Planned Mining Turrets

Reaction score
    Larger ships don't automine well, I don't trust medium ships in a fleet during travel or panic escapes, and unleashing the full contents of mining carrier's swarm puts too much pressure on a server. Letting turrets mine could alleviate some of the issues on the higher end and could stop ships from dancing around not doing anything.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    mining turrets are planned just no details on when or how just yet

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You really should use the search function before you make a suggestion, just in the future. This is a very common suggestion.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You really should use the search function before you make a suggestion, just in the future. This is a very common suggestion.
    True, but there is some benefit from repeated suggestions like this.

Helps keep it out in the forefront that "This is a very popular request, and it is a request that is keeping a steady amount of demand." And hence something that should be given perhaps even greater weight than a single request with a lot of likes, as those could represent more of a flash in the pan fad than a longstanding gain for the game.

Reaction score
    I did, they aren't. The only other suggestion to show up in any of the searches had them limited to stations.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    mining turrets are planned just no details on when or how just yet
    The system for an AI to target asteroids and use salvagers is already in place, otherwise fleets wouldn't be able to mine. Couldn't be that hard to implement it on turrets...

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The system for an AI to target asteroids and use salvagers is already in place, otherwise fleets wouldn't be able to mine. Couldn't be that hard to implement it on turrets...
    indeed. hopefully schema adds them soon.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    True, but there is some benefit from repeated suggestions like this.

Helps keep it out in the forefront that "This is a very popular request, and it is a request that is keeping a steady amount of demand." And hence something that should be given perhaps even greater weight than a single request with a lot of likes, as those could represent more of a flash in the pan fad than a longstanding gain for the game.
    Also, one persons idea of a feature may differ substantially from another's. When you tag along someone else's suggestion, you often find yourself recoiling in horror as the person starts adding all kinds of nonsense riders to the suggestion.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, one persons idea of a feature may differ substantially from another's. When you tag along someone else's suggestion, you often find yourself recoiling in horror as the person starts adding all kinds of nonsense riders to the suggestion.
    True dat. Ideas tend to get out of control.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I remember trying to make a manual mining turret, though.
    Just posted here just in case.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There might even be a way to kinda make a mining turret. Set it to aim at your target, give it a 1/1/1 block beam/cannon/stop weapon, put a logic controlled waffle salvage array on it, and tie the logic clock to a wireless module and inner ship remote. Target an asteroid, turn the salvage array on, and see what happens. With a little effort, you can even transfer stuff through the docking chain to the mothership. When the salvage beam hits the block the stop beam was aiming at, it will automatically aim at another block, so eventually the asteroid will be scooped up.

That is, in theory.

Reactions: Captain Tankman
    Reaction score
    No need to waffle---logic weapons can have many computers, so there's no need for waffling or the escalating power costs of a multi-output system.

Reaction score
    That is, in theory.
    It aims center mass(or atleast did when I tried). With old sizes that would work in the extreme, but now the size of the ship needed to mount something that wide could just eat a system anyway.

Even then all that would be good for is letting a mothership mine semiautomatically.

Reaction score
    The only user input then required would be repositioning the ship if and when the mining laser stopped hitting the target. Accompanied by a fleet of drones, the asteroid's CoM should change enough that you don't end up shooting the middle of a donut or anything extreme like that.

Reaction score
    I hadn't used a mining turret since the cargo update so I put one together. I learned that you can't cargo transfer down a turret dock, so even with a clever transfer system you need internal storage. That may be one of the reasons for us not having them already.