Bug incompatible with AMD graphics cards

Reaction score
    i have got a new $1500 laptop with an intel i7 quad core and a nvidia geforce 840m graphics card. i can not updaye my intel graphics because this process is being covered by my geforce card. There for starmade wont run. anybody know if starmade only works with intel cards or is it compatible with my more advanced gpu.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is one of the most confusing threads I've ever seen. Title says AMD/ATI videocards. Body of the post says Nvidia and Intel videocards.

I play StarMade mostly on an i7 Laptop with dual video, Intergrated Intel HD (power saver) and Add-in Nvidia high powered videocard. When I play in windowed mode, it tries to use the Intel HD, which is what the desktop/windows explorer uses and StarMade barely runs if at all.

When I set StarMade to use full screen it uses the Nvidia card and I have no issues apart from the laptop overheating if I don't have it sitting on the laptop cooler.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    If you have an AMD card, you'll probably have a program called "switchable graphics", if you have a Nvidia one, you'll have something similar, maybe called "Nvidia Optimus".

Open whichever of these you have, and find "javaw.exe". You need to set this to run on your dedicated graphics card (high performance).

The second thing causing that crash is 32 bit java, or multiple installations of java. Uninstalling any java installations from control panel --> programs, then installing the 64 bit version typically fixes it. http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

It tells you to install two lots of java, both 32 and 64, but that is most likely going to prevent starmade running. Just get the 64 bit version.