Launcher error

Reaction score
    I have downloaded the launcher, and when I try to start it I get "An error occurred while starting the application. Access is denied." I have tried all the ways I have found to fix it, and nothing is fixing this. Any idea on how to fix this? I played this game around a year or two ago, and I had no issues with it.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in again? Seriously, delete it and re download it unless you have already, then move it to another folder. I have mine on my desktop and it works fine.

Reaction score
    I tried that already and it didn't work. I'll need a more helpful suggestion on how to fix this.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    what OS is running on your pc if Linux you need to right click and go to properties then the tab that says permissions and click the box that says allow executing files as program. if windows try right clicking and run as admin. give those a try if they apply to you and let us know if it helps

Reaction score
    what OS is running on your pc if Linux you need to right click and go to properties then the tab that says permissions and click the box that says allow executing files as program. if windows try right clicking and run as admin. give those a try if they apply to you and let us know if it helps
    I have Windows 8 and I did try that.[DOUBLEPOST=1414441824,1414441545][/DOUBLEPOST]
    In which directory did you put the launcher?
    If there is a specific directory I should try putting the launcher in, I would like to know.

Reaction score
    Well, if you, for instance, put it somewhere below Program Files, I guess you could expect errors like that. I've heard of problems related to your Desktop directory, too.

Reaction score
    As far as I can really tell, i'm being blocked from using it for some reason. It always says "An error occurred while starting the application. Access is denied." when I try to run it. I downloaded it, and chose open on the downloads bar at the bottom of the browser. It said "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. " I have no idea at all, of what I have done to cause myself to be blocked from using it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, you should never choose open when downloading executable files e.g. *.exe files. Very dangerous you should always choose a save option and run a virus checker first before opening such files.
    Download again and in the bar at the bottom of the browser choose for Save, or even better Save As, and put the file in its own folder you created before, or what you can create when the save dialog shows up. (for instance C:\Starmade) Scan the downloaded file for viruses, better safe then sorry, and if okee, run it.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Hmm, you should never choose open when downloading executable files e.g. *.exe files. Very dangerous you should always choose a save option and run a virus checker first before opening such files.
    Download again and in the bar at the bottom of the browser choose for Save, or even better Save As, and put the file in its own folder you created before, or what you can create when the save dialog shows up. (for instance C:\Starmade) Scan the downloaded file for viruses, better safe then sorry, and if okee, run it.

Greets,

Jan

I'm pretty sure my firewall would have taken care of any viruses. Also not really sure I would be at risk of a virus, on a website that should be safe. I did try putting it back in its own folder, and I got "An error occurred while starting the application. Access is denied." again. It just comes back to what I said about me possibly being blocked from using it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, did a quick test downloading the launcher again and running it, no problem, so it's something at your end.
    Do you have Java 7.x runtime installed on your pc, does your current login account in windows has the permissions to install and run new applications.

For what it's worth if you use the standard windows firewall and not one that's part of an AV package it doesn't scan for viruses, that's not were it's for, and even safe sites can be hacked, so, I'll say it again, better safe then sorry. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Well, did a quick test downloading the launcher again and running it, no problem, so it's something at your end.
    Do you have Java 7.x runtime installed on your pc, does your current login account in windows has the permissions to install and run new applications.

For what it's worth if you use the standard windows firewall and not one that's part of an AV package it doesn't scan for viruses, that's not were it's for, and even safe sites can be hacked, so, I'll say it again, better safe then sorry. ;)

Greets,

Jan
    . It may be java that I'll have to look at more. I've had enough experiences with viruses to be pretty safe from them at this point.[DOUBLEPOST=1414494060,1414493925][/DOUBLEPOST]I wish some things would work right but I guess thats not how life works...

Reaction score
    I downloaded it, and chose open on the downloads bar at the bottom of the browser. it.
    I'm currently confused as to what that means, because my browser doesn't have that.
    Assuming Jananton is right, then you could have told me that when I asked. Choose save and save it somewhere, because if you choose to have it open right after download, your browser will probably put it in some temporary directory where all your game progress could be lost at any time (if you weren't prohibited to save there in the first place). The launcher is no setup program, it is the game's launcher, no installation necessary.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm currently confused as to what that means, because my browser doesn't have that.
    I presumed he's using IE. When clicking on a download link a bar shows up at the bottom with three choices; 'Open', 'Save' what is in effect a drop down menu where you can choose Save As as well, otherwise the default download folder hidden in Documents & Settings is used, and of course 'Cancel'.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    At this point I really don't have any idea on how to fix my issue. Ill have to wait until Starmade is finally on Steam, or I finally find what I need to do to fix this.[DOUBLEPOST=1414527306,1414527163][/DOUBLEPOST]I have bad luck really. I even had to fix something to get Steam to work on my computer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think der_sheme has this one right. The launcher has downloaded to your browser's downloads folder, which is inside a protected folder system, and therefore cannot access Java.

Go to your downloads folder and move the StarMade-starter.exe file to a new folder C:\StarMade\ and run it from there.

Reaction score
    I think der_sheme has this one right. The launcher has downloaded to your browser's downloads folder, which is inside a protected folder system, and therefore cannot access Java.

Go to your downloads folder and move the StarMade-starter.exe file to a new folder C:\StarMade\ and run it from there.
    One of the first things I tried but I guess its worth another.[DOUBLEPOST=1414534732,1414534536][/DOUBLEPOST]As I expected still didn't work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, did you google the error, it seems there's a lot about this phenomenon, you're obviously not the only one.
    Have a look here, maybe there's a solution in there as I obviously not know your exact pc configuration.

Good luck.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    K, seems like we have to dig into that a little deeper.
    • When exactly do you get that error?
    • Is your Windows 64bit? If yes, also try the following:
      1. Uninstall Java.
      2. Download the 64bit JRE directly from Oracle.
      3. Install it.
      4. Profit, because no more broken Java installation.

Reaction score
    I actually found that it may possibly be my firewall (I never found this beforehand somehow), and that I need to add StarMade to exceptions. I'll have to contact my dad about that tomorrow, since he thinks I need to be under the parental controls of the firewall. (I can't really configure the firewall in any way)