Map with coordinates

Reaction score
    This is a good idea, there should be multiple maps ala Skyrim, with a large universal map with a smaller local map maybe 4 or 5 sectors and a local map of the sector you're in.

Reactions: rece ktore leczo
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I agree the map system has long needed a revamp to make it more usable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, i hope it's not too long before this gets at least a tiny update. - Just a 3d arrow on the map representing which direction you're facing would be enough to take it from useless to useful.

Reaction score
    Yes. I was thinking in change the ship icon for an arrow and in display the coordinates as you move through the sectors with the arrow keys.
    And of course in the nav menu we need a history label

Reaction score
    I'm not sure if i'm the only one but i find it very easy to get lost in space. And on the navigation menu you cant even tell a pirate space station from a normal one. While there is alot Schema needs to work on with StarMade a nice syfy map couldn't be that hard to implement and would dramatically improve the game play. Even as said above a 3D ship icon to show what direction your going would help alot.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Schema is probably simply waiting until the Universe redesign is in good shape before he spends time on a new map system.

Reaction score
    When they do though there is a fair amount of things they could add to the map to make it very useful. Setting waypoints from the map, naming places and planets, shows where other ppl in your faction are and what you and they see, ie pirates.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    There was a video from mushroomfleet in ehich a new map got mentioned. Fingers crossed everyone...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hope it's released soon. The current map is miserable. The general idea is good, but the information that you can get out of it is next to null.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Possibly the best solution for a sector map would be a 2D map like this:

Default option uses the xz coordinates, giving the universe a prefered top/bottom.
    +—————————————+
    | O . . . . . |
    | . . . . # . |
    | . O . . . . |
    | . . . . . . |
    +—————————————+
    O : shows 1 object.

# : indicates multiple objects thouching each other at close xz distance.
    '#' is displayed as a number or an outlined shape containing symbols of these objects aligned to a grid.

The box around X and O has a verticale line left or right side and one line horizontal&ortogonal facing away from their center.
    +—————————————+
    | . . . . . . |
    | .|- . /#\|+ |
    | O|. . \_/|. |
    | . . . . .|- |
    +—————————————+
    | : verticale line's end indicating DEPTH-position range(0..(scaled)object.position);
    ((default-DEPTH = Y in top-down view.
    offseted at a position left of the box containing the icon|shape|image
    scaled == (object.Y – plane.Y) * (map.scaleX == map.sizeX / plane.sizeX)

))

- : especially usefull on a short verticale line or multiple objects to see each's Y-position relative to another.

+ : the '+' indicates that the zoom level is not sufficient to distinguish Y-positions visually

The user can toggle between:
    1. Top-Down view (from +y)
    2. View from +x
    3. View from +z
    4. Snapped : View from his position using z for DEPTH, xy for xy on the map (snap to nearest 90° step).
    5. Free-View : Like Snapped, but using (Advanced) mapObject.position = (object.position - player.positition) * playerRotation *scale.

EDIT: The player ship can be shown either as an arrow|Ω|A somewhere on the map (sector|system|galaxy top-down view) or in the center if the map is focused around the player.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What map is everyone talking about? I see the keyboard item "p" which supposedly ceates a map, but all it does is clear the GUI.

What have I been missing?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What map is everyone talking about? I see the keyboard item "p" which supposedly ceates a map, but all it does is clear the GUI.

What have I been missing?
    If you press "shift" after pressing p, a 3d map appears. You can rotate it by dragging right click and move the cursor with wsad. It doesn't show any coordinates OR your ship's heading though, making it next to impossible to use for navigation. The fact that you and so many others couldn't even get the map to display properly just goes to show how bad the current one is.