Launcher Memory Metre

• Thread starter Deleted member 392097
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 392097

It would be really useful if as well as it telling you how much memory you have left and that you don't have much memory left (when in-game this is displayed when you have low memory). It would be useful if in the Launcher in somewhere like Memory Settings for it to have some sort of memory metre that would tell you how much memory you had left out of how much.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Come on, if you know about memory you should know where to find your computer's RAM.

D

Deleted member 392097

Come on, if you know about memory you should know where to find your computer's RAM.
    That is not exactly what I meant. I meant that it would be good if there was some kind of metre that would show you how much memory StarMade had used out of the Maximal Memory amount that you specify.

StarMade Memory Settings.PNG

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maximual memory shouldn't be so high. I'm guessing it's yours, so in that case you really should increase initial to 1024, early generation to 512 and PUT MAXIMAL AT 2048!

And if you want to check the currently used memory you just use task manager.
    Ps: Don't forget to increase the memory allocated to java itself.

D

Deleted member 392097

Maximual memory shouldn't be so high. I'm guessing it's yours, so in that case you really should increase initial to 1024, early generation to 512 and PUT MAXIMAL AT 2048!
    You say that having it at 2000 is too high, yet you suggest to set it to a higher amount. I am assuming that you meant "1048"?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You say that having it at 2000 is too high, yet you suggest to set it to a higher amount. I am assuming that you meant "1048"?
    I think he was referring to initial memory there.
    And when you set a memory value, make sure it's a multiple of 1024, or 1024 is a multiple of the value you set it.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Actually the game already tells you that when your playing.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd like to optimize my experience with the game, especially when it's first starting up. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for different amounts of RAM? I have a paltry 2 GB (hoping to upgrade at the end of this year.)

Example:
    For 2GB, set max to 1500 MB, initial to 256 MB, and early generation to 32 MB.
    For 4GB, set max to 3000 MB, initial to 378 MB, and early generation to 48 MB.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I'd like to optimize my experience with the game, especially when it's first starting up. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for different amounts of RAM? I have a paltry 2 GB (hoping to upgrade at the end of this year.)

Example:
    For 2GB, set max to 1500 MB, initial to 256 MB, and early generation to 32 MB.
    For 4GB, set max to 3000 MB, initial to 378 MB, and early generation to 48 MB.
    I set my max to the RAM I have available - 2GB (or half the RAM if the RAM is <4GB)
    initial is half the max.
    early gen is 1/4th of the initial.

Reaction score
    If you turn on the tech info, it says how much memory is used and available, as well as the total starmade is using.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I guess it depends on your computer. If you only have 2 gb total RAM on your computer I'd really not go over 1024 maximal memory with 512 initial and 256 early generation, but it might be even lower.

To check what you can assign to starmade:
    Put your computer in sleep mode. If you're using windows, open task manager when you start back up. This will show you the currently used amount of RAM. If you have 3 GB left, assign 2 GB as max. If you have 2 GB left, assign 1 GB as max. If you have 6, assign 4.

Rule of thumb: Don't assign too much memory. Your processor will most likely not be able to handle it. You want to make sure that there is plenty of memory left for it to run.

Very important!
    Please do not forget to give java self the right amount of memory. Otherwise you won't notice any difference.