Java error: Memory problem

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, so i bought starmade yesterday. And when i started playing i just gotta say. I love the game. But 4-5 min into the game i started getting these lagspikes. Every 2-3 sec. And i though, maybe its just downloading so i tortured myself through this for 10 min. Then i decided to try to fix it. Read myself up on the error. And found out that it was my memory. So i tried to set up the memory. I got 16 gb ram. And when i sat the memory up. I got java error. Cant remember the message. Aint at home so cant find it either. But when i tried to reset it. And set the memory back again to maybe remove the error. The game woudent launch. I just pressed start game. And nothing happend so i cant play. Tried uninstalling the game 3 times. And reinstall java 2 times. Nothing worked. Anyone got any ideas? im desperate.

Reaction score
    I'm going to take a wild guess at what has happened.

You've got 32 bit java. The default memory allocated to Starmade is inadequate, as you discovered. 32 bit java can only use a bit over 1000 MB (1024 maybe?) of memory. When you attempted to run java with 16000 MB of memory, you caused a java crash (specifically, javaw.exe).

javaw.exe likes to crash in a special way when too much memory is allocated, where the process (ctrl + alt + delete, task manager, processes) keeps running, invisible to the user. Uninstalling Starmade doesn't reveal/fix this, as java is not uninstalled. Without restarting your computer, javaw.exe is still running the next time you try to launch Starmade, causing an error.

@schema Can I suggest that the launcher does a check for 64 bit java when over 1024 (or the actual number) of memory is allocated?