How much damage can a missile take now?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm looking to add anti-missile turrets to a ship I'm building. I know that Schema hasn't incorporated it into the AI yet, but I want to plan out the space for the turrets in advance. Does anyone know how much damage you have to do to a missile to destroy it now that it has a hit box?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One hit with the lowest amount of damage is enough currently. Something like a hp system still needs to be implemented.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I'm looking to add anti-missile turrets to a ship I'm building. I know that Schema hasn't incorporated it into the AI yet
    as of .1723 AI has the option to target missiles.

As it stands now, only one shot is needed to take out a missile. A cannon-cannon combo with one block each is the most efficient method in dealing with missiles.

Reaction score
    Well I hope the intent is for a hp system to address this, because it makes it ridiculously easy to shield from missiles.

Does anyone know what sort of accuracy can be expected from the anti-missile turret?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Server config will decide the accuracy of AI weapons.

A default config has very high accuracy

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well I hope the intent is for a hp system to address this, because it makes it ridiculously easy to shield from missiles.

Does anyone know what sort of accuracy can be expected from the anti-missile turret?
    If set to high then the missiles become impossible to destroy and it's the same problem all over again. The system isn't infallible, turrets take time to rotate and covering every blind spot is hard. We'll really have to see the system tested in full combat before anything gets adjusted. Right now the only trouble I have with the system is spawned AI ships don't know how to use the anti missile turrets I've given them so my tests are limited in the regards but when I spawned a wave of Isanth Type-Zero Mb they have no problem overwhelming my missile defenses. I also hope for more AI options as I have turrets which would be great for double duty but I might not want to waste them solely on missiles.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Basing missile hp on their damage would be nice.

Reaction score
    as of .1723 AI has the option to target missiles.

As it stands now, only one shot is needed to take out a missile. A cannon-cannon combo with one block each is the most efficient method in dealing with missiles.
    Wait - "cannon-cannon" and not a beam weapon?

Reaction score
    Yes. Schema routinely mistakes lasers and cannons. Whenever he says "laser" he really means cannon.
    Oh my. That's going to make the AI accuracy problem worse - slower rate of fire and slower projectile rather than instant beam (do we just use a large group of tiny "cannon-cannon" weapons and hope one of the 4 thousand projectiles hits the missile before it's too late?).

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Oh my. That's going to make the AI accuracy problem worse - slower rate of fire and slower projectile rather than instant beam (do we just use a large group of tiny "cannon-cannon" weapons and hope one of the 4 thousand projectiles hits the missile before it's too late?).
    Honestly? I haven't had a problem so far. If you're relying on one turret to defend you from 30+ missiles you're going to have a bad time but if you have decent coverage on your ship the cannons work pretty well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I think single HP missiles are a good idea honestly. I can't imagine a projectile that's meant to explode when impacted having a tough exterior tank shots from anti-missile turrets. The way I see it, turrets being forced to have their own standalone shields, and not the parent ship forces you to just disable the turrets before employing missiles. Which is very doable. Either you'll have a few large heavily shielded turrets that can't completely take on large barrages of cluster missiles or multiple enemies, or lots of tiny turrets that can handle large quantities but are easily taken out (provided the enemy ship doesn't wreck you first).

Pretty balanced deal if you ask me. I think theoretically this will make for an interesting meta game.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think single HP missiles are a good idea honestly. I can't imagine a projectile that's meant to explode when impacted having a tough exterior tank shots from anti-missile turrets. The way I see it, turrets being forced to have their own standalone shields, and not the parent ship forces you to just disable the turrets before employing missiles. Which is very doable. Either you'll have a few large heavily shielded turrets that can't completely take on large barrages of cluster missiles or multiple enemies, or lots of tiny turrets that can handle large quantities but are easily taken out (provided the enemy ship doesn't wreck you first).

Pretty balanced deal if you ask me. I think theoretically this will make for an interesting meta game.
    Currently missiles are the best thing for taking out turrets. There is a bug that makes missiles do significantly more damage in a much larger radius to anything they don't hit directly. I've seen a single missile destroy every turret on ship before.

I do agree it does feel pretty balanced in my tests so far I've opted for the small turret approach and it only takes a single missile to get through and my defense is gone. Missiles are extremely deadly (as they should be) and the system is not infallible while still being good.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm, now it's time for the Avar-Kiaan's leetle cannon turrets to do what they're supposed to do... :P

...However, I feel that large swarm missile arrays are still OP'd.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!

I like the idea of single-hit point missiles, as well. Perhaps they could add a slower moving "torpedo" that offers armor if someone wants missile survivability...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the idea of single-hit point missiles, as well. Perhaps they could add a slower moving "torpedo" that offers armor if someone wants missile survivability...
    If that were the case you could just give each missile sub type different HP values. the Sniper missile has 1 hp but the Hulk has more.

Reaction score
    If that were the case you could just give each missile sub type different HP values. the Sniper missile has 1 hp but the Hulk has more.
    Doesn't scale at all, though. Then we would just use the exact number of damage for different missile types. I would prefer if Missile HP was a multiplier of damage, and then you could apply a specific multiplier for each missile type, all in the config.
    (The multiplier would probably be set to a decimal; i.e. 0.2 if it should be 2/10ths of damage, then 2x for Hulk for 2/5 HP of damage. More HP than damage would be silly IMO. Don't mind the numbers, that's just an example.)

Reaction score
    I'd prefer if rather than a standard HP method they went off a number of time actually struck regardless of damage and that the number of times they could be struck would scale off of the speed of the missile. This way those REALLY slow single missiles have a small chance (maybe 2-3 hits instead of 1) of making it through to do damage and the really fast ones only get one or so hits since they will naturally have an easier time making it to the target.