Guiding Laser and Cruise Control

Reaction score
    So what about guiding laser to guide people to the docking place or to regulate the movement of ship around your station ( you want to avoid ship crashing into each other or the station) You can see guiding laser in pretty much every space theme game .....

Cruise control aka auto pilot but i prefer cruise control because it allow you to set the speed you want your hsip too keep at all time , very usefull to keep a fleet together and in formation while traveling. A cruise control exactly like the one in our cars would be perfect.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A guiding laser seems fiddly to me. Care to elaborate?

I'm thinking that the plex beacon needs to be replicated to a logic-activate-able flare effect in an invisible block. The flare can be colored by slaving colored lights to it. Then you could set up colored flares (I'm thinking Yellow flares would be nice) in a line, outside the docking area, representing holographic guide lights, to serve as a guide into the docking area. Such colored flares would be useful in a bunch of different scenarios.

If the game were 2D, cruise control would be enough, but in 3D, it's extremely hard to get pointed in the same direction. After a couple of sectors, even the most carefully aimed ship can end up a hundred meters away from its correct place in formation. If impact damage is enabled on the server, this can be disastrous. I think we need some kind of relative-location lock instead of just a constant speed, in order to "lock" the target ship into the correct alignment and position relative to the host ship. It would basically be a remote/long-distance docking mechanic that doesn't have a size limitation. The target ship doesn't even need to "aim" at a spot on the host ship. The host ship just selects the target ship where it is via the nav screen, selects some new join-formation option, and BAM, the target ship immediately lines up with the host ship and then the target ship's position relative to the host ship is "locked in". Both ships need to be on the same faction, to avoid "locking" enemy ships. Then any attempt by the target ship to navigate immediately breaks the formation lock. The target ship needs to be set with the same movement as the host ship, so that there isn't a stuttering or a jarring change in velocity when traveling in formation or breaking formation.

Reaction score
    Well your idea is better :P , but yeah something like that would be really usefull

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    line up the centre of your ship with the centre of some entrance or star gate

keep your speed relative to the mother-ship while it's flying

YAY, I want it!

Reaction score
    lasers are already in the game though, just add a support type beam and loop it via logic.
    As for cruise control, again there is logic and systems to achieve this, as well as plans for improvements (eventually) to the nav menu to autopilot to destinations.