Java Platform SE Binary is not responding

Reaction score
    Hello all,

Just bought the game yesterday but get a crash saying "Java Platform SE Binary is not responding". I get it as soon as I go into build mode and try to move anywhere.

I've tried running at lowest graphical settings with no joy, and have just d/l the latest 64 bit Java (v.8 update 25) which didn't make any difference either.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Cheers

Reaction score
    Just had a response from support which worked like a charm, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone else having this problem:

"unfortunately it looks like your installation is broken. The best and easiest way to fix it, is to create a new folder and start with a fresh automatic installation of starmade.

To do this,
    browse to your hard-disk (C:) and create a new folder.
    I suggest using the path:
    C:\Starmade

however, any path not in a protected area from windows will work. ('Programs', 'Desktop', 'Download' and 'My Files' are places that can cause problems. Antivirus scanners block access or scan every file-access and slow down your game without a good reason.)
    Now place a fresh downloaded launcher from the official download page
    http://star-made.org/download in that folder and start it.

Now select the correct path in the Launcher, enter the correct path into the opening dialog, hit OK and let it install the latest version.

Your starmade should work now.
    If not please add logs from that installation.
    Open:
    C:\Starmade\StarMade\logs
    and send in all files you see in that folder.
    We will check for the source of the problems then."

[EDIT] - Turns out this didn't work for me either though I'll leave it up as its all good info. What it seems to be is a problem with the key bindings. I can play (and I have been) on vanilla key settings.

If I change the bindings to my preferred keys I get the Java crash, but only in build mode moving around the core block. As a left handed person WSAD settings are useless for me, I always use Numpad keys for movement & primary controls. These seem to be the problem. I can change to other key bindings (using IKJL instead of WSAD atm, still crappy but better than vanilla) and play normally, however the minute I go for Numpad keys I get the crash.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Cheers

Last edited: