List your top 3 game breaking bugs or flaws

Reaction score
    If I was a developer, and I was told to pick 3 game breaking bugs to fix based on my gameplay experience, these would be them:

1. Not spawning where you logged out. If I log out in my ship's core, or my planet's build block, i should spawn either in the block still, or standing/floating right next to it. As it stands now, I will spawn outside of my ship, or under/inside my planet. This is very frustrating for players and provides an unpredictable experience.

2. Sector transition issues. If i'm currently flying towards a planet, I should not have to stop and re-orient myself every time i enter a new sector or transition in/out of a star system. This makes exploring planets very frustrating and leads to me not wanting to even bother with planets, dispite the cool new additions they have gotten in recent updates.

3. Infinite money exploits with Level 5 minerals and shops. If you chose to buy enough items where the price excedes the max size of a signed integer, then the game will allow you to buy the resource for a negative amount. This opens up an exploit where players not only get a ton of level 5 minerals, but they get a little over 2.1 billion credits.

I have so many more frustrating bugs, but in order to keep this thread both productive and concice i'm just limiting this to my top 3 (in order).

Please list your top 3 game breaking bugs, hopefully this thread can stick around on the front page long enough to get noticed, and we start seeing some of the issues that affect us in our day-to-day gameplay get resolved.

Please read through the whole thread and avoid duplicating bugs that others have already posted (in this thread).

To schema: Please set up a public bug tracker, and allow the community to file bug reports through that (GitHub would be a great tool for this, and you don't even have to publish code there!)

Reaction score
    I may sound harsh, but i really hope these will be addressed in the future :)

1. Projectiles do not start with the shooter\'s velocity. This messes up the whole space combat, you can\'t hit targets as well as you should. Missiles become almost useless for their already slow speed anyway. What is there to play if you can\'t even fight properly? Real fights will be done at speeds of 100, shooting not only direction you are facing, but also sideways etc. Projectiles should always move straight from turret, not lagging behind when sideways.

2. Server, (perhaps client too) performance is very low. It is reporting a ton of stuff in the console, and writes all that also in log files. Mind you my server log folder is already over 100Mb in size. You do not want to do that much disk writing realtime. I\'m not sure what all causes the massive CPU use, but it sure is doing massive amounts of something even when there\'s only 1 player, and he is standing still.
    edit: It seems that it was client mainly that uses the CPU, especially on planets.

3. Same as your 2. above, sector transition issues. I disabled stellar objects rotation from server.cfg so it\'s no longer such big game breaker for me, but without doing that, it was almost impossible even trying to go near planets. They would disappear and move somewhere else, and even change color so you can\'t know where you were heading.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just updated to 0.09381, and I only have one bug - I can\'t even play. I hit OK in the launcher thing and I get \"NullPointerException: Null\".

Reaction score
    Definitely sector warping is a major bug for me, throws off combat and exploration, especially when it resets my lockon timer on missile

Missiles being derps and flying in circles after their target dies is distracting and looks really bad

The biggest one is the shielding glitch where enemies hit through your shields for some reason. It often means I have to get a new ship after a battle which I should have won by a landslide because they never should have been able to pierce the shields.

Reaction score
    1. Memory leak in the Catalog. If you have a lot of BP\'s simply having the Admin/Available catalog window open consumes more and more ram (not shown in the in game stats). Eventually this will crash your client.

2. ONE client with a bad connection causes the whole server to hang up and spam the \'waiting on ping\' message. No client should ever be able to hang up the server responding to other clients, and the server should NEVER wait for a ping. Each client should be handled in it\'s own thread and not be blocked by any other.

3. \'/populate_sector\' is unuseable as it spawns a new shop on top of the existing one and you end up with hundreds of shops killing performance and making the task of logging in painfully slow and laggy.

4. Part of 3 is you can not delete shop entities to remedy the above problem.

5. Physics calculations can kill a client and the server when a large object collides with something.

6. Logging out and logging back in places you 4 blocks to the left and 4 down of where you logged out.

Reaction score
    -when another players ping goes up, everybodies ping goes up. this should not happen as it creates major issues for the server and its clients. This persists in singleplayer where even on localhost the client can experience 5-30 ping when it in all cases should be 0.

-shooting a space station with shields or an oversized ship causes massive FPS drop until the effect goes away

-Planets are very stressful on a weak PC and are impossible to land on withouth the clients FPS going from where it would otherwise be in the 40\'s to 100\'s to 5 and 1 FPS

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1. Unable to map numpad keys w/o crashing in ship build mode.

Sadly or for good i only have one bug to report, because i cant play w/o the numpad keys, so i stopped right there and hope it get fixed.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1- Cannons and missiles with modifyed specifications (the % thingies that i use evrywhere because my cannons shot too fast) can randomly reset when logging out and coming back (One of the different cannons on the computer (if there are more of one, for more sets of weapons, each can bug some of it\'s weapons) most of the time, but can be all of them). And, while it\'s already annoying to have to reconfigure them evry time, reconfiguring may not work : The % change, but the weapon data next to it don\'t, so you have to log out and in again to fix it (Happily bugging more weapons). Also, modyfying a weapon (by adding or removing blocks) will reset it\'s specifications, wich is also quite annoying, but can be useful as it will debug one wich got the previous bug (specifications stuck).

2- The overbuggy glass : looking trough glass renders the starry background trough anything, and makes missiles and explosions (and possibly more) invisible. While it\'s fully a graphic bug, the stars part isn\'t a gameplay issue (it just looks weird and awful), the missiles part is a big problem as you will need glass to protect a cockpit or just to make basic windows, and not seeing the missiles you shoot, and the missiles wich comes on you is a real problem when fighting.

3- The login and core exiting spawn being not based on where you were relative to the core for entering one, and being based on the sector grid with weird and random spawn stuck protection instead of the object you were near/in (If you\'re in a core, you will respawn either outside the ship for a small one/ one with no interior, of at another room/floor for a big one with interior, and when logging in, you\'re always outside the object you were in, wichever is the room you were in and it\'s size).

Also, i\'ve incredibly big difficulties to get my SDBB missiles to lock on a target, even if i keep the cross on it. They just lock or don\'t randomly (but most of time they don\'t). I may however be doing it wrong.

Outside this, random sector warping and awful transitions, the projectiles speed being not based on your speed (wich is quite slow and not based on the ship thurst/mass ratio, only acceleration do) causing them to glitch or fall back on you, the crappy and over exploitable economy system, the lag, or just start errors, are all awful and crappy bugs wich end making the game unplayable, but i encounter them far less often because i spend most of my time building ships in cheat mode (and saying how awesome they are to myself), so all bugs wich come from fighting, moving, and crafting/economy are quite uncommon on my side.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A problem schema NEEDS to fix. Salvage cannons are near pointless when digging by hand is often quicker. A mining drill, perhaps. These could be made using refined ores, different ores, different effects e.g Insanium L5 Drill Would drill very fast. Awesomanium (or whatever it is) L5 Could double what you dig, or a by-product that could be made into other stuff. Just an idea.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Place 30 or 40 salvage cannons in a row (1x1x40). Now repeat that and build it into a checkerboard pattern so that from the front of your ship you see salvage cannons checkerboarded as one color and something else as the other color, e.g. shields or astrotechbeams. Build it big enough and you can ridiculousridiculouridiculoridiculridicuridicridiridrir aa harvestharvestharvesharveharvharha

Thanks, forum software, and/or android, for going completely FUBAR there and also for not letting me select any text (in this edit box).

Reaction score
    You are kinda wrong at 3 and 4, because you can simply select a shop use /destroy_entity to delete it, always worked for me.