How to set up a small server?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I just want to host a server for a friend to join and help build from time to time. I used to be able to do this, but with the new menus I can't see a way to make my personal game show up online. When I click on dedicated server (which is not really what I'm going for) it just pops up a server window that is totally blank. Can anyone tell me where the button is to make my personal game visible online? Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Try using the command file corresponding to your OS in the Starmade directory (for windows: StarMade-dedicated-server-windows.bat) then connect your client to localhost:4242. For friends joining it you may have to set a port-forward for it on your router. (I'm doing it this way because I can't launch the client and the dedicated server at the same time with steam @.@)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm scratching my head as to why it seems more difficult to create an online server now than it was before the improved menus. Where's the "easy button?"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I don't recall there ever being an "easy" button for servers. I've always had to launch the dedicated server shell script, kill it, tweak some things in the server's .CFG file, and then launch the shell script again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't remember doing anything more than making players enter a password and hitting play. Granted, its been close to a year since the last time I invited players to join my personal game.