Longer chunk loading after new update

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Am I the only person who noticed that new chunk update actually made chunk loading way slower? It takes me few minutes to enter server now (chunk around spawn position are being loaded).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Was this a new world or one you already had? If it's one you already had the lag is due to the world being updated from chunk16 to chunk32. Or I may be completely off base but that's just one idea/explanation.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Is your view distance increased? Can you see more asteroids than you could before? Because I can in my world, but my computer seems okay with the extra view distance, so I'm keeping it.

Reaction score
    I have maxed out G_MAX_SEGEMENTSDRAWN to where it is just able to keep up; after the Chunk32 update, SM has to render up to about eight times the number of blocks. This may not be noticeable in a mostly empty sector with just one ship, but it can make a huge difference if there is a lot to render, like in an asteroid belt, or on a planet.

After reducing G_MAX_SEGEMENTSDRAWN to about a third of where I had it before the update (didn't need to go all the way down to an eighth), everything is running smooth again.
    Experiment with that, set it low and work your way up until it starts to break down (give the game a bit of time to catch up between changes), then revert back to the last usable value.