Is the Wiki ship classification page accurate in your opinion?

Reaction score

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Valck is correct. There is no official designation for ship sizes. That page was likely created by a regular player that wanted to share their ship class system.

With the introduction of new assets to the game all of the Schine-made ships will fall into the following categories - small, medium, large and extra large. Beyond that you can designate the build however you want. Ship types such as frigate, cruiser and battleship are subject to a players interpretation.

Reactions: JimmyJamba

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think most people use a sort of Mass, Size, and Function based system for classes these days but not sure what it is.

Reaction score
    But would you say that this would still be accurate to current ships more or less? As a sort of guideline?
    I wouldn't even look at it in the first place. If I call something a "frigate", there's bound to be somebody sneering at my puny "fighter". It all depends on the context of the server you're playing on, or solely your own imagination if single player.

Consider the so-called "real life": Today's "frigates" are almost as capable as yesterday's battleships.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    I think most people use a sort of Mass, Size, and Function based system for classes these days but not sure what it is.
    you mean this?

[DOUBLEPOST=1451775019,1451774878][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I wouldn't even look at it in the first place. If I call something a "frigate", there's bound to be somebody sneering at my puny "fighter". It all depends on the context of the server you're playing on, or solely your own imagination if single player.

Consider the so-called "real life": Today's "frigates" are almost as capable as yesterday's battleships.
    Understandable. I'm sure players have developed better ways of creating ships, and more efficient means.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Ive always done it off of ship size(not mass, dimensions), mass, and then weapons/utilities/etc.

The light cruiser i recently released, i was calling a frigate, simple because it doesnt have the firepower, or much of anything else to make it a cruiser i felt, but hey, i just build things :D

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    you mean this?
    That guide was created by Bench when he was doing his ship features. Even though he is a member of schine these are his classifications and are in no way an official ship classification guide.

As it has already been stated ship classes are up to the individual player.

Reaction score
    That guide was created by Bench when he was doing his ship features. Even though he is a member of schine these are his classifications and are in no way an official ship classification guide.

As it has already been stated ship classes are up to the individual player.
    I never said it was official in any way. The other guy mentioned something similar to this, and thought it might be what he meant.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When making a standard
    1. Look for the possible minimum, maximum and optimum.
    2. Search for a word or idea to clearly separate weight-classes and categories in your own specification.

–––Disclaimer: My opinions here–––

Class-0 Unmanned - defined by size of living quarters from Class-1:
    • Drones can even have a million blocks.
      • They have no interior and works without any crew.
      • If used for combat or mining or any task that scales in power, you have
        1. at least 2 and a mother-ship or station nearby (no hyper-drives).
        2. Many of them. A dozen at least.
      • Single-Drone uses:
        • surveillance
        • scouting
        • probing (collecting data on non-sentient entities that proof no treat of consequence after detection)
    • Mines = Drones with single usage.
    • Satellites = Drones without proper mobility (or static).
    Military:

Class-1 Fighters - defined by docking size of Class-1:
    • Light : 1-2 persons (like a motorcycle)
    • Medium : 1-3 to 1-5 persons (Like a car)
    • Heavy : 2-4 to 2-8 persons (Cannot be driven by 1 person anymore)
    Crew space is at least as thick as the thinner parts of the hull, for fighters mostly 1 deck and 1.5 decks for heavy (second being not as big as the first).
    Class-1 Interceptors - defined by docking size of Class-1:

A fighter is an interceptor when it has​
    • jump-drives (burst of mobility)
    • tools to pin down the target or stick to it.
    Class-2+3 Warships:
    • Light - defined by minimum crew size:

• Gunboats : Larger than fighters
      • Gunships : Larger than Interceptors –– can also be called Light-warships.
      • Gunboats+ships have no fighter/interceptor bays.
      • 3+ crew with required professionals
        • Pilot, Captain, Engineer, ... at least 3 jobs.

• Medium - defined by flexibility:

• Can carry 2..4 Class-1 to do side-tasks.
      • Also has 4-8 slots for mines, drones and satellites, because the flexibility it adds to the fleet is worth more than the 1% extra space saved.
      • It also has interior-space usable for various tasks.
        • Prisoner cells
        • High-value goods too valuable or secret to put into cargo ships.
      • 3+n..6+m+x crew. n= min of carried Class-1. m= maximum of carried Class-1. x= variance of your Class-2 ships of that category.

Fighters, Interceptors, Gunboats and Gunships need to be pure military functional vessels. Max 10% penalty in efficiency due to decoration and similar.
    When making a standard, you have to know the limits between it and lower categories.
    The limit needs to be defined. The best way to do this is using a word.

As weight-classes I use:
    0. [Drops] Only unmanned.​
    1. [Tiny] Fighters + Shuttles
      • This class is "tight" - all Class-1 should fit into all Hangars for any Class-1.
      • no proper living quarters
      • Hangar/Cargo for max 1-2x Class-0, but would sacrifice other parts.
      • Fighters can have 1-2 smallest-reasonable turrets (medium, heavy). Reasonable = >50% blocks for scalable properties.
    2. [Small] (War)ships
      • This class has 2 docking bay sizes using a technique like DIN-A4, DIN-A5 where a paper is the size of 2 smaller ones.
      • proper living quarters for 1-2 weeks
      • pressurized cargo bays and should have 1 drone bay for various tasks.
    3. [Medium] ships
      • Have all optional parts of Light ships of their own category (war, civilian, etc).
      • proper living quarters and crew size.
      • Should carry Class-1
    4. [Big] ships - defined by not being supposed to dock into another ship.
    5. [Super] ships - defined by being unique outfitted.
    6. [Special] space-whales, stations, planets, alien-stuff, foreign designs, …