• I don't really care!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, we all have probably built some strange mining ship that has a chamber for asteroids. Or perhaps, we've all built a repair station. But then, we have a problem. That is, of course, that beams travel through their own ship, and keep on going for a kilometer or so, which isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing thing. So, how do I propose we fix this?

Make a block that will stop any beam that touches it from the same ship.

That's all, but I think that it could really improve a lot of ship designs.
    So, ideas, comments, praise, whatever, below and thank you for reading this text.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You can already use a docked entity as a stopper for beams ^_^

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not sure a new block is even necessary. Imagine: Having a block pointing the opposite direction. The beam is simply drawn between the two endpoints. Or maybe instead of relying on the direction of the block, have a third option for whether the block will be the start point of the ray, the end point, or the default, neither. Another end point selection method: slave a block to the endpoint beam emitter block.

Bonus point: If you can select a beam end point in addition to the start point, draw the beam between the start and end point, regardless of the angle, so you can draw the beam at any angle, depending on the position of the starting and ending blocks.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you can select a beam end point in addition to the start point, draw the beam between the start and end point, regardless of the angle, so you can draw the beam at any angle, depending on the position of the starting and ending blocks.
    Ooh, I like! I like the endpoint idea too.