Make turrets easier to place

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    So yesterday I finally got to the point where I was ready to install two dozen point defense turrets on my new ship. I had designed a nice, clean, easy to afford PD turret and had the materials in inventory to build all twenty four. So I bought 24 blueprints. I right clicked on one, then clicked on the button to fill it up, then clicked on spawn. Then I looked around for my turret.

I spawned a ship core to make it easier to hunt down my turret. I got in my ship core and spent about a minute looking for it. Finally I found it, got out of my ship core, deleted the ship core, spacewalked to the turret, got inside the turret, went to build mode, added a thruster, flew the turret to the turret dock, docked, went into build mode to remove the thruster, then exited the turret.

I was SO not looking forward to doing this another twenty three times.

What could be the issue with allowing us to select the blueprint on our hotbar and say, right clicking on the turret dock, then having the turret simply automatically take all the materials from our inventory, and instantly assemble itself already docked to the docking block? If by chance we are missing one or more components for the turret, it simply adds what it can and stops the process there, no turret and the blueprint partially filled still on our hotbar.

I dread getting into a fight and being forced to repeat this tedium so as to replace shot off turrets.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Aye... I admit it is tedious. Righting clicking on a dock sounds like an idea, but we are getting away from that with the shipyards I think. Maybe add that as a function while ships are docked to a shipyard only?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In earlier versions (~0.15), I was able to spawn the bought ships and turrets close, by ensuring that I was at least some distance from the nearest entity. If I was too close (say, within 20 blocks?), the newly-spawned vessel ended up hundreds of blocks away. When I was a sufficient distance away from the station and other ships, the spawned vessel would spawn only a couple dozen blocks in front of me towards galactic "North".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you spawn them from inside the core they're a lot closer to the ship. Tab+f8 also help if you have admin.

However, this is still a very good feature, and should be implemented.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It would be nice to spawn turrets already docked but in the mean time here's some tips:

Also when shipyards are implemented we should be able to repair a ship to a blueprint including all docked turrets so when that's in the game you should never have to manually replace turrets again unless you are refitting the ship with new ones.