Import player model with texture

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey everyone, I had an idea it would be to import three-dimensional model file (with limits), such as to create a exra-terrestrial race or another.

It would be great to play the role, I do not know if this is possible (it would download as a skin) and others see it.
    With an option in the faction tab for this skin (a faction would be an entire race!)

I do not know if it's possible, I put it as an idea and I hope so not bother you with my crazy ideas

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The game already does this, with the custom skins.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dont talk just a skin, but full 3d model with texture !

exemple import that with model and texture and other player see :

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (You want to use a Pony, don\'t you?)

The problem with models is that they would require a download from everyone. While this might not be an issue for some people, worse connections would could potentially take ages to do so. I guess as long as people are able to turn off downloading the models, it wouldn\'t be so bad. If the client can tell the server what size of a bounding box to use as the player\'s physics model (within reason, a .75x.75x.75 block size would probably be the smallest needed), then I guess I don\'t see any real issue with it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On steam for example modded servers automatically download after with an option such as downloading model sort, this would be just great and add a new dimension to the game!
    We would no longer just human, but when the game is fully optimized factions as race (mine is call ing and I dream to see her with this model above) This would add a side role play with the sandbox (so not really rules the thing) so it would be just great.

After a 3d model does not weigh very heavy for example my ship is 550 kb

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To address the last part first, your ship is small in filesize because its made of blocks. Each block already exists on every client\'s computer, fully textured and ready to go. The file, then, only has to list what blocks are at what coordinates, and with what rotation. This system is one of the big advantages to block-based building, and is one of the reasons why the same building style was used in Kingdom Hearts and Banjo-Kazooie:N&B. Notice that when you join a modded TF2 or CS:S server, there\'s a bit of waiting before you can play, due to all the models and textures being downloaded.

That being said, I had indeed forgotten that StarMade is on the Steam Greenlight. SteamWorks could certainly help out with a lot by allowing the models to be downloaded from higher speed servers rather than from each client independently. Not to mention the models used in this game are likely to be relatively small anyway, due to the lower graphics quality. The only thing the game server needs to keep track of is actual size of each player for collision calculation, which can be done by simply sending the dimentions of a box that would fully cover the model. With that in place, the only downside that players would get from not downloading a model is some clipping. So people that have slow connections could still play fine without downloading everyone else\'s models.

Additionally, when someone connects to a server, the standard model could be used until the correct one is downloaded for players that do have downloading enabled. Similar systems are used for Phantasy Star Online and All-Points Bulletin; a stand-in model exists until the actual model is ready.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes indeed, and for example, if an entire faction using this model it is already downloaded and therefore applicable.

I hope that this will be possible because it would add a lot to the game (above a faction ing pressure to fight to the death!).

Imagine the gameplay with this system =)

Reaction score
    As a person who likes modelling I think this option should be added
    Also I\'m obsessed with robots and there are not many games where you play as a humanoid or whatever shaped robot

Reaction score
    I\'ve done modeling and importing into things like the Source Engine and into Unity as well, and there\'s always problems that come along. If this were to be true, I think the game engine would have to restrict players on the amount of vertices they can have on their models, because incredibly detailed models do put a lot of stress, like sculpted ones. The other thing I can imagine is players just abusing the hell out of the system if they wanted to and were actually determined. (ex: making a model that\'s just a few lines with a large donut hole in the middle, making it impossible to hit unless using a predetermined hitbox for the model.

Another thing I think is that everyone has the capability to make models, but rigging and animating is one of those harder things. Maybe it\'s not as hard as I think it is, I\'ve just never been able to bring myself to do it (laziness :P) I just stick to modeling.

However, if schema did find a way to limit the amount of vertices, as well as abuse, this sounds like an idea that\'s unheard of as well as fascinating. I don\'t think any other game has been able to accomplish this, and it would truly be a feat.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But I worry more about uploading.

I upload 1 KB per second because of some server limit (afaik).

Each time I use (not change) my texture. For a 2D model!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You have to take into account the difficulties with the animation of the model. The model we have right now is fully animated, but would the game engine be able to do that with another model? Doubtful. I\'d like custom models just as much as the next person, but unfortunately that\'s probably not within the capabilities of the game. Who knows, maybe there will be a mod one day that changes the model clientside.