Read by Council Hazardous materials and Hazardous Material Storage

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In the future, rare resources may come into play. It would be fun and challenging if some such resources were also highly volatile and hazardous. This would provide additional challenges when handling and transporting these materials.

Hazards might include:
    1. Poison/damage over time on contact with the material
    2. Slow radiation damage when close to the material
    3. Instant damage on contact with the material
    4. Explodes if shot or bumped
    5. Explodes if stepped on (YIKES!)
    6. Might just explode randomly for no reason, but there's only a small chance this will happen. (Might be too annoying.)
    This wouldn't just be one material - these are ideas for different materials with a similar theme.

To transport such materials, special containers would be required. These could function like standard cargo containers with some exceptions.
    • Less space-efficient. You don't want to cram and stuff something dangerous the way you would a bag of pillows.
    • Can only carry one type of material at a time. If you think nitroglycerine is dangerous, try transporting it in the same box as white phosphorus! It just makes sense to keep them separate even if we're talking about fictional materials.
    • Volatile - filled storage blocks may explode if shot or banged. The strength of the explosion depends on the material inside and perhaps how many filled containers are in a group. Grouping effects will encourage people to use smaller, isolated containers to reduce explosion severity.

Reaction score
    So like a warhead block but explosion radius and power is based on the valueable material it holds? I like it. I suggest just plain explosives for one of them, used to make warheads and expensive.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Valiant70 , here is a thread that, though focused on something else, has a really good idea in the OP relating to this topic.
    Recognized by Council - Resources Overhaul

Basically the idea of that thread is that cargo blocks can be linked to storage-effect blocks to become specialized storage space. Dehumidifiers create dry storage, cryochambers make cold storage, empty tanks make liquid storage, etc.

So for a red crystal from a red planet that exists in high heat, you need a heated storage unit. For blue crystals from frozen planets you need cold storage. Of course, you can also do radiation shielding, high pressure, magnetic fields, non-atmospheric, or whatever fun names and ideas.

The problem would be what happens when you put something in the wrong storage. Does it decay into something else? Can it just not be stored? Does it explode? Also, if a component needs special storage what happens when an astronaut picks it up by hand?

The same questions can be applied to your hazard blocks. I step on this block and it explodes. So I pick it up and put it in my pocket. Problem solved? I touch this block and it hurts. I pick up a stack of 100 blocks. How much does that hurt?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem would be what happens when you put something in the wrong storage. Does it decay into something else? Can it just not be stored? Does it explode? Also, if a component needs special storage what happens when an astronaut picks it up by hand?
    I suppose that depends on what it is. Pick a consequence that makes sense based on what the material is. I suppose you couldn't pick up liquids without equipment and putting icy crystals in your pockets would let them melt.

The same questions can be applied to your hazard blocks. I step on this block and it explodes. So I pick it up and put it in my pocket. Problem solved? I touch this block and it hurts. I pick up a stack of 100 blocks. How much does that hurt?
    If you try to pick it up without special equipment like a specialized mining beam linked to appropriate hazard storage, it would probably explode in your face. Unless your backpack has some kind of shielding in it, picking up contact-damage blocks would probably deal damage until you got rid of them.