 'blocked' by game code maybe). The Missile ones are probably the most interesting.

I was a bit lazy here, so some are identical, but here's what I'd imagine most of them doing (please suggest things that are better than my cruddy ideas):

Beam/Beam/Beam - Super-duper-long-range beam that can hit more-or-less anything, but has a noticeably slower fire rate.
    Beam/Beam/Cannon - Long-range, rapid-fire beam.
    Beam/Beam/Missile - Fires a shotgun-split beam in a tight cone.
    Beam/Beam/Pulse - Long range, hard hitting beam with a long reload.

Beam/Cannon/Beam - Long-range, rapid-fire beam.
    Beam/Cannon/Cannon - High tickrate and nearly no reload, but does very little damage per tick.
    Beam/Cannon/Missile - Rapid-fire shotgun beams.
    Beam/Cannon/Pulse - Heavy damage, heavy power usage, but less reload than just Beam/Pulse

Beam/Missile/Beam - Fires a shotgun-split beam in a tight cone.
    Beam/Missile/Cannon - Rapid-fire shotgun beams.
    Beam/Missile/Missile - Twice as many shotgun-beams.
    Beam/Missile/Pulse - Hard-hitting shotgun beams.

Beam/Pulse/Beam - Long range, hard hitting beam with a long reload.
    Beam/Pulse/Cannon - Heavy damage, heavy power usage, but less reload than just Beam/Pulse
    Beam/Pulse/Missile - Hard-hitting shotgun beams.
    Beam/Pulse/Pulse - Super-heavy beam with a long-ass reload.

-----

Cannon/Beam/Beam - Increases the range and speed of your cannon's boolet.
    Cannon/Beam/Cannon - Increases both the range and firing rate of your weapon (though still slower than just cannon/cannon since beam slows it slightly), at the cost of damage per shot.
    Cannon/Beam/Missile - Fires a burst of long-range 'pellets' in a tight cone, but increases reload time slightly
    Cannon/Beam/Pulse - Fires a long-range, hard hitting bullet with high power requirements and a very long reload time

Cannon/Cannon/Beam - Long-range, rapid fire (slightly slower than plain cannon/cannon)
    Cannon/Cannon/Cannon - MOAR DAKKA. Double the fire rate buff of cannon/cannon, but also double the damage nerf. Possibly also a small amount of inaccuracy too. Would be popular for PD/AM turrets.
    Cannon/Cannon/Missile - Rapidly fires a number of 'pellets' in a tight cone.
    Cannon/Cannon/Pulse - high damage, with a lower reload penalty than cannon/pulse, but still very power ineffeicent

Cannon/Missile/Beam - Fires a burst of long-range 'pellets' in a tight cone, but increases reload time slightly
    Cannon/Missile/Cannon - Rapid fire shotgun.
    Cannon/Missile/Missile - Double the shotgun pellets.
    Cannon/Missile/Pulse - Shotgun, with slow reload and hard hitting pellets that use a lot of power.

Cannon/Pulse/Beam - long-range, hard hitting bullet with high power requirements and a very long reload time
    Cannon/Pulse/Cannon - Hard hitting, high power usage with a lower reload penalty than cannon/pulse
    Cannon/Pulse/Missile - Shotgun, with slow reload and hard hitting pellets that use a lot of power.
    Cannon/Pulse/Pulse - Super hard-hitting, super-long reload and super-heavy power usage.

----

Missile/Beam/Beam - Very long range, quick moving lock-on missile.
    Missile/Beam/Cannon - Lock-ons with much quicker reload and lock-on time, but reduced damage.
    Missile/Beam/Missile - Fires a shotgun of lock-on missiles - making it more likely at least one of the missiles will get through PD systems
    Missile/Beam/Pulse - Hard-hitting lock-on missile that uses a lot of power, but has half the speed penalty of normal Pulse missiles

Missile/Cannon/Beam - Quick-moving, fast-firing dumbfire missiles.
    Missile/Cannon/Cannon - Tiny missile machine gun.
    Missile/Cannon/Missile - Rapid-fire dumbfire shotgun missiles.
    Missile/Cannon/Pulse - Fires hard-hitting dumbfire missiles faster than plain Missile/Pulse but slower than standard Missile/nothing

Missile/Missile/Beam - Quick-moving, long-range heatseekers, but slower reload and more power usage.
    Missile/Missile/Cannon - Fires fewer and weaker seekers per-shot, but can fire them rapidly.
    Missile/Missile/Missile - Heatseeker flood - fires dozens of seekers with small blast radii
    Missile/Missile/Pulse - Hard-hitting seekers, with a slow reload and high power usage.

Missile/Pulse/Beam - Hard-hitting lock-on missile that uses a lot of power, but has half the speed penalty of normal Pulse missiles
    Missile/Pulse/Cannon - Slow moving, hard-hitting missiles that suck a ton of power, but don't have as much of a reload penalty as pure Missile/Pulse
    Missile/Pulse/Missile - Fires a shotgun of slow-moving, hard-hitting lock-on missiles
    Missile/Pulse/Pulse - Fires a slow-moving, very high-damage, high-power usage missile.

----

Pulse/Beam/Beam - Very long range pulse, but slower reload.
    Pulse/Beam/Cannon - Long range, quick firing pulse.
    Pulse/Beam/Missile - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Beam/Pulse - Hard-hitting, long-range pulses. Slow reload.

Pulse/Cannon/Beam - Long range, quick firing pulse.
    Pulse/Cannon/Cannon - Super-rapid, but weak, pulses.
    Pulse/Cannon/Missile - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Cannon/Pulse - Hard-hitting pulses that use a lot of power, but faster reload than Pulse/Pulse alone.

Pulse/Missile/Beam - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Missile/Cannon - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Missile/Missile - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Missile/Pulse - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)

Pulse/Pulse/Beam - Hard-hitting, long-range pulses. Slow reload.
    Pulse/Pulse/Cannon - Hard-hitting pulses that use a lot of power, but faster reload than Pulse/Pulse alone.
    Pulse/Pulse/Missile - (I forgot what Pulse/Missile does)
    Pulse/Pulse/Pulse - Super-heavy pulse with a very long reload and high power requirements.

Reactions: starhaiden