Medibays the Starmade Way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My suggestion is for medical areas or medibays. I know we are getting some way to heal players but this is my take on how it could be implemented.

To build a medibay, you would have to use medibay system blocks. You would place them into the shape of a three dimensional cube (or rectangle). They would generate HP every second based off of their total cubic area(every so many blocks or cubic meters of "air"). With a minimum of 1 hp per second being generated. Every block placed inside the cubic area would reduce the total HP recovery(as it reduces the total free Cubic meters or "air" within the space). The medibay would require power every second in order to heal players within its boundaries. The total HP recovery it provides would be decided between players(with a minmum of 1 HP for each player each second). SO for example if a medibay heals 10 HP per second and 2 players that need healing are within its boundaries, each player would receive 5 HP every second until they were healed. If playerA healed before playerB then playerB would receive the full amount of healing every second after playerA was healed to 100%.

Benifites:
    -Players would have a reason to have an "openish" room that is dedicated to healing their HP.
    -Encourages crew-ability of ships.
    -The medibay will take up space used for other systems and cause more creative building.
    -RP would benefit from this addition.
    -If/When we get the ability to board ships, these types of rooms may be critical to defending against invaders.
    -The construction method feels (at least to me) similar to the way other systems are built in starmade.

*The amount of HP they regenerate per cubic meter is up for debate.
    **Possible cap or soft cap on the max size and/or regeneration of medibays might be needed
    ***These rooms should be available on ships and stations. No reason to exclude them on anything really.

Hope I explained my idea clearly (am tired atm). Let me know what you guys think.

Reactions: Snk

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    we already have a way to heal ourselves. Pressing [R] on Medical cabinets will heal a set amount of HP and have a cooldown time till you can use it again. you can also heal another player by hitting him with the repair gun.

though I do like your idea. expanding the healing mechanic into a ship system would help create functional medic evacs and hospital ships.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424506276,1424506120][/DOUBLEPOST]though in terms of implementation i believe that its too soon. it would best be coupled with the ground combat/astronaut revamp thats been planned forever

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    In order for this to work there would need to be some other changes to gameplay overall.

Players would need consequences for dying. Right now it isn't a big deal if we loose some of our credits. Dropping all loot and whatnot might be a big issue. Suicide should only be usable out of combat.

Killing a ship needs to mortally wound a player, not kill them. Most kills in starmade are the result of ships fighting each other. If I die before I ever need to use the medbay it's useless. You should only be mortally wounded if you were at full health. Being unhealthy and getting overheated should result in a death. This way people that are getting camped have a chance to respawn instead of getting ejected constantly if they try entering a core again.

This could totally apply to crew members as well.

I think this could expand to other mechanics as well. Alien diseases could force us to research and treat them for a period of time in the medbay. Otherwise we get debilitating debufs.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    yeah a setting the block in a way they form a room area-heal is a nice idea

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is an interesting idea, but it's possible to do something similar already with medical supplies/cabinet blocks and a "bed." Place supplies in reach of the bed and "lay down" with sideways gravity, then activate the medical cabinets/supplies. Admittedly, this is not automatic, but serves similar design/RP function.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would think it would be easy to programmatically create an automatic, invisible "healing" beam between two healing-cabinet and/or medical-supply blocks. The beam would only be there if there was only space between the two healing blocks. That way, if those blocks comprise the walls of a med-bay, you have yourself an automatic healing field. It's basically an always-on repair beam for astronauts.

Example:
    Let's say you have a med bay of a size 6x3x6, with the side walls on either side of the X axis (6x3 walls) built solely out of healing blocks. There is a 2x1 bed in one corner, which interrupts two of the 18 "beams" running across the room, so now you have a medical room filled with 16 horizontal healing beams. Almost anywhere you stand in the room, you are getting two healing points per second. (because the beams are hitting you in both the upper and lower part of your astronaut.) If you are standing next to the bed, you are only getting one healing point per second, because there is no healing beam going through the bed, so you only get the upper beam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    OK... how did I miss that we had medical cabinets? I honestly didn't realize we had them in game ! I did know about using the healing beam on other players though.

I hadn't considered the fact that medibays would not be needed until we had ground combat/boarding and other damaging effects to astronauts. Was mainly just thinking about how a star trek sick bay might be viable in starmade.

Glad you guys noticed the things I didn't !