Jump Drives, Jump gates, and things that make you fast

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    During my time playing stardrive I've always seen or heard players complain about the speed limits and their ability to get from one place to another.

Although there have been many posts about warp drives and jump drives I have yet to see one that would use a gate.

Since most players would start off with a very small and basic ship it would be impossible for them to use let alone acquire a power hungry drive to launch them to their destonaition.

The answer, Jump gates and Tug drives

Jump gates would be constructed in 2 fashions, one would be a public low power ring, much like the ones you see in eve. These would be able to send you a short distance in the general direction of another gate. They could also require the payment of a toll. These would be spawned like shops every now and then and would be damageable. Why would you destroy a gate you say, These gates could also be a way to safely create a secret base or staition that is only assessable via the gate.

Tug drives

The idea of having a small ship thats not capable of containing a warp drive itself brings forth the question of how to add one. The answer, a detachable ring or set of boosters that would attach to the front back or sides of the vessel. The engines would need to be larger than the ship and would be able to contain a warp drive due to their size. But due to the fact that they are still small they would not be able to propel your craft a large distance and would have to be recharged every now and then based on the amount of power blocks and stores it has onboard.

The basic idea of drives, You type in some coords into your waypoint computer. If your craft has enough energy stored inside of the craft you will be able to jump to the target. But during this jump energy production is halted until you exit the warp. The distance your allowed to jump is also based on the size of your engines and the drive itself.

Third and final, a non warp idea

Control thrusters

These engine blocks would look much like the normal engines. But they would not increase its max speed, instead it would allow the ship to increase its handling ability and acceleration.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Like the ones in the X universe. They can only jump to someplace that you\'ve been before, they require a chargeup time, so no jumping while being shot, and it costs resources to jump so you might not do it just to move a couple sectors. Give them a cooldown so ships are not jumping all over the universe toppling servers.

Jump gates would be fun, very reminiscent of Freelancer another great space game. Being buildable by players means great variation in the designs which could be cool.

Once docking is improved, and chain docking works without being OP I can see dockable engines becoming quite popular, especially if they are FTL.

Reaction score
    Any of you ever heard of Stargate?I would like to see those kind of gates It would also be cool if the blocks used to build one would only be found in ruins on planets.

I don´t think FTL Drives are necessary though.Exploring the universe is something that should be done with Snails pace (or whatever its called).I fear that FTLs Will only lead to players which fly away tenthousands of Sectors so they shall never be found again.Also high speed collisions are very dangerous...

Reaction score
    I\'m going to start off by saying that I\'m not mad even though it may come off that way because I\'m criticizing your behavior.

Stop resurrecting every topic related to a subject and then posting the same idea each one of them. This is not a good way to get your ideas across as most people will react negatively to this approach, and for good reason. The front page has limited space, we don\'t need it flooded with seven topics all discussing the same thing. Topics on FTL, weapon balance, planet shape, as well as other popular subjects all get new posts about them at least once a day. Your spamming is just eating up extra space and taking away from less commonly talked about subjects.

Find a topic you like and post about it once. Unless the idea generates some genuine back and forth discussion, please don\'t do anything more than that. Also, I suggest doing some research to see if the approach you are posting has already been mentioned before. In this case it has.

I\'m not going to tell you to stop posting, but please go about it in the right way and be mindful others. We all have to share the forum and we don\'t have a lot of mods so it\'s up to us to act appropriately.

mou

Reaction score
    now there is more than 1800 posts about fast travel

schema said he cares about suggestion but he is working on something that have about 150 posts about it and which is much harder to make (round planets) same for other stuff that only very few people asked like personal shops, so ye