Hologram Module (Decorative block)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Holograms? What for?

Breakoff mechanics are probably going to be the default in the future, let's not kid ourselves.
    Sure, we can build all kinds of fancy floaty stuff, but it'll be rendered obsolete as it will literally fall apart once that update rolls around.
    After there was some discussion chat about breakoff yesterday, I decided to think on ways around it. And I've found it. Not only that, but I think it has the potential to be more than just decoration, too, while not taking away from breakoff!

How it works
    • A hologram module can take a blueprint, design, or can be built on.

• When activated, the module will show the design as a hologram.

• Since the hologram is not real, break-off mechanics would not apply.

Possible issues
    • Break-off could be enabled in shipyard build mode, invalidating the idea of making designs like this in a shipyard.
      POSSIBLE SOLUTION: It's better not to have to worry about break-off when building ships, so I'd like to suggest shipyard build mode to be exempt from these mechanics in general. Imagine removing the wrong block and half of your ship is gone! No thank you. Besides, I have offered other alternatives.

• Holograms could be used to trick people into thinking there's a wall somewhere if there isn't, a titan where there's only a fighter, etc.
      POSSIBLE SOLUTION: This could be a problem. Inherently, tricking hostiles like this can be neat but it would be a good idea to at least make holograms have a power requirement or make them have mass. Alternatively, make all blocks displayed by a hologram module transparent so there can be no mistake.

• A power cost would actively discourage using these!
      POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Not if they're opaque. This would give the advantage of tricking an opponent, which is balanced by the power cost. If they're translucent (and therefore clearly a hologram) it would be balanced in and of itself. No power cost would be needed.

• Making them have mass would actively discourage using these!
      POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Maybe, but small-scale tricks and diversions would still be possible, and large ships don't really care about mass anyway so a few decorative uses here and there might pop up anyway.

Advantages
    1. As holograms should be pass-through, this allows more freedom with interior design.

2. If holograms are opaque instead of transparent, they can be used for nifty tricks like covering up secret hallways or making a ship appear more imposing than it really is for a short period of time, adding more diversity to combat and boarding.

3. It would allow a way around break-off mechanics without affecting the mechanic itself, seeing as holograms wouldn't add anything to the ship in terms or shields/power/weapons. This freedom would be much appreciated by builders.

4. FLOATY STUFF. I mean, seriously, what's not to like?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's a lot simpler to just not count parts of a ship built detached as a part to break off. Only parts of the ship detached from other parts of a ship by weapons fire should be broken off... If there's a 'dispute' between parts (e.g. because they are both floating already) just take off the smaller part and leave the larger one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's a lot simpler to just not count parts of a ship built detached as a part to break off. Only parts of the ship detached from other parts of a ship by weapons fire should be broken off... If there's a 'dispute' between parts (e.g. because they are both floating already) just take off the smaller part and leave the larger one.
    Fair enough, but as I said, it's a larger suggestion than that. Using holograms offensively or defensively besides decoratively is also possible.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Holograms to make fake ships and whatnot sounds cool for a mod or maybe later on, but not a very critical feature.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    You can also use area triggers (which don't count during collision checks as blocks)

Reaction score
    This could have applications for the use in faction home bases. You could use a map or something to show which star systems that a faction controls. Additionally, you could use the same map to show where enemy factions would be located if their systems were known.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Fair enough, but as I said, it's a larger suggestion than that. Using holograms offensively or defensively besides decoratively is also possible.
    Yeah if 50% of your ship is hologram modules you can disguise yourself in a planet :p or whale