How Do I calculate power used by weapon effects?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anybody know how to calculate power used by the effect modules? The wiki has enough information to calculate power consumption and damage for weapon -weapon linking but not for the effect modules e.g. I have a 50 cannon group linked with 25 beams and 10 ion modules? I want to know damage per shot, damage per second, energy per second, and energy per shot.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If you build a turret with the primary, secondary and tertiary computers and modules you want to use, it will give you a listing of the energy used per shot. Not sure if damage is indicated for secondary and tertiary stuff though, but I know power usage is there.

Sadly the wiki got borked a while back and is still not back to its former glory.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you build a turret with the primary, secondary and tertiary computers and modules you want to use, it will give you a listing of the energy used per shot. Not sure if damage is indicated for secondary and tertiary stuff though, but I know power usage is there.

Sadly the wiki got borked a while back and is still not back to its former glory.
    This I know, but if I want all this information a priori for engineering purposes how would I calculate it? I can build my turret and read off the information but I see this a a lot of trial and error before I get a design that fits my ship/needs.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    This I know, but if I want all this information a priori for engineering purposes how would I calculate it? I can build my turret and read off the information but I see this a a lot of trial and error before I get a design that fits my ship/needs.
    That I don't know. However, it is possible to access the wiki from before it was damaged.

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

Go to the wiki: Starmadepedia - The Official StarMade Wiki

Search for the modules you want to research. Then copy and paste the address into the wayback machine linked above.

Results: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Click on one of the 2015 links. I chose the April 15th, 2015 link: Ion Effect Computer - StarMade Wiki

That page shows what information was available for much of the time.

All I can offer, sadly.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Energy usage is generally 10 per 1 base damage - or, rather, 100 per second per block average.
    Multiply by reload time to get base energy consumption per shot.

For every extra output, add +10% base energy consumption.

For instance, a cannon that deals 10,000 damage will take 100,000 energy to fire at 100,000 energy per second.
    Two cannons that deal 5,000 damage each will take 110,000 energy to fire and 110,000 energy per second.
    Three outputs at 3333 damage take 120k, and so on and so forth.

I have heard that missiles have a lesser energy penalty, at 2.5% extra per output, but I have not personally verified this.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have heard that missiles have a lesser energy penalty, at 2.5% extra per output, but I have not personally verified this
    This is definitely true, have just confirmed it now. It's also relevant to note that, because they're nigh-unusable, schema had the courtesy to remove the group penalty entirely from Damage Pulse.

In addition to what Aze said, another way to look at this (especially using data from the wiki) is that effect modules just add to the effective block count for a weapon, which is then multiplied by the per-module costs for that weapon combination (damage and power consumption). Effect modifiers (where the damage output goes) are applied afterwards (this includes overdrive's damage/power cost increases).

I'm working to update the wiki as we speak, and will try to make this part of weapon calculations clearer, as well as providing proper numbers for offensive effects on their main page.