[IDEA] Idea For A Faction Warfare Server

Reaction score
    So, over the past few days I have been playing PlanetSide2 and an idea hit me. What if we were to recreate this, to an extent, in StarMade.

A server where, instead of 3 random people joining, making a faction and playing for two days. A server where there is no "Pirate Station Maxed Out My Cash" situations, where the emphasis is on PVP player interaction, not aimless bragging about a 500m long ship that looks like a brick.

How Would This Be Achieved?

You would have to hand craft the map, giving each faction a base and fill the map with resources to fight over. Disabling blueprints completely will be a requirement to stop blueprint duping, forcing all players to collect the resources and deliver them to their home base to build ships. Shop modules will be fitted onto the a factions base, setup so that only the resident faction can use it. The handy thing about them is that an admin can edit them, so the home base will use the shop module as a sort of "PlexStorage" to stockpile the factions resources. This would work by having players go out and collect resources from mining, salvaging wrecks and looting abandoned stations and other things like that. The player would sell these items to the shop and the credits they get can be used as a sort of "requisition points". Customizing the cost of the items will be easy so that the "requisition points" received are fair. The faction bases are also to be fitted with extensive defense systems to deter attacks from the enemy. due to the fact that all resources have to be created, not found in shops, there is a need of a large factory setup, each kitted with a recipe for the basic resources like hull, engines and weapon systems. Leaving things like painting recipes to be bought at a players own expense. Things like paints and manufacturing components (all those computer chip things in the Manufacturing Tab) will be stocked by admins. This will work by the admins taking an amount of resources from the shop and placing the components as a trade off. But the final products such as salvage beams and weapons computers to be manufactured by the players.

But there's a problem. When all the resources have been spent and the system is just an empty husk, what happens then? Repopulating the sectors with resources is required, at weekly intervals (or however frequent the admin likes). A complete reset of all but the faction bases from a backed up world file. The reason that the faction bases are left untouched is so that people can safely dock their ships there without them being lost in a sector reset. The system should be littered with asteroid fields, husks of ships left adrift and abandoned stations to gather resources from. Pirates and the Trading Guild would need to be disabled, and the two shops at the home bases managed by the server admins to make sure it is stocked with money.

But how do you stop people making their own factions?

Simple. remove the faction and place them on the faction they were previously in. A player must state on a forum post or somewhere that they wish to join a server, they are whitelisted and added to the faction with the least members. They can also request a specific faction so that they can play with their friends, but if the teams are too unbalanced then the request should be denied. Any faction created is to be deleted and all members replaced into their previous factions.

Keeping the Map Balanced

A crucial aspect will be making sure that each teams section of the map they start with is given equal resources. To encourage combat, the midway sectors will be very rich in resources. Something to fight over. I have created an image to demonstrate what I mean. It is on a 2D plane, for the sake of simplicity.

Each side has equal resources but the middle is the most valuable, littered with rich asteroid fields and shipwrecks. Proximity to the star makes them dangerous as well. To stop people from being raped in a massive cluster fuck at the center of the map, all players who are added to the server are immediately teleported and spawnset to their respective faction base as soon as they join. Because of the lack of blueprints, there will be an actual demand to build and repair ships, as well as the need for ships designers with actual knowledge of power systems and how to make a good ship.

Why am I not doing this myself?

I'm 15 and have no money to purchase server hosting. So I am posting this in the hopes that someone makes their own version of this.

Reaction score
    It's a neat idea, but it seems to require an admin on 24/7.

Reaction score
    I think this idea isnt bad but @ first you always need an admin online and second the starmade universe is generic, so it has no end...its a bit difficult to control the resources etc...

Reaction score
    Astrocat
    A lot of the management aspects I mentioned can PROBABLY(not totally sure) be done by scripts. The teleporting is already posible with the starmade warper tool. And for restocking the shop, it doesn't need to be frequent just enough to keep the supplies topped up once every 2 or 3 days. And adding requisition points to the shops is a simple matter, and large sums can be dumped into them with little need to do it often.
    But sadly the requirement of an admin to do many of the things is the main downfall to the idea. Hopefully they make Bukkit for starmade so it can all be managed with plugins.

CodeBlack
    The whole starmade universe is not just one star system, there are an infinite amount of star systems. They are just very far away. between them is VERY large areas of empty space. Going to the next system would take a LONG time. And using a plugin like starmade warper, or if they do add server plugin support, to TP anyone too far out back to the base and give them some punishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    A lot of the management aspects I mentioned can PROBABLY(not totally sure) be done by scripts.
    But sadly the requirement of an admin to do many of the things is the main downfall to the idea. Hopefully they make Bukkit for starmade so it can all be managed with plugins.
    You're right, have you seen some of the more popular Minecraft servers? They're essentially new games made with blocks. I have no doubt that some people will come along and create those type of servers in Starmade, but as of now its impractical due to frequent updates and bugs.