Read by Schine How about repairing what is broken in the game first?

Is it time to tidy up or just keep adding new stuff ?

• Tidy and repair the broken stuff/bugs before moving on.

Votes: 5 33.3%
    • Lets add loads of new stuff and who cares what happens to the old.

Votes: 10 66.7%
    • Couldn't care less either way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A fantastic game.
    Thank you, but...

How about repairing the broken items first (stop adding new until you fix the old)?
    Loads of game glitches, bugs and server crashes.
    Fix them, search out all the bug lists and fix them, old and new ones.
    For instance, wireless blocks disconnect on server restart.

Planets sometimes taking an age to draw. Optimise the gfx engine more.

Looking in the console, loads of spelling mistakes and unclear info, tidy it up and provide more info for admins.

The remote admin tool, error (null pointer) on start and once an item is selected all the other items become invisible. The tool could be super useful to an admin without the need for a graphic hungry engine.

New additions to the game have no real tutorials and where are the necessary instructions for admins to cope with it.

The /shutdown command sometimes resets a server and sometimes does not. What gives? Where are the commands to actually shutdown or to restart? Why does the game not have a proper watchdog facility to see if the server is broken, looping uselessly or running fine? We need the ability to auto restart the server on failure (it also should be a toggle not always ON).

Alpha is all well and good, and I know that StarMade is a great toy box, but time to tidy up the toys to see the mess thats left.

I am running a server on theSmelter. It is of great enjoyment but let down by poor tools and implementation of what is there (ever tried actually using /jump or trying to move around using sector co-ords). Admins should be able to move through blocks if they wish (option in config but does not work).

Last, but not really, am sure there is much I have missed. Memory needs for the server. My server is starting to use memory as though it is water and therefore freely available. I pay for my server needs and it is certainly not free. Over 2.5 gigs needed for less than 20 people???? Optimise the memory usage and shrink it. Elite (the original) had a whole universe in less than 1 meg (not Gigs). What ever happened to programming ? Java code and SQL are no comparison to actual machine code programming. Am not sure if anyone can even do this anymore.

This is a great game, but it could be a fantastic one.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Alpha is the age of adding content.... Beta is the age of repairing content....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    to be a little less confrontational than the previous response let me please put this as the maker of the game has.

first of all directly quoting Scheema, "If I stopped developing the game entirely to fix and eliminate every single bug, the game would never have anything new as the fixed bugs will produce new ones."

so please take this into consideration when you make small one sided and small minded arguments like this. the ones doing the work are and will continue to do what is necessary to make the game better regardless of any of our opinions please see their side before telling them how to do it.

Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    to be a little less confrontational than the previous response let me please put this as the maker of the game has.

first of all directly quoting Scheema, "If I stopped developing the game entirely to fix and eliminate every single bug, the game would never have anything new as the fixed bugs will produce new ones."

so please take this into consideration when you make small one sided and small minded arguments like this. the ones doing the work are and will continue to do what is necessary to make the game better regardless of any of our opinions please see their side before telling them how to do it.
    You have a point there, but I think the people begging for new content also have some influence on development.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It's worth remembering that we all want StarMade to be the best game it can be. I think when threads come up about pointing at what the development focus is at the moment and points to something else saying that should be focus instead, there's a tendency for people to forget that the whole development team isn't working on one sole thing. We all have roles and responsibilities and our own parts of the game we're working on. So it's not one or the other when it comes to new features and bug fixing, as some people's jobs are to chase the bugs and get them fixed, others it is to work on the new features. While we can become more focused on a particular game breaking issue, generally speaking there's a level of independence between the teams. However the above quote from schema is right in that we can't put everything on hold for all of us to go into bug fixing mode, as then no new features would be added and any bugs we fix might appear again once we start adding features again.

So we're not neglecting either, both are happening at the same time because the team structures allow for that. Yes there might be some glaring issues, but there may be some similar to all the issues with docking, we held off on all the bug fixing with that because we knew we were going to be overhauling the whole thing with a new system anyway.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If Shema sets aside a development cycle or two in order to KO a bunch of bugs (definitely should not be longer than that), I think it should be after adding content like the Shipyard update, movable cores, and the fauna system which will fix peeves that a lot of people have with the current state of the game (lack of repair function, odd ship design process, and lack of anything to do outside of ships, respectively).

That said, if Schema decides that taking one full development cycle (isn't it about two weeks?) to fix several of the more annoying bugs, I'm all for it. If not, that's fine too. A lot of bugs are put off because the bugged features or code will be replaced with something better.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    If Shema sets aside a development cycle or two in order to KO a bunch of bugs (definitely should not be longer than that), I think it should be after adding content like the Shipyard update, movable cores, and the fauna system which will fix peeves that a lot of people have with the current state of the game (lack of repair function, odd ship design process, and lack of anything to do outside of ships, respectively).

That said, if Schema decides that taking one full development cycle (isn't it about two weeks?) to fix several of the more annoying bugs, I'm all for it. If not, that's fine too. A lot of bugs are put off because the bugged features or code will be replaced with something better.
    Generally there's performance and balance fixes as part of the cycles after a new release, think what happened after GUI update. However with the team larger than it was during that period, this is kinda happening in the background while new features are still worked on.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Generally there's performance and balance fixes as part of the cycles after a new release, think what happened after GUI update. However with the team larger than it was during that period, this is kinda happening in the background while new features are still worked on.
    Well there you go, RandomEvent .

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments.

I did not write my comment in anger, but I did write in such a way it would likely create a response.
    This is a game that I can see has you guys putting in your heart and souls.
    As a person sitting outside of the developement ring I can only comment on what I see, not what you see.

My age stretches me back to being a teen when arcades first started with Asteroids, Pac-Man and Pong and allows me to reflect on over 35 years of computer game playing.

Indie developers like yourself deserve a lot of respect.

Starmade has rekindled a fire in me that modern games rarely do.
    We may not always get what we want, but at least you listen to what we say.
    I like that you listen.

Please do not take offense and I really wish you well in your endeavours.

Thank you for such a fun game.