Land/In Gravity Vehicle Part Ideas

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't think we need too many new blocks if any at all for this although there is some cross-entity marking to tell the AI what exactly something it so it knows what to do with it. :)

We'd definitely need a either a new block to mark the parts or new functionality in the AI module or build mode to pull this off.

I wasn't sure if to use Rail turret axis's or rail rotators for this one so I'll just show both. Keep in mind if anyone has their own ideas feel free to chime in. :P In all cases the AI module will have a Land/In Gravity Vehicle setting where there is normally ship or turret. The AI with main body mounted weapons will only try to face targets like a ship normally does if its land movement parts are built in such a way it is able to. Otherwise it'll try to find another way to get the target in front of it. If all else fails you'll need turrets on it.

Walker Legs: These are made of 2+ docked entities docked to the main one just like turrets but they can have more links. They can be either spiked or flat. The flat ones use no new blocks but can't clime up things like cliffs or walls unless they are stepping over them. The spiked ones on the other hand use a new block called a Walker Spike this allows walkers to stick to surfaces and even make it so they'll stick to ships as well allowing them to move no matter the angle as long as it doesn't cause the body to slam into things too much.

Rail Turret Axis Setup: You basically dock N number of leg segments to each other in a chain than mark them in build mode as a leg(s). The AI will do a prep stage when turned on after it has been turned off to check the range of motion it has and than figure out how to move the legs on its own as able.

Rail Rotator Setup: Same idea as the above one but you can use Activation modules at each link to tell the AI how much range of motion it has at that link in the chain. Also you can use Rail Speed Controllers at the different links to tell it what the speed range it has. The AI in this case will automatically turn on and off the activation blocks to adjust speed and range of motion but neither are needed and if not provided the AI will simply use the defaults. Other than this all other info is the same as before.

PS: Don't kill me I know there are a few other rail logic setups to legs but this was the first that came to mind.

Wheels: These are a tad easier on the devs' brains to figure out and might be the first into the game. A single rail turret axis or rotator is needed but other than that it is really that simple. At minimum in either case all you do is dock a core with a rail docker and prey the AI knows what it is doing.

Rotor Blades: Rotor blades are a tad different, each blade needs at least one thruster to even be thought of as aerodynamic and each additional one helps with its rotational thrust. The game is going to need to know what's going to qualify as aerodynamic. Normal blocks would be the least aerodynamic and give the least lift in an atmosphere while adding wedges and other shapes that take up less space or have sharper edges will help with lift. Also rotors can be either a single docked entity with 2+ blades built off of it or each blade can be its own docked entity. Having the blades as docked entities allows for greater fine tuning of lift and direction. Rotors don't work outside the atmosphere of a planet or object with a large enough inside space.

Hover Jets: Nothing more than thrusters or super small rotors that are for hovering above a planet's surface or a station's for that matter. These like above need an atmosphere to function in either case but other than that it is basically a gravity bound ship.

Anyone have some more ideas?

Reactions: BrotherLazarus
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    No outright ideas, but some feedback.

Rotors would likely need a discrete construction block to avoid collision issues, I would think. I mean From the Depths does pull it off but you need specific blocks to pull it off. The jets on the other hand... especially if downward facing jets were capable of holding altitude... GEVs could be incredibly useful, but then we'd need treads to build an Ogre or two...

Legs: Oh good god yes. I have yet to get a chance to play anything that lets me (relatively simply) engineer a good walker...

Actually come to think of it, the leg "joints" could probably be similar to a retasked rotater block. 45, 90, and 180 degree variants perhaps? Use 45s for knees, 180s for your spider crawler "hip" joints...