half blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    YES WE KNOW ITS BEEN SAID, TALKED ABOUT, AND MENTIONED, WHATEVER ALREADY SO YOU DON'T NEED SAY SO. use your brain and add something more useful to the actual topic please.

This is an idea that's been tossed around for a while, and it also has been debated about quite extensively. but, since the new feed back tags are here, I think its time to reexamine this idea once again. It's something that was sidelined till the game had more to offer in terms of decorative items.

We have been seeing many new decorative blocks. so it only makes sense that this kind of feature should be made eventually. Its been mentioned that if this kind of half height block were made, it would allow us to make more compact interiors for ships. While true, that is not the chief reason why so many have wanted it.

half height blocks would work to also allow us to do more with fewer space. some mite think well if we get half block spaces, well what do we do with that unoccupied space? well as we know from minecraft you cant place things on half slabs. the reason for minecraft working this way isn't because the devs wanted to keep them from being used as flooring. it is because if the block is orientated in a half block position which a gap is under the placed item, it would appear to be floating in mid air, because that's the way minecraft itself renders space, no two entities in one space. this problem isn't an issue in starmade as it just doesn't work that way.

So here is why we want them so badly. with the block editor and these shapes could in theory build better more detailed furniture using them with new textures. another reason, is In starmade you can rotate blocks, so if I wanted to, I could rotate one in a vertical position and in theory use it as a psychical railing to separate a room, or for further example as a balcony railing as well.

another thing that has been brought up, is that they would be adding new shapes to the hulls. concerns on this before the multislots were added, was that it would cause more cluttered block Id's. this isn't the case now because of the multislots.

But if it did happen I don't think they should be added as hulls. I think they will need to be a multislot, of their own group, and in the decorative category instead. perhaps call them bulkheads. they also should be blocks that don't have armored versions (to keep them from being used as external hull, or exploited as a cheap or cheating armor type.), and would come in all the same colors as all the basic hull does. but would be only half as thick as a full hull block. Also if possible maybe even make a set of corner versions as well. with flat plates across two sides and a corner cut in, basically a minecraft stair but rotatable in more directions.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    thanks for that, I was hoping you would link that as well. I was just too lazy to go find it.