How to make a suggestion-General tips

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    O-K first, check if there is already a thread for that idea, this way we don't have repeats(FTL is a big repeat offender), good, got that? Lets get started...

1. Think about what this thing does, and, more importantly, why it's needed.

2. Why would I use this block? Ask this through-out.

3. Think about balance, think about ways to exploit this new system. What cons does this have over current blocks/items? What pros?

4. If it affects the core game, ask yourself if it limits players, if the
    answer is yes, change it so it doesn't. Schema does not want to limit players.

and finally...

5. Is it fun? Any kind of fun... even 'Fun'.

Finally, don't expect everyone to be "nice". Indeed, expect the opposite. Don't be a wimp, and don't cry about it. If you think someone is being "mean" don't cry about it, don't put them on an ignore list. Buck up, and deal with it!!!

Any mod... if you like this, could you sticky it?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    YES. PLEASE. Everybody needs to view this before posting a suggestion. No more " hur dur !WARPDRIVE! hur dur"

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    6. How to use the search function
    7. When to make a new thread and when to make just a post in an existing (do you want to bump the idea or split posts into multiple threads for same topic?
    8. USE PARAGRAPHS and proper formatting

Anyone agrees with me? ;)

Reactions: z1967 and Vyor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    6. How to use the search function
    7. When to make a new thread and when to make just a post in an existing (do you want to bump the idea or split posts into multiple threads for same topic?
    8. USE PARAGRAPHS and proper formatting

Anyone agrees with me? ;)
    That is what the big red text at the top is supposed to convey :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So, now what?

O-K, so you posted your suggestion... now people will try to poke holes in it... in every way they can. They will try to tear your idea down. Everything is fair game, nothing is off topic(when it relates to flaws in your idea) What you need to do is convince them that your idea will work. If you can convince them, you might be able to convince schema, calibri, or some other dev...

O-K, so everyone likes your idea, and you are wondering when it will be added to the game? The answer is it might not be. There could be technical issues, engine limits, or schema/calibri/some dev just doesn't like your idea, and don't want it in the game, or they just don't want to code it. There is nothing you can do. Sometimes the devs just have a certain vision for their game and your idea, no matter how well crafted, doesn't fit. Come up with either a new way to do it, or come up with something else.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There could be technical issues, engine limits, or schema/calibri/some dev just doesn't like your idea, and don't want it in the game, or they just don't want to code it. There is nothing you can do.
    Not a valid excuse, except for technical and engine limits :p

The devs/mods do want the game to be played by many ppls, right?
    Why not make the game as variable as possible?

You can code most things yourself and look here [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/schine/ ] to adjust it to work with shine (though it might be a bit outdated 2011-11-18)

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Not a valid excuse, except for technical and engine limits :p

The devs/mods do want the game to be played by many ppls, right?
    They might not like the suggestion... it is their game...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And why not make the game as variable as possible?
    If it brings money?

I mean: We either get clone and some paint/gimp-tools for our ships ingame or ppls will go away to another game which has it (if it has some basic qualities) - just for example.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    And why not make the game as variable as possible?
    If it brings money?

I mean: We either get clone and some paint/gimp-tools for our ships ingame or ppls will go away to another game which has it (if it has some basic qualities) - just for example.
    Umm... ok... what the hell are you talking about?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm not trying to promote trolling but isn't that exactly what this thread does?

your basically saying that if someone has said it once, or anything remotely similar, you should shut up and go away!!!!!! your telling others its totally acceptable to derail and stop all communication of ideas flowing, just because someone else said it, on this and the original forums? that sounds rather childish and immature to me. the old forums are going to be unavailable eventually, and your saying its OK to stop people from not moving on from it. there are far better ways to point this out than being rude about it. and you guys are not doing that at all, I find this sad and i refuse to even talk to you anymore. my ignore list is going to get huge now.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm not trying to promote trolling but isn't that exactly what this thread does?

your basically saying that if someone has said it once, or anything remotely similar, you should shut up and go away!!!!!! your telling others its totally acceptable to derail and stop all communication of ideas flowing, just because someone else said it, on this and the original forums? that sounds rather childish and immature to me. the old forums are going to be unavailable eventually, and your saying its OK to stop people from not moving on from it. there are far better ways to point this out than being rude about it. and you guys are not doing that at all, I find this sad and i refuse to even talk to you anymore. my ignore list is going to get huge now.

I'm sorry... but what? WTF!?!? No, I said to not post REPEAT SUGGESTIONS! If it's in the last 2 pages, don't make a new thread. Simple. Learn some reading comprehension, toughen up, and stop crying! Maybe learn some common sense while you're at it.

Reactions: ltmauve

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No more " hur dur !WARPDRIVE! hur dur"
    I agree, but not because it's a repeat suggestion. Only because the devs have definitively stated that some form or forms of FTL travel will be implemented. (Hopefully, but sadly probably not, warp drive.)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    If it's been confirmed in one place or another, it has no place in the suggestions forum, because it's already happening.
    If it's directly at odds with the intended direction of the game (ie: incompatible with the to-do list), I very much advise you to not post it.
    If people don't respond, then obviously nobody cares.

Reaction score
    Hopefully no moderator swoops in and steals all these excellent, authoritative guidelines about posting suggestions and repeats them in a brand new post!

T'would be a red-text travesty!

Any mod, if you like this... could you sticky-finger it?

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Vyor, please don't bump your topics, either they live when there is public interest, or they die down if there isn't.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i think one thing that needs to be said is the following.

WE KNOW!!!!!!! this has been discussed on the old site. you do not need to troll by pointing this out!!!!!! the old site is dead please move on!!! and morn its passing properly it is also going to be inaccessible soon so stop bringing it up! it has been killed by the one we have now it is far and about time to move on.

if you are allowed to point it out rudely, we should be allowed to call you out as well and say you are being rude!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    i think one thing that needs to be said is the following.

WE KNOW!!!!!!! this has been discussed on the old site. you do not need to troll by pointing this out!!!!!! the old site is dead please move on!!! and morn its passing properly it is also going to be inaccessible soon so stop bringing it up! it has been killed by the one we have now it is far and about time to move on.

if you are allowed to point it out rudely, we should be allowed to call you out as well and say you are being rude!
    I'm sorry that basic rules offend you.