Recognized by Council Increase Scanner Usability

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Back to the topic.

I was thinking scanners and jammers could be module controlled and have similar features to the weapons where you can cross connect/slave them to produce different effects. That brings me to the effect side. You could use the existing effects to convert your signals into something that could either be a weapon, scientific use or something else.

The modules could either be used to increase range, accuracy or whatever. Perhaps with the effects and weapons slaved it could make the pulse rate quicker as with slaving cannons or increase range by using some effect.

You could introduce new effects with a primary focus on scanning/jamming, but allow them to create new weapons etc with new combos.

I would actually like to see this in most of the technology provided in this game, so the players can come up with new and inventive uses for everything.
    +1 to this.

Scanner by its self could just be meh at everything, have mediocre range, average cool-down and information.
    Combining it with different effects:

BEAM:
    -Deep-Space scanner.
    Huge range, long cooldown, relativly detailed, large power consumption. Does not uncloak ships, but may indicate that they are in the vicinity. Indicates sectors where jumps have previously takes place (past5-10-20 minutes?) but does not say where to.

CANNON:
    -Warp Scanner.
    Short range, short cool down, low power requirements. Detailed information, uncloaks/jams ships at close range (potentially dependent on their jamming power vs your scanning power). Also reveals previous jumps that have occured in the sector (past 5-10 minutes?) and where too.

PULSE:
    -Gravaton wave Scanner.
    Unleashes a powerful short-mid range scan with extremly high cool-down and medium-to high power requirements.
    Marks all visible ships in its range (not cloaked or jammed) and will tell you the marked ships locations for 30 seconds/2 minutes etc (only marks mother entity, not chain docked entities).

MISSILE:
    -Combat Scanner.
    Only scans entities that are currently targeted (with the 'f' function). Provides user with shield recharge/power recharge/weapon types currently on their hotbar/jumpdive stats of the target AND notifys the target that they are being scanded.

There you go :)
    I think those are relativity balanced, each fufill different jobs and some have good synergy with each other and would all be worthwhile having on your ship.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You clearly missed the point.
    Clearly not. There is no griefing (non-consenting PVP) because you automatically consented to PVP when you joined the PVP server. Exploits are exploits, but they're not grief. In a game such as this where player interaction is controlled by servers and owners who set their own rules, you don't get griefers unless they deliberately and explicitly break the rules of the server, in which case your problem can be resolved.

Reaction score
    Clearly not. There is no griefing (non-consenting PVP) because you automatically consented to PVP when you joined the PVP server. Exploits are exploits, but they're not grief. In a game such as this where player interaction is controlled by servers and owners who set their own rules, you don't get griefers unless they deliberately and explicitly break the rules of the server, in which case your problem can be resolved.
    Why don't you try reading my original post next time, m8?

Giving scanners the range of "5 star systems" means that someone could scan every star system in a galaxy for other players with only 240 scans (an afternoon's work at most)

That part of the OP's suggestion is just way over the top, and completely ruins the legitimate "pvp" tactic of hiding one's base.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    That's not griefing, it's just a poor suggestion. Having your hidden base found isn't griefing, either.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I do agree SM could use a bit more things to help balance out legitimate PvP with outright griefing. Sadly that may not happen until Beta balance passes roll around.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I do agree SM could use a bit more things to help balance out legitimate PvP with outright griefing. Sadly that may not happen until Beta balance passes roll around.
    There is no such thing as griefing on a PvP server as long as it's not breaking the server's rules.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    There is no such thing as griefing on a PvP server as long as it's not breaking the server's rules.
    With all due respect I disagree quite strongly. Losing a few ships or even a base in an open battle is one thing but very few people on the receiving end of stunts akin to what Flying_Debris has been able to pull off with warheads recently (as amazing as it was) fun. Doubly so if done when they are logged off. Which honestly is more of a problem with the current faction system in general as its trying to encourage conflict in a game where building is a key focus yet takes time, things cannot be protected 24/7, and are still hard to replace even with shipyards. Unless its a home base but there's more than a few calling for that to go away as well since it means people 'just hide there'. I can't think of many who would enjoy logging in to find potentially weeks of work flushed down the drain due to a raid they had no chance to defend against and not being pissed.

