Hyperspace core based FTL

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hyperspace cores - my proposal on FTL travel system and mechanics (please don't hate ;_; )
    - works similiar to shops (works when you fly to it)
    - rare to find in space
    - possible to mount on ships
    - requires power/fuel cells(items/ores/crystals/blocks)
    - size of hyperspace core determines max size of ship to be send somewhere
    - reloading cores needs time (both stationary and mounted)
    - bigger core needs !longer! reload
    - cores (both stationary and mounted) allow travel to other cores (less fuel) or to chosen coordinates (much more fuel)
    - cores mounted on ships works also as stationary ones for nearby ships (toggable IN SHIP MENU) but, you can't travell to ship which have hyperspace core mounted on it.
    - bigger transport need more "charging time" and fuel (while charging all of your systems are disabled)
    - expensive
    - possibility to build faction-owned stationary cores (or simply mount them on stations)
    - you can mount hyperspce cores ONLY on ships whose mass is beyond "citical mass" (could be some other fancy sci-fi reason. Changeable in config files.)

Yes, yes. But how do i mount it on my ship?
    Simple.
    - put a Hyperspace core controller (computer)
    - connect system blocks to it.
    DONE :)

(Also, i suggest linear type of group scaling for this system, maybe?..)

(reposted due to rollback)

Reactions: Borr
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I think that there should be no enchancer stuff. It will just need to be a single block that takes some kind of rare fuel and the block itself should be hard to craft (with the new crafting system that will be implemented).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I think enchancers should be a thing. Especially when linear type of group scaling will go in. That will ensure you that ship which is equipped with such device actually is partially composed of it.
    + it will determine easily max size of ship which can be send.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Yes but, do you agree on having a hyperspace device on your ship being very hard ?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    If you ment having a FTL device on my ship, then yes, but i've explained my idea of FTL in 1st post.
    Thou i think that just placing a computer on ship shouldn't give you ability to make jumps or travel in warpspace. It is too easy, even if such computer would be hard to get.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    If you ment having a FTL device on my ship, then yes, but i've explained my idea of FTL in 1st post.
    Thou i think that just placing a computer on ship shouldn't give you ability to make jumps or travel in warpspace. It is too easy, even if such computer would be hard to get.
    I said that that it would be hard to make or find and it would need a rare source of fuel.

AWZ

Reaction score
    In my opinion should hyperspace only available to bigger ships, a fighter which can fly through Galaxy in a couple of seconds is kind of strange.
    irrespective of the size of the ship, the core should need a minimum of Energy recharge e.g 500k per second.
    just my opinion

AWZ

Reaction score
    Yeah thats right and with my idea you can make those equipment ;)

Reaction score
    Doesn't the overdrive in passive allow for e pretty good high speed travel?
    It needs lots of power so in order to go really fast you would need a pretty high power cap.
    That means huge capital ships could carry a small docked fleet and carry it for 50 sectors in 4 minutes or so.

The only problem with that system would be that people would crash in stations, shops and asteroids and crash the server.
    But if ships that go over 1000 km/h would go into hyperspace and pass through objects than i think that fixes it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Doesn't the overdrive in passive allow for e pretty good high speed travel?
    It needs lots of power so in order to go really fast you would need a pretty high power cap.
    That means huge capital ships could carry a small docked fleet and carry it for 50 sectors in 4 minutes or so.

The only problem with that system would be that people would crash in stations, shops and asteroids and crash the server.
    But if ships that go over 1000 km/h would go into hyperspace and pass through objects than i think that fixes it.
    Moving faster than the game can load sectors also causes crashes. 1000km/h is a bit too much.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    karkinosz Thats why it could make an effect on your camera but instead of moving you would have that effect lets say for 5 mins when travelling 100 sectors and it would be also based on the mass of your ship. You won't move you will just dissapear from point A and travel to point B for a small or a big amount of time.
    Untitled.png
    PS:
    I hope my paint skills made you understand. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I understand TNT, but it seems you don't. Please reread what he said he wasn't talking about FTL at all but overdrive. You've kinda wasted your own time there. That and your idea is terrible, taking someone out of the game to look at a flashy FTL light show is utterly boring, a charge up time is preferred for example time = proportional to the number of FTL blocks in relation to total ship mass.

