Hotbar or Core Umbilical function

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hi Schine Devs,

Could it be possible to build some kind of umbilical feature for the hotbar, where we can control docked entities from other entities in either direction.

To give you an example, I have a Freighter I've built that is completely modular.
    My original design was around an engineering section as the core for propulsion, power, shields, etc.
    I have multi-purpose cargo modules that I dock at the rear of the engineering section.
    For window dressing, I have some fake engine modules that attach to the sides of the engineering section and/or rear of cargo modules depending on what I'm doing.
    The forward section is a separate ship docked to the forward hatch of the engineering section. This is also window dressing and does not fly the whole ship since I have to enter the core of the engineering section to do this.

Ideally, it would be cool if I could control all the flight functions for the engineering section while in the core of the forward section.

I thought it would be cool if I could cycle through all the hotbars of each docked core, to control different functions, e.g.

• Eject cargo modules by disengaging the docker, to reduce weight for escape during crisis or something.
    • Operate switches in the hotbar for logic controlled machines in different sections, like gun turrets, doors, lights, effects or whatever.
    • Manual control of turrets. Although, a crew manning these positions would be more logical. Including each section.
    • Visibility of the recharge status/feedback of cannon/missile turrets or anything else that has feedback.
    Essentially, I'm wanting remote control of each or a select few docked entities from another entity in the chain.

Perhaps an umbilical block, that is paired the same way the wireless block is. But this block is connected to the core, to remotely control it and pass on features/feedback etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is the wireless remote block-- but that'll activate any block it's attached to, even if it's in different sectors... but actually I'd like to see this too. It would allow a better method of telling a station with a complex rail system in enclosed spaces for docking and undocking.... or for having a shipyard extend a docking arm, like Schine showed in the shipyard video (the fact this couldn't be automated made me quite sad... tried attaching logic to both the anchor and the computer, and nothing happened :(-- there was is no way to tell if an entity has docked with a shipyard via logic).

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    From what experiments I've conducted in the past, I found the wireless block didn't work across sectors. If this is working now, sweet....! :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    From what experiments I've conducted in the past, I found the wireless block didn't work across sectors. If this is working now, sweet....! :)
    Well.. I haven't tested it TBH. It might only work if there are active players in both sectors.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, I just want the ability to fire core beams from a docked entity back... One of the last few updates broke it. >.>

Wireless logic is great, but yeah, we need a solution that allows for 'universal' control, i.e. not keyed to specific ships... I shouldn't have to connect a new wireless logic block to a node just so I can reverse some rails and undock my shuttle.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well.. I haven't tested it TBH. It might only work if there are active players in both sectors.
    I built a remote controlled ship that used push and pull effect for propulsion and I sent it off thinking I could easily deactivate it with my remote. Sadly, no.

I did find that I can happily remote control from anywhere within a sector, but as soon as it crosses the threshold of 300 or so blocks, it's out of range. That's what I read is between each sector.

Anyway, the other thing I have learned is, that if I move into the next sector I have control again.

I've conducted many logic and physics experiments in Starmade, and although limited in many ways it has been fun finding work arounds. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441228187,1441227929][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I built a remote controlled ship that used push and pull effect for propulsion and I sent it off thinking I could easily deactivate it with my remote. Sadly, no.

I did find that I can happily remote control from anywhere within a sector, but as soon as it crosses the threshold of 300 or so blocks, it's out of range. That's what I read is between each sector.

Anyway, the other thing I have learned is, that if I move into the next sector I have control again.

I've conducted many logic and physics experiments in Starmade, and although limited in many ways it has been fun finding work arounds. :)
    Oh wait, maybe that 300 blocks was the size of the sectors. Hm.... I forget.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441228305][/DOUBLEPOST]At the moment, the only work around I have is wireless logic.
    When I dock anything, I have to manually connect the wireless logic.
    This allows me to remotely control most things, but it doesn't give me any feedback.