Planned making advanced build mode toggle option

Do we need a toggle for advanced Build mode ?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i dont know if this has been suggested yet, but i would love to see advanced build mode as a toggle not a must hold the button down constantly, i am getting some seriously carpel tunnel from having to hold down the ctrl button. :schema:

Reactions: Tadsf321

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    A good, simple suggestion.

Even better...selectable toggle/no toggle.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A good, simple suggestion.

Even better...selectable toggle/no toggle.
    Thanks, i thought it was pretty straight forward when i typed it out, mainly to save my poor hand when i was building my latest project.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i want that too
    I think its kinda needed you can get carpel tunnel syndrome from using your hands to much and that "Holding Control Down" is a really good way to get it, i really hope schine put something in there EULA or terms of service about injury from playing the game. *Hint* *Hint* Bench, schema

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Had Carpal release surgery on my right wrist. Suffering symptoms in my left wrist (numbness, tingling, pain, weakness). Recovering from trigger-finger repetitive use injury. I use tools doing my day-job but my injuries are from all sources of repetitive-strain including playing games.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Had Carpal release surgery on my right wrist. Suffering symptoms in my left wrist (numbness, tingling, pain, weakness). Recovering from trigger-finger repetitive use injury. I use tools doing my day-job but my injuries are from all sources of repetitive-strain including playing games.
    my mother had to have both her wrist done and her elbow for carpal tunnel, so i know how much of a pain it can be having it and how much of a pain it is to recover from it.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I started developing carpal tunnel symptoms in the 90's. To this day I attribute both a Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard and Kingston Expert Mouse Trackball as the only things which keep me pain-free. Yea, that's almost 20 years using the same keyboard and mouse designs, for those of you doing the math! To this day using a traditional full-sized keyboard and/or a traditional mouse or laptop trackpad leads to severe wrist/forearm pain within an hour, upon switching back to that M$ keyboard and that specific type of Kingston trackball and I'm a happy man again.

I'll even admit to having four of those M$ keyboards sitting in storage, as I've had the electronics die in my current keyboard once already, and these keyboards are increasingly difficult to find.

Also switched to Kingston's newer wireless (BTLE) version of the trackball, and it works great; rechargeable battery lasts about three weeks between charges, and there's no noticeable lag.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Good to know. I have never tried a track-ball but I am ready to try anything to reduce the repetitive strain. I did use a microsoft ergonomic 'wave' keyboard that seemed to help. Problem is it is too big for my current table setup.
    Most people don't realize that no matter how "lightly" you try to use a mouse, you're still squeezing it, and therefore straining related muscles. While being a NetWare-->SCO/SunOS/BSD/Linux engineer (that also designed, built, and solo-managed a ~300 node international Win32 desktop environment w/ CLI tools, for years) means I am very CLI-biased (e.g. greatly favor keyboard before mouse), I'll still give that trackball major kudos for saving me from decades of pain.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have really been enjoying my vertical mouse. It's basically a mouse up on its side, so that your arm remains in a natural resting position, instead of being severely twisted, while using the mouse for hours. I wish there were vertical-mouse conversion kits that would allow you to drop a conventional mouse in to turn it into a vertical mouse. I would love to get a much better gaming mouse to use as a vertical mouse.

Check out this mind-bender of a mouse:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like to thank everyone that has viewed, supported and voted on this subject to have to have recognized by the council is great and i hope it will be added in to the game soon. so Thanks Everyone! :D

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hai,
    Congrats! This suggestion has been recognised by the council and the devs, it has been added to the phabricator workflow. You can check out all the accepted suggestions that have been added to the planned list over here Group Council · Workboard
    (you have to scroll all the way to the right to see them)

I hope many more fine suggestions will come from you.

For reference:
    ⚓ T1699 Advanced Build Mode Toggle

Feel free to signup and subscribe to the task to get e-mail notifications once it hits release/dev-builds.

- Andy