More exactly time = distance (km) *((total block numbers)/no. FTL blocks) then all divided by some value to make numbers more reasonable ~(easily put in config to allow servers to balance their own FTL.).
    How does this balance FTL? To jump requires either specialization or time. You can jump a titan 1000km using one block, it will simply take longer than the lifetime of every star in the universe to make that jump.

TNT just a note but you should only use distance and not number of sectors to balance FTL since sectors are cubes and if you jump from 0 0 0 to say 15 15 0 you are going to be travelling diagonally in some cases meaning to traverse a sector takes MORE than 2km per sector

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Anyway :
    I think that there should be no enchancer stuff. It will just need to be a single block that takes some kind of a very rare source of fuel and the block itself should be very hard to craft (with the new crafting system that will be implemented).
    Also in servers with faction wars there should be one type of planet thats rare and has the fuel for the FTL that will make faction wars more strategic and will add lots of tactics. If your ships have FTL and overdrives that will give you an advantage against your enemy who dosen't have those. I know i'm adding faction wars to this but it somehow it connects.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    About the overdrives you could travel very fast with no-collision so you will not crash into anything.
    About travelling over 1000 kmph and loading sectors faster than it could possible load them, i have no idea how that would work.
    We will see how FTLs and other stuff work after the Crafting Update comes out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Actually, listen guys.
    Idea that I've described doesn't allow you to cover huge distances by just travelling in space, like overdrive. It would work more like long-range teleport of some sort. You'd have to use stationary core or one that you've mounted on your ship, then wait some time for it to charge (bigger ship, longer charge time) and just... teleport. Like in homewold, at least it is the way I see it.

Something like this:

Reactions: Equilibrium21
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    More exactly time = distance (km) *((total block numbers)/no. FTL blocks) then all divided by some value to make numbers more reasonable ~(easily put in config to allow servers to balance their own FTL.).
    How does this balance FTL? To jump requires either specialization or time. You can jump a titan 1000km using one block, it will simply take longer than the lifetime of every star in the universe to make that jump.
    That's what I suggested in determining jump time (jump aka teleporting since any FTL will be just creative use of what we already have)
    distance*(total blocks/no of ftl blocks) then all divided by something (this is set in config) = time.

Dark i was pretty much telling TNT his FTL method was impractical and something similar to NASS's !fold command is probably what we could expect (except it actually would work and be far more fleshed out) to be used for FTL.

Ie you want to jump 50km in your 4000 block ship that has say 50 FTL blocks. 50*(4000/50)= 4000. which is divided by something magical in the config (a number like 1000 or 500) using 500 as an example takes 8 seconds. Except you'd probably want it to take longer... which is why we have a value in the config in this idea.

Probably could even add a part that means HIGHER MASS as well as proportion of FTL blocks in the ship affects jump charge time, you can add this as a linear +mass*(another config value)

so now its time = (distance*(total block count/FTL block count))/config value A + mass*(config value B)

So all in all the larger value A is the shorter the jump recharge time. If B is larger however that increases the jump time, or it can be set to 0 so all masses of ships jump the same.

This allows for a good amount of customization and doesn't result in having to spam power tanks or power and instead means that if two ships have the same % ftl blocks (ignoring mass offset) they'll take the same time to jump.

Other things that could be used.
    - Set power amount to jump. (if you want to limit super small ships from jumping)
    - you could change the +mass*(config value b) to be +(value b/mass) so that you can actually use value B to make large ships take even less time to jump. (Just make value B really large so small ships get a large addon and high mass ships the opposite.)

EDIT: This just balances charge time and distance travelled (with possible adjustments based on mass) In case anyone doesn't want to read it all.

The core idea is pretty cool. And just imagine this a for second. Some ancient alien race has a planet sized hyperspace core somewhere (which naturally generates).... yeah.

EDIT2: WAIT WE DON'T NEED WORMHOLES! ALIENS HAVE ALREADY MADE US SWEET SWEET FTL! (FTL hypercore planets link together to make a natural supergate system hub while having smaller FTL gates made by players link to the big nodes and to closer recievers (since you want the shortest jump possible going straight to the nearest Hub planet might not be ideal.)
    I want a cookie for solving the FTL problem :D.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dark_Inquisitor