Make Astrotech relevant again (Change it into an effect system)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Astrotech beams need some love now that shipyards have nearly made them obsolete. Make it an effect system. I'll let your imagination come up with all the "offensive" weapon combos. I'm thinking healing nuke ;)

The defensive effect is what I'm most interested in. I want it to only repair damaged but, not missing, hull and armor. This is how i think it should be balanced: You select the hull and/or armor you want it to repair. A 1:1 ratio of astrotech modules to armor for the full healing effect might be a good compromise. If no armor is selected it will attempt to repair all hull and armor on the ship, even the advanced armor toilets, so it would be prudent to select the plating covering your vital systems to maximize the effect. I also think it should be a bit different than other effect blocks in that it uses energy and can be controlled with logic.

Reaction score
    People, public service announcement USE THE SEARCH BAR BEFORE POSTING SUGGESTIONS!

http://starmadedock.net/threads/give-astrotech-beams-piercing.21294/

This topic right here is discussing ways to make them relevant with actual ideas already friend.
    but his idea has absolutely nothing to do with piercing astrobeams nd while i have read that thread and it may have turned into more than a astro beams should pierce blocks thread there would be no way to know that from looking at the title, maybe you should instead be telling people who want to make brainstorming threads to use titles that describe the topic at hand, such as make astrobeams relevant again which is ambiguous enough to promote discussion while still focusing on the topic of astrotech beams.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    but his idea has absolutely nothing to do with piercing astrobeams nd while i have read that thread and it may have turned into more than a astro beams should pierce blocks thread there would be no way to know that from looking at the title, maybe you should instead be telling people who want to make brainstorming threads to use titles that describe the topic at hand, such as make astrobeams relevant again which is ambiguous enough to promote discussion while still focusing on the topic of astrotech beams.
    true

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A ship would need to be linked to a design for this to work, leading to essentially having two versions of a ship in memory, the completed (blueprint/design) ship and the "real" ship. IDK how well this would work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The astrotech modules will be placed on the ship like any other effect module and provide a passive healing factor to hull or armor that is damaged but not destroyed.

If you link a section of armor to a group of astrotech modules, only that armor section will recieve the benefit.

It will not have the ability to replace missing hull or armor.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The astrotech modules will be placed on the ship like any other effect module and provide a passive healing factor to hull or armor that is damaged but not destroyed.

If you link a section of armor to a group of astrotech modules, only that armor section will recieve the benefit.

It will not have the ability to replace missing hull or armor.
    ...Oh. That makes more sense, but then they will probably not be used much. Despite the HP update making armor meaningful, in practice individual blocks tend to die a lot still, even if they DO soak up more damage...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I see your point. We don't see any use out of them now because aiming the beam at a damaged block is a pain in ass. With them as an effect system that same block will be healed without player input. Granted, there won't be a lot of healing going on which is good because if it did too good of a job no one would need a shipyard for repairs. We could however give hull and armor that is linked by the player to the astrotech modules some sort of buff. What that would be, I don't know.

My hope was to make the astrotech into something people could build a support ship out of. Firing off healing pulses that friendly fighters fly into when damaged or letting loose swarming love missiles on a buddy in need. It may not turn the tide in a fight but it couldn't hurt.