Is the AI fleet path-finding suicidal??

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I havnt done much testing yet, but I just have a couple of thoughts for you guys and the devs.
    -Do fleets take the shortest route from point A to point B?
    -Do fleets travel at the slowest ships speed?
    -Will the fleets attempt to navigate steller objects such as stars/wormholes or just go straight through them?? -If the sector is unloaded will they take damage/be sucked in by stars/wormholes/pirate stations:?

Also has anyone tried using fleets as auto-pilot to get around the universe:? Itd be pretty slow now but once the AI can use jump drives you can just set the cords and go afk while the ship takes a few thousand kms away.

Cheers!

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    -Yes
    -No, they all go their own speeds, until they're unloaded then they all go server max speed, or some fixed speed, can't really tell and I haven't bothered looking.
    -No, they go through them as far as I'm aware. No.

Yes, I'm doing it right now without even having any instance of the game open. All you have to do is align to a ship, make it a fleet, tell it to go somewhere, and log off. This is really useful for when you have to travel a long distance that you don't want to jump, but you can just call it a night and be there in the morning. This does get interrupted by server re-starts tho so bring jump equipment for when you do get on.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is no pathfinding, there is no fleet formation maintaining if you order them to go somewhere. They just go in a straight line and maybe navigate around stars or something. I reported both of these issues; hopefully they will actually be dealt with in a timely manner.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I can say with experience that your fleet will not pass up the opportunity to fly directly through the sun. Pathfinding definitely still needs a little work

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I find that fleets take the most illogical path they can possibly take. If you tell the fleet to move to a sector near a sun, you can count on them trying to fly through it. They also like to move in a serpentine motion whenever the destination is at an angle. I even had fleets leaving the system that the destination was in.

I have also found some noticeable quirks with fleets at the moment. Ships don't use power. I mean they don't at all. My Harbinger can be constantly moving whilst firing , without the slight drain on power that you would expect with it. Also, the fleet that I mentioned trying to pass through the sun... No power costs whatsoever. Still accelerates as fast as if it didn't have three quarters of it's power disabled. In addition to this, I find that ships can go from 135m/sec to 0m/sec in a half a second, which makes no sense, especially when you have a low thrust-to-mass ratio.

I feel like fleets need to have both improved pathfinding, and the same restrictions that a human player has as far as actually flying the ship goes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Phabricator

This thing is here for a reason. I already got the "smashing into things" bug, but you guys seem to have tested other things a lot more extensively... Report it here; it's the quickest and most efficient way to get the info to the devs.