If I make something and lose it in a straight up fight, well sucks to be me but at least I had a chance to actually do something about it. Trash my stuff when I'm gone and have exactly zero chance to do anything about it? Thats straight up griefing and should be treated as such far as Vanilla settings go since doing otherwise is a good way to run new blood off by effectively removing player agency. If people want to tweak things to be more difficult more power to them but Vanilla should be set up to appeal to the widest range of players possible not just the hardcore segment. Schine needs both the new players and their money to alive even if it the result is too 'soft' for some.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah it is a pain when something you've spend untold hours on is destroyed due to somebody else.
    What would you suggest to get around this kind of behavior JonasWalker?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    With all due respect I disagree quite strongly. Losing a few ships or even a base in an open battle is one thing but very few people on the receiving end of stunts akin to what Flying_Debris has been able to pull off with warheads recently (as amazing as it was) fun. Doubly so if done when they are logged off. Which honestly is more of a problem with the current faction system in general as its trying to encourage conflict in a game where building is a key focus yet takes time, things cannot be protected 24/7, and are still hard to replace even with shipyards. Unless its a home base but there's more than a few calling for that to go away as well since it means people 'just hide there'. I can't think of many who would enjoy logging in to find potentially weeks of work flushed down the drain due to a raid they had no chance to defend against and not being pissed.

If I make something and lose it in a straight up fight, well sucks to be me but at least I had a chance to actually do something about it. Trash my stuff when I'm gone and have exactly zero chance to do anything about it? Thats straight up griefing and should be treated as such far as Vanilla settings go since doing otherwise is a good way to run new blood off by effectively removing player agency. If people want to tweak things to be more difficult more power to them but Vanilla should be set up to appeal to the widest range of players possible not just the hardcore segment. Schine needs both the new players and their money to alive even if it the result is too 'soft' for some.
    Losing ships when you don't want to isn't griefing. A warhead rammer isn't griefing. You can call the act and the person doing it a litany of names but it's just not griefing.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Losing ships when you don't want to isn't griefing. A warhead rammer isn't griefing. You can call the act and the person doing it a litany of names but it's just not griefing.
    One thing I hate that is griefing is when chickens only attack when no one is around. Most servers require some kind of consent and if you aren't around you can't give it and therefor it is griefing. Warhead ramming in a fight you know is going to happen like you said isn't griefing, but doing it to avoid having to fight an enemy by not using a faction block is until the devs fix the issue.

Now if I walk onto a server where I've got to guard my stuff while I'm there or not I'll build my bases accordingly, that said there are things that are griefing no matter the rules. >_>

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Griefing is a new term for me, so I looked up the meaning of griefing using Google. And from the gist of the myriad of definitions out there, I gathered this.

Is my opinion and nothing more, this is what I understand from what I read.
    "It's pretty much a player of and on-line game that intentially goes out of there way to do something that results in reducing or ultimately destroying the gaming experience for another player. The ultimate goal is to cause the player on the receiving end grief, whether intentional or not. So, I guess we should really call the Pirates Griefers."

So, I guess the various examples that have been given would be considered griefing whether the server allows or or disallows the behaviours like attacking a players base while they're not at home, steeling their stuff or plain harassing them in other ways including on forums or other.

Here are URLs to my search results for you to look up.
    Google
    Urban Dictionary: griefing
    Urban Dictionary: griefer
    Griefer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tutorials/Griefing – Official Minecraft Wiki

And there are so many more.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    it should just be proportional to how big the scanner is

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What if you can adjust range in the scanner computer, and the further it goes it has less strength, therefore less chances of detecting entities.
    While adding more modules to the scanner increases its strength and max range.
    Also the radarjammer could also have the same features by jamming other entities within range with a certain strength.
    While adding more modules to the jammer also increases its strength and max range.

This is something i would love to play with.