Lastest dev build question

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I used to build lots of things with rails 1-2 dev updates ago
    I try them now I updated to last one and they seems to be veeeery slow (even worst than before)
    I hope that means the speed is now user configurable. But I don't know how to set the speed. I can't find anything in blockbehaviorconfig.xml
    Does anyone know?

Reaction score
    I used to build lots of things with rails 1-2 dev updates ago
    I try them now I updated to last one and they seems to be veeeery slow (even worst than before)
    I hope that means the speed is now user configurable. But I don't know how to set the speed. I can't find anything in blockbehaviorconfig.xml
    Does anyone know?
    There are now Rail Speed Controller blocks.

In order to activate them you must connect them both to Activators and rails.

The percentage of activated Activators dictate the speed.

For instance, if you have one activator connected, and it is on, the speed of rails will be 200%. Should the activator be disabled, speed will be 0%.
    If you have 2 activators connected, 1 enabled and 1 disabled, the speed will be only 100% (as if nothing is connected).

If 4 activators are connected, and 3 are enabled, then the speed will be 150%

Unfortunately, something is wrong with rails in the current dev build version, so if you try to move anything bigger than a shuttle it will slow down considerably. If you want to try rail docking and have fun with it I suggest downgrading to 0.19201, it has new rail textures and rails are not penalized by mass.

Reactions: HerrColonel

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can't exceed 200% ?

Activators --> Speed_Controllers --> Rails.

Do you still need Activators --> Rails then? Seems like overkill.
    ((what else? A generic array controller block.
    If selected by something else it is the same as if all blocks slaved to that controller are selected))

Reaction score
    You can't exceed 200% ?

Activators --> Speed_Controllers --> Rails.

Do you still need Activators --> Rails then? Seems like overkill.
    ((what else? A generic array controller block.
    If selected by something else it is the same as if all blocks slaved to that controller are selected))

Unless I am missing something completely obvious, you can't exceed 200%. I hope someone will correct me. I have tried numerous Rail Speed Controllers and connected them in every which way possible. And yes, it appears that Speed controllers cannot work without the Activator block.

They have also added a block called Rail mass enhancer, however the functionality of that block eludes me at the moment. What would be the purpose of "Enhancing" rail mass? Hopefully this block will increase the mass that rails will be able to move without being slowed down due to excess weight.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    They have also added a block called Rail mass enhancer, however the functionality of that block eludes me at the moment. What would be the purpose of "Enhancing" rail mass? Hopefully this block will increase the mass that rails will be able to move without being slowed down due to excess weight.
    Slowed down ... I hope the penalty is only this.

Reaction score
    slow down with bigger things is NOT a bug
    it is a bug fix, means rail mass enhancer is online and usable now :D

but the calculation of the mass enhancer is wired, i think it may need a rebalance before push to release

all you need to do is place mass enhancer in your main entity, like power storage,
    easy as that, no special placing direction(the xyz thing of power generator)

Reaction score
    slow down with bigger things is NOT a bug
    it is a bug fix, means rail mass enhancer is online and usable now :D

but the calculation of the mass enhancer is wired, i think it may need a rebalance before push to release

all you need to do is place mass enhancer in your main entity, like power storage,
    easy as that, no special placing direction(the xyz thing of power generator)
    That's good news! I am not at my PC at the noment but I am dying to know, how effective is the mass enhancer module?. That is, if I wanted to move a 300 mass entity at a decent speed, how many blocks would I need to place? Also, I take it that placing Mass Enhancers on the carrier speeds up all the rail-docked entities? What if I want some of them to stay slow? Regulating them with speed controller appears to be the only option. Correct?

Reaction score
    That's good news! I am not at my PC at the noment but I am dying to know, how effective is the mass enhancer module?. That is, if I wanted to move a 300 mass entity at a decent speed, how many blocks would I need to place? Also, I take it that placing Mass Enhancers on the carrier speeds up all the rail-docked entities? What if I want some of them to stay slow? Regulating them with speed controller appears to be the only option. Correct?
    no, it works like this if my memory is not wrong:

first, you have an amount of free mass amount comes with the rail system,
    lets say it is 10(in mass) for easy calculation and understanding

Case A:
    your main ship have 3 small doors
    each door is 9 mass, all of your doors will receive 100% moving speed

Case B:
    your main ship have 3 small doors and a huge door
    normal door under 10 mass will move at 100% speed
    but the huge door will only have a % of speed which depends on the ratio of [entity mass:rail support mass]

So in Case B, you need to add mass enhancer to add more amount of rail support mass

but no matter how large is the scale, there is a min 1% speed.

In the current dev build 0.19209, mass enhancer works on both rail and rail rotator, so as the speed controller
    but the mass enhancer still have some bug with the calculation. seems now it is counting block now but not mass.
    Which will probably be fix soon.

