Large counters loose time/sync

Reaction score
    I've been toying with a 64 stage counter (6 FLIPs and 6 NOTs). A button outputs to the first FLIP and to a NOT (the NOT outputs to all of the ANDs in the next stage to eliminate those pesky junk signals). The various combinations of the counter output to 64 AND's.

Attaching a simple DELAY/NOT clock to the button will cycle the counter every half second and all 64 ANDs will light up in order just fine. The issue I am having appears when the ANDs are outputted to system blocks such as computers or lights. As soon as I do this, the counter no longer changes every half second, but chugs along in fits and bursts....

Anyone have an idea why this would be?

Thanks!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It sounds kinda like lag. Have you tried making it into synchronous logic with ands and a single clock?

Also there are ways to generate very fast clocks, but I believe they lag. Others can comment on that.

Reaction score
    It sounds kinda like lag. Have you tried making it into synchronous logic with ands and a single clock?

Also there are ways to generate very fast clocks, but I believe they lag. Others can comment on that.
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking there, lol ... it is a synchronous, all outputs are ANDs, and it uses a single clock =)

......and God help me if I run that counter with anything BUT a .5 standard clock. Anything faster really sheets the bed =/

I considered lag, but as I'm playing single player in an empty sector with a water cooled monster build computer, lag should be unlikely.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello,
    I have a little problem understanding the scenario but sounds to me there can be an issue with the "and" not switching state fast enough sometimes to keep up. I found it a bit unreliable if you do to long chains with just "and"

With that said i could run some test if you send me the device or show a picture of the schematic. But (to promote myself hoho) i could suggest having a counter made of only flips:
    The pattern just scale so
    1th row: 1 flip
    2th row: 2 flips
    etc etc

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking there, lol ... it is a synchronous, all outputs are ANDs, and it uses a single clock =)

......and God help me if I run that counter with anything BUT a .5 standard clock. Anything faster really sheets the bed =/

I considered lag, but as I'm playing single player in an empty sector with a water cooled monster build computer, lag should be unlikely.
    Is the logic circuit close to each other, say within a reach of 100 blocks? Logic on long distances is likely to have a small delay
    For the rest, even when you don't feel and see lag, it can be around and happen to the best of us. (I might need to warn you that when a sector is unloaded, the logic stops. If you were planning on making a real clock)

Hello,
    I have a little problem understanding the scenario but sounds to me there can be an issue with the "and" not switching state fast enough sometimes to keep up. I found it a bit unreliable if you do to long chains with just "and"

With that said i could run some test if you send me the device or show a picture of the schematic. But (to promote myself hoho) i could suggest having a counter made of only flips:
    etc etc
    that dramatic music tho :P

Reaction score
    Is the logic circuit close to each other, say within a reach of 100 blocks? Logic on long distances is likely to have a small delay
    For the rest, even when you don't feel and see lag, it can be around and happen to the best of us. (I might need to warn you that when a sector is unloaded, the logic stops. If you were planning on making a real clock)

that dramatic music tho :p
    Yes, the logic is all within 20 meters or so of each other .... the poster right before you made a guess that looks very similar to what is happening, as the switching of the binary "patterns" seems to be moving along just fine, yet the associated ANDs do not fire in even time (they do all fire, in sequence too, yet in fits and bursts)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456544175,1456544057][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hello,

etc etc
    They sounds promising...could you explain how they connect to each other? I'll replace my own counter in and see if it can keep up!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    They sounds promising...could you explain how they connect to each other? I'll replace my own counter in and see if it can keep up!

This gives you a lenght of 3 binary code. If you need more its just to add more in the same pattern.

As you can see in the picture you read the state on those flipflops on the right. Those are you panel.