Large ships.

Reaction score
    For once, I think ksp sets a good example: Ships that weigh 750 tonnes and are powered by little engines have slower acceleration than ships weighing 75 tonnes with the same engines, but giveing the 750 tonne ship giant engines makes it have the same acceleration. Hoever, both the big ship with the little engines and the small ship with the same engine both can get to 1500m/s if you give them time.

TLDR or didn\'t understand: The more mass, the bigger engines required for a certin acceleation. That is not say bigger ships are slower, though. I never, EVER want to see big ships have slow speed.

Reaction score
    This is still going on?
    Really?

The damned system already is fine, if someone wants to add 10K+ engine blocks on their death cube, so be it! Gah, they use loads of energy anyway.

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ship restrictions of size works and speed factors, no harm in accelation, most suffer from collision factors from accelation and not knowing how to decellerate they should add piping for cooling, fuel. The reactor should react and the engine should spin to produce power of converted energy and bi-directional thrusters thrust adds to the design so you want a ship that honks out power it\'s there and going to cost ya! The fighters need a different teir of componets, putting fighter gear into a big ship carrier is laughable, and putting captial ship parts in a fighter just does not work! different blocks for fighters, Than you would see a balance that is more inline to realism, simular to build craft and red power, size balance, with options.

Reaction score
    How about we fix more important things? Like..you know...

BLOODY TURRETS, SHEILDS, AND TURN RATE?

Speed means squat in a game where everyone can reach max speed by slapping on more thrusters.

Reaction score
    \"Speed means squat in a game where everyone can reach max speed by slapping on more thrusters.\"

Sounds like part of the problem to me.

Ship speed and acceleration is just as big of a problem as the turn rate. Presumably you\'re referring to the issue where 300 mass ships turn just as slowly as 3000 mass ships? Turrets seem functional now and I\'m not sure what you\'re referring to with \'shields\', but I have to assume that any problems with shields will be addressed in the weapons update.

Reaction score
    I fixed the big vs small big vs small on my client by increasing max speed to an nigh impossible number.Of course, no server is going to have light speed as max due to server lag and ships moving faster than the projectiles (unless changed in server.cfg) . When you consider the amount of resources put into large ships, it should be fair that they can still accelerate reasonably fast.

Reaction score
    well the SR1 blackbird dosen\'t obay those law

Missle advoidence sytem aclearate to mach 3

Reaction score
    I agree that missiles are a major issue, mostly in part to the fact that a near stationary object can outrun the things.

However I must point out that as it stands there are very few counters to missiles, outside of dodging the strait firing ones. I honestly think that until they developed a set of counter agents for missiles they won\'t raise their speed, for even in the missiles slow state if they hit something it still blows them to bits.

Note: When I say slow I mean a pirate sitting in place swiveling could almost outrun one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Small ship -> High acceleration and cheap engines, decreased max speed due to space partikles (You know the option the set how fast you slow down naturly)

Big hips -> High max speed becuase they can really force them selfs through the partikles but low acceleration due to enginen cost.

To achive this in game would need quite a bit of math, the would be, for good or evil, a sweet spot where your ships have the best of both worlds but owell.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    In most sci-fi it is:

large ship: slower in realspace, but easier to have FTL

small ship: faster in realspace, but harder to have FTL.

This sets up roles: small ships respond to areas neaby/where FTL wouldn\'t work, and larger ships transport smaller ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with both ante185 and Itmauve and I think either of their ideas would work great. However, I am perfectly fine with the current system and I think would rather be addressing directional thrusters to speed up turning because I find that taking ten minutes to turn a large capital ship in a full circle annoying.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with both ante185 and Itmauve and I think either of their ideas would work great. However, I am perfectly fine with the current system and I think would rather be addressing directional thrusters to speed up turning because I find that taking ten minutes to turn a large capital ship in a full circle annoying.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In most sci-fi it is:

large ship: slower in realspace, but easier to have FTL

small ship: faster in realspace, but harder to have FTL

Assuming:

sub-light thrust formula is something like:

( % of ship mass) *( server limit) /( wanted percentage of thrusters for full thrust) *( small bonus with diminishing returns up to 20% at infinite blocks)

FTL formula is dependent on block count with diminishing returns to the server warp-factor and wanted-ship-length in server conifg.

Projectile speed and range is same while damage has a 20% bonus at infinite blocks (logitarithmic diminishing returns for 10% average bonus on maximum sized ships)

Then big ships will still be faster sub-light, but often sacrify this advantage for better warp-factors.

That would also encurage use of fighters, as these move \"more times their own length per second\" thus are harder to hit and more efficient vs not instant-hit weapons.

Which is nullified by the requirement to come close.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, I\'d assume that the simple energy cap would make sure that you couldn\'t put enough thrusters on a large enough ship (once the thrusters get another balence) to make it go faster.

If there was a thruster that increased max speed and one that increased thrust, then as long as there were dimisnishing returns for thruster power, then large ships would have to have limited speed or acceleration if they wanted either.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ever heard of a little something called inertia?

You are right on one point: weight doesn\'t matter, mass does.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, in an MMO you have to level up. You just can\'t equip the inifinity +inifinty sword once you find it on the side of the road. Likewise, adding crewing reqirements for larger ships, for turrets, and for squadrons means that players couldn\'t just make titans and fly them around.

Of course, getting lots of crew is easy, but what if you had a limit to the crew you could have, including all the crew you had on your ships not in your team. So you would start out with a top of 5 crew, and doing something like destroying a pirate station you would get another crewmember - you would still only have 5 on your team - that you could assign to a ship. You would keep doing things that would increase the crew you could have under your command, until you finally got the 270 crew needed to crew your titan.

Reaction score
    In relation to ltmauve\'s post

I really like the idea of adding a leveling system by using crew members to operate a ship according to its proportion. Maybe the Captain (you) can level up by combat or mining or other actions. The captain can have a capacity of crew members according to his level and he can hire new crew from a shop (if wanted, some other station) if you lose crew when your ship is destroyed. So that it doesn\'t limit players too much, as in lose your crew and cannot get any bigger ships because you keep dying by everything, the captain can have by default a minimum crew limit that he cannot be reduced below.
    Can make sense whereas having a higher level the more willing people are to join your crew as word spreads of your battles and victories.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having the number of crew in your fleet go down wasn\'t something I had thought of, but it does make sense. If you have to kill off twenty crew to take out a pirate station, you clearly don\'t deserve to get more crew. So if any of your fleet dies, there is a chance that your crew count will go down. Not guarenteed, but enough that you don\'t want to risk your redshirts.