PS. please be aware, mass enhancer need power, if there is not enough power,
    it will stop working and things will move very very very very very slow again

Reaction score
    no, it works like this if my memory is not wrong:

first, you have an amount of free mass amount comes with the rail system,
    lets say it is 10(in mass) for easy calculation and understanding

Case A:
    your main ship have 3 small doors
    each door is 9 mass, all of your doors will receive 100% moving speed

Case B:
    your main ship have 3 small doors and a huge door
    normal door under 10 mass will move at 100% speed
    but the huge door will only have a % of speed which depends on the ratio of [entity mass:rail support mass]

So in Case B, you need to add mass enhancer to add more amount of rail support mass

but no matter how large is the scale, there is a min 1% speed.

In the current dev build 0.19209, mass enhancer works on both rail and rail rotator, so as the speed controller
    but the mass enhancer still have some bug with the calculation. seems now it is counting block now but not mass.
    Which will probably be fix soon.

I see. Thank you for this information! Will experiment once I get a chance!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Does it add to a storage which is depleted by mass which is moving:
    Just like reactors -> capacitors -> guns?

• Or is it more complicated like:
    You have no power for 1 second and everything gets a short "lag"-spike in movement / turning?
    They drained x% of total requested power, thus speed = (base+ x%) instead of (base+ 100%)?

Personally, I would like rail blocks themselves to contribute.
    If you build 2 rails next to each other for aesthetics, shouldn't an object be able to divert it's mass?
    Or if some docked has more than 1 rail docker touching a rail block...​

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    • Does it add to a storage which is depleted by mass which is moving:
    Just like reactors -> capacitors -> guns?

• Or is it more complicated like:
    You have no power for 1 second and everything gets a short "lag"-spike in movement / turning?
    They drained x% of total requested power, thus speed = (base+ x%) instead of (base+ 100%)?

Personally, I would like rail blocks themselves to contribute.
    If you build 2 rails next to each other for aesthetics, shouldn't an object be able to divert it's mass?
    Or if some docked has more than 1 rail docker touching a rail block...​
    There's no "mass storage", running out of power, and staying there will make the enhancers ...not enhance anymore. Maybe it still enhances a bit but I don't notice it at least.

Reaction score
    Well, who needs rails when the new turrets are finally working with bobby AI?!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hi all,

Im still struggling with rail speed controllers.
    I have a lift (elevator) and no matter how I slave the speed controller blocks I cant see any change in speed.

Can anyone confirm that the way to link is
    ( Activator block - Rail speed block
    Rail speed block - the length of rail blocks).
    Turn on activator block..

Thanks in advance!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Hi all,

Im still struggling with rail speed controllers.
    I have a lift (elevator) and no matter how I slave the speed controller blocks I cant see any change in speed.

Can anyone confirm that the way to link is
    ( Activator block - Rail speed block
    Rail speed block - the length of rail blocks).
    Turn on activator block..

Thanks in advance!
    You link the speed controller TO activators (C on speed controller, V on activators). Then you link the speed controller to the rails or rotators you want to modify (C on speed controller, V on activators).

If your docked stuff is moving at a very slow speed it's because it's too heavy, add rail enhancers to the entity that has the rails/rotators, just place them down and they will enhance the movement (make sure they have power, they use 10 per rail enhancer block)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Thanks Lancake, thats works.
    I see that the limit is 200%, so no turbo lifts just yet.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Thanks Lancake, thats works.
    I see that the limit is 200%, so no turbo lifts just yet.
    Correct, possibly that will change in the future but mostly it is for gameplay reasons, theoretical it would be possible to make a 1 000 000 mass ship spin around so fast it would be ridiculous and cause a lot of server and client side problems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yeah I totally agree. Its a shame because atm the elevators travel much the same speed as walking with no grav.
    But its still a promising feature.
    Iam I correct in think that currently cores on rails can only travel in two axis, up, down left and right, unlike a round rail which would allow side movement?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Yeah I totally agree. Its a shame because atm the elevators travel much the same speed as walking with no grav.
    But its still a promising feature.
    Iam I correct in think that currently cores on rails can only travel in two axis, up, down left and right, unlike a round rail which would allow side movement?
    You can't go diagonally (yet? :d) but it is possible to go left/right, up/down, back/front and all that with a single rail network although it's a bit tricky to explain, I can show you a picture of an example if you want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you could, Im new to the dev build but am starting to get the hang of it.
    The context that im thinking is with the elevator to access different strategic parts of the ship, say bridge/viewing deck (when the bridge is more than just dressing), down to the various hangers, or weapon batteries, labs etc.

Now as I see it atm the elevator can move up/down on the z axis and either along the Y or X axis but not both?
    If you could post a picture that would be great.

So you know I build my ships for Roleplay, so they have full interiors. Oh if only we had a captains chair instead of the core!

Thank you for your feedback